Dr. Biswadip Banerji
PhD: Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (Prof. Javed. Iqbal)
M.Sc: Calcutta University
2008: Team lead, Chembiotek-Kolkata
2006-2008: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Prof. K. C. Nicolaou); CSL@ICES-A*-STAR
2003-2006: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Prof. C. J. Schofield); Oxford Centre for Molecular Science (OCMS) & Chemistry Research Laboratory (CRL), Oxford University, UK
- Design and synthesis of small peptide/peptidomimetics and study their biological/biophysical properties.
- Design, synthesis, biophysical and biological efficacy studies of different nano-materials (peptidic/ nonpeptidic).
- Nanoparticle based drug delivery system using anticancer drugs and synthesized bioactive molecules in the lab.
- Synthesis of novel, hitherto unknown Fused heterocyclic scaffolds by Novel intramolecular cyclization reactions.
- Synthesis of natural products and natural products based hybrid scaffolds and its application in therapeutics.
- C-H Activation reaction to construct novel Fused heterocycles (Ref: 2)
- Novel Ligand design & ion-sensing (Ref: 1), Molecule sensing (Hydrazine), Organelle Sensing (Lysosome) etc
- Development (Translation) of New molecules into product based small gadgets (like fluoride detector, Arsenic removal column etc)
Some of the reported Research Activities from the group:
Dr. Biswadip Banerji, Satadru Chatterjee etc al, Chemsitry Select, 2018, doi.org/10.1002/slct.201703062
In the present study, a 24‐member symmetrical, cyclic dimeric turn like structure was synthesized by an intra molecular heck reaction. The molecule shows two consecutive 8‐member intra molecular hydrogen bonds at the two ends, which helps the structure to adopt a dimeric pseudo turn like structure. The molecule has been shown to bind DNA minor groove like DAPI (4′,6‐diamidino‐2‐phenylindole).
A Metal‐Free Oxidative Carboannulation Approach towards Synthesis of 2,3‐Diarylindenones and Its Regioisomers
A metal free, PIDA (Iodosobenzene diacetate) mediated radical oxidative annulation of aromatic aldehydes with 1,2‐diphenylethyne was developed, resulting an array of 2,3‐diaryl indenones in moderate to good yields. This methodology requires no preactivation of the aldehyde groups and involves activation of the C(sp)‐C(sp) bond of the internal alkyne by in situ generated acyl radical under metal free condition. This procedure is applicable to a large variety of functionalized substrates specially heterocyclic aldehydes and ortho hydroxyl aromatic aldehydes to give 2,3‐diaryl indenones. Interestingly, meta substituted aromatic aldehyde provided two regioisomers in 1:1 ratio when they were subjected to the experimental condition. These two regioisomers were isolated by column chromatography and their colour, spectral data and crystal structures were investigated.
C-H Activation Methodology to construct new Heterocycles:
Expedient synthesis of a phenanthro-imidazo-pyridine fused Hetero-polynuclear framework via CDC coupling: a new class of luminophores
Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2017, DOI: 10.1039/ C7OB00564D
Natural Product Derived New Hybrid Molecule as Anti Cancer Agents:
Biophysical studies of different Peptide based nanoparticles:
Tripeptide consisting of benzyl protected di-cysteine and phenylalanine forms spherical assembly and induces cytotoxicity in cancer cells via apoptosis
RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 112667-112676
New Ligand Design to Use as Different Sensors:
Naked Eye: Yellowish green to colourless
Under UV (365 nm): Bluish-purple colour
Fluoride Anion Sensor:
(A) Colorimetric &
(B) Fluorescence responses of the ligand (1mM in DMSO) in presence of water solution of 5 eq. TBAF
- Chandrasekhar (SRF)
- Satadru Chatterjee (SRF)
- Saswati Adhikary (SRF)
- Leena Majumder (SRF)
- Debabrata Sarkar (JRF)
- Saswati Ghosh (JRF)
- Suvankar Bera (Project fellow)
- Sunil K Killi (Research Associate)
- Moumita Chatterjee, (Research Associate)
Position available for sincere & dedicated candidates aspiring to do PhD/RA/PDF in the area of synthetic Organic chemistry, Biorganic Chemistry, Nanochemistry, Chemical Biology, Medicinal Chemistry etc. Students with scholarships (UGC/NET etc) may directly apply to my email with full CV
- Synthesis and DNA-Binding Studies of A New Cyclic Dimeric Symmetrical Pseudo-Turn Mimetic; Biswadip Banerji*, Satadru Chatterjee, Sunil Kumar Killi, D. Srinivas, Chandraday Prodhan, Atul Katarkar, Keya Chaudhuri, Chemistry Select, DOI: 10.1002/slct.201703062
- A Metal-Free Oxidative Carboannulation Approach towards Synthesis of 2,3-Diarylindenones and Its Regioisomers; Biswadip Banerji*, Leena Majumder, Saswati Adhkaryi, Chemistry Select, 2018, 3, 5, 1381–1384.
- Formation of Annular Protofibrillar Assembly by Cysteine Tripeptide: Unraveling the Interactions with NMR, FTIR, and Molecular Dynamics; Biswadip Banerji* , Moumita Chatterjee, Uttam Pal, and Nakul C. Maiti*; J. Phys. Chem. B, 2017, 121 (26), pp 6367–6379
- Palladium-Catalyzed Direct Synthesis of Phenanthridones from Benzamides through Tandem N–H/C–H Arylation; Biswadip Banerji*, Satadru Chatterjee, K. Chandrasekhar, Chinmay Nayan, Sunil Kumar Killi; Euro. J. Org. Chem, 2017, 35, 5214–5218.
- Expedient synthesis of a phenanthro-imidazo-pyridine fused heteropolynuclear framework via CDC coupling: a new class of luminophores; Biswadip Banerji,* Satadru Chatterjee, K. Chandrasekhar, Suvankar Bera, Leena Majumder, Chandraday Prodhan and Keya Chaudhuri, Org & Biomol Chem, 2017, 15, 4130-4134.
- Envisaging Structural Insight of a Terminally Protected Proline Dipeptide by Raman Spectroscopy and Density Functional Theory Analyses; Supriya Das, Uttam Pal, Moumita Chatterjee, Sumit Kumar Pramanik, Biswadip Banerji*, and Nakul C. Maiti*; J. Phys. Chem. A, 2016, 120 (49), pp 9829–9840.
- Tripeptide consisting of benzyl protected di-cysteine and phenylalanine forms spherical assembly and induces cytotoxicity in cancer cells via apoptosis; Biswadip Banerji*, Moumita Chatterjee, Chandraday Prodhan and Key Chaudhuri, RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 112667-112676.
- Neo-tanshinlactone D-ring modified novel analogues induce apoptosis in human breast cancer cell via DNA damage, Biswadip Banerji*, , Sunil Kumar Killi, Atul Katarkar, Satadru Chatterjee, Yellaiah Tangella, Chandraday Prodhan, Keya Chaudhuri; Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2016, article in press.
- Molecular Details of Acetate Binding to a New Diamine Receptor by NMR and FT-IR Analyses, Biswadip Banerji*, Moumita Chatterjee, Uttam Pal, and Nakul Chandra Maiti*, Journal of Physical Chemistry-A, 2016, 120 (15), 2330–2341
- Regioselective Synthesis of Quinazolinone-/Phenanthridine-Fused Heteropolycycles by Pd-Catalyzed Direct Intramolecular Aerobic Oxidative C-H Amination from Aromatic Strained Amides; Biswadip Banerji*; Suvankar Bera, Satadru Chatterjee, Sunil Kumar Killi, Saswati Adhikary; Chemistry – A European Journal (2016), 3506-3512.
- Silver-Catalyzed Azide–Alkyne Cycloaddition (AgAAC): Assessing the Mechanism by DFT Calculations, Biswadip Banerji,* K Chandrasekhar, Sunil Kumar Killi, Sumit Kumar Pramanik, UttamPal, Sudeshna Sen and Nakul Chandra Maiti, RSc Open Science, just accepted
- Synthesis and cytotoxicity studies of 1-propenyl-1,3-dihydro-benzimidazol-2-one, Biswadip Banerji* and Sumit kumar Pramanik; Journal of Chemical Biology 2015, 8(3), 73.
- 5. Binding studies of creatinine and urea on iron-nanoparticle; Biswadip Banerji*, Pramanik, Sumit Kumar; SpringerPlus 4.1 (2015): 1-9.
- Copper (I) oxide nanoparticle and tryptophan as its biological conjugate: a modulation of cytotoxic effects. Mritunjoy Maity, Sumit Kumar Pramanik, Uttam Pal, Biswadip Banerji andNakul Chandra Maiti; J Nanopart Res,2013, 16 (1), 1-13.
- Efficacy of Cyclin dependent kinase 4 (Cdk4) inhibitors as potent neuroprotective agents in cellular models of Alzheimer’s disease. Priyankar Sanphui, Sumit kumar Pramanik, P. Moorthi, Biswadip Banerji and Subhas C Biswas; PLOS ONE, 2013, 8 (11), e78842.
- Synthesis of Sulfonamide Derived from New Tetrahydroquinazoline Derivatives via Intramolecular cyclization. Biswadip Banerji, Moumita Chatterjee, Suvankar Bera and Mohd Usman Mohd Siddique; JMED Research, 2014, Article ID 464776, DOI: 10.5171/2014.464776.
- Synthesis and Cytotoxicity Studies of Novel Triazolobenzoxazepine as New Anticancer Agents Biswadip Banerji , Sumit Kumar Pramanik , Priyankar Sanphui, Sameer Nikhar, and Subhas Chandra Biswas; Chemical Biology & Drug Design, 2013, 82 (4), 401-409
- Potent anticancer activity of cystine-based dipeptides and their interaction with serum albumins, Biswadip Banerji , Sumit Kumar Pramanik , Uttam Pal and Nakul Chandra Maiti; Chemistry Central Journal, 2013, 7:91
- Dipeptide derived from benzylcystine forms unbranched nanotubes in aqueous solution, Biswadip Banerji , Sumit Kumar Pramanik , Uttam Pal and Nakul Chandra Maiti Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry 2013, 3 (1), 12
- Conformation and Cytotoxicity of a Tetrapeptide Constellated with Alternative D- and L Proline, Biswadip Banerji , Sumit Kumar Pramanik , Uttam Pal and Nakul Chandra Maiti RSC Adv., 2012, 2, 6744-6747
- Synthesis, characterization and cytotoxicity study of magnetic (Fe3O4) nanoparticles and their drug conjugate Biswadip Banerji , Sumit Kumar Pramanik , Samir Mandal , Nakul Chandra Maiti and Keya Chaudhuri RSC Adv., 2012, 2, 2493-2497.
- Total Synthesis of the Originally Proposed and Revised Structure of Palmerolide A; K. C. Nicolaou*, Ramakrishna Guduru, Ya-Ping Sun, Biswadip Banerji, David Chen Yu- Kai* Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 5896
- Total Synthesis of the Proposed and Revised Structure of Palmerolide A; K. C. Nicolaou*, Ya-Ping Sun, Ramakrishna Guduru, Biswadip Banerji, David Chen Yu- Kai* J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2008, 130(11), 3633-3644
- Selective Inhibition of Factor Inhibiting Hypoxia Inducible Factor Michael A. McDonough, Luke A. McNeill, Melanie Tilliet, Cyril A. Papamicaël, Qiu-Yun Chen, Biswadip Banerji, Kirsty S. Hewiston, Christopher J. Schofield* J. Am. Chem. Soc, 2005, 127(21), 7680-7681
- The Inhibition of Factor Inhibiting Hypoxia Inducible Factor (FIH) by β-oxocarboxylic acids; Biswadip Banerji, Ana Conejo-Garcia, Luke McNeill, Michael A. McDonough, Matthew Buck, Kirsty S. Hewitson, Neil J. Oldham & Christopher J. Schofield*; Chem.Com, 2005, 43, 5438
- Design, Synthesis and Conformational analysis of Inverse γ-Turn Cyclic Peptidomimetic of Hypoxia Inducible Factor (HIF); Morakot Kaewpet, Barbara Odell, Michael King, Biswadip Banerji, , Christopher J. Schofield* & Timothy D. Claridge; Org. Biomol.Chem, 2008, 6, 3476
- Palladium (0) Catalyzed Regioselective Synthesis of α-Dehydro-β-Amino Ester From Amines and Allyl acetates: Synthesis of α-Dehydro-β Aminoacid Derived Cyclic Peptide As a Constrained β-turn Mimic; S. Rajesh, Biswadip Banerji and Javed Iqbal*; J. Org. Chem, 2002, 67(22), 7852-7857
- Synthesis of Cyclic Pseudo 310-Helical Structure From β-Amino Acid-L-Proline Derived Tripeptides Via Ring Closing Metathesis; Biswadip Banerji, B. M. Mallesh, S. Kiran kumar, A.C. Kunwar and Javed Iqbal.*; Tetrahedron Lett., 2002, 43(36), 6479-6483
- Synthesis of Cyclic β- Turn Mimics From L-Pro-Phe / Phe-L-Pro Derived di- and Tri-peptides Via Ring Closing Metathesis: The Role of Chirality of Phe- Residue During Cyclisation; Biswadip Banerji, Madhushree Bhattacharya, Rajesh B. M, Saibal Kumar Das and Javed Iqbal.*; Tetrahedron Lett., 2002, 43(36), 6473-6477
- A Facile Conversion of 310 Helical Structure To Cyclic β-Turn Mimic In Dehydro- Phenylalanine Derived Small Peptides Through Ring Closing Metathesis T. V. R. S. Shastry, Biswadip Banerji, S. Kiran Kumar, A. C. Kunwar, J. P. Nandy
and Javed Iqbal*; Tetrahedron Lett., 2002, 43(42), 7621-7625
- Synthesis of β-Methyl-β-alanine-L-Proline-XAA Tripeptides by Yb(OTf)3 Catalysed Michael Addition of Amines To N-Crotonyl-L-Proline-XAA: A Versatile Route To Cyclic β-Methyl-β-alanine Derived Tripeptides Via Ring-Closing Metathesis; Biswajit Saha, Debasis Das, Biswadip Banerji and Javed Iqbal.*; Tetrahedron Lett., 2002, 43(36), 6467-6471
- Synthesis of Small Cyclic Peptides By Intramolecular Heck Reaction; V. Balraju, Rajmohan Reddy, G. R. Madhavan, Biswadip Banerji and Javed Iqbal.* Tetrahedron Lett., 2003, 44(2), 353-356
- Synthesis of an α-Dehydro-β-Amino Acid Derived Cyclic Peptide As a Constrained β-Turn Mimic S. Rajesh, J. Shrivastava, Biswadip Banerji and Javed Iqbal*; ARKIVOC, 2001, 2, 10, 20-26.
- a-Dehydro-β-Aminoacid Derivatives As Turn Inducers: Synthesis of Potential HIV Protease Inhibitors Based On Structural Mimicry S. Rajesh, J. Srivastava, Biswadip Banerji and Javed Iqbal*, Ind. J. Chem, 2001, 40B, 1029-1032
- Synthesis of L-proline derived cyclic β-turn mimics via ring closing metathesis Rajesh B. M, M. Bhattacharya, Biswadip Banerji and Javed Iqbal*; ARKIVOC, 2004, (viii), 111.