Arindam Talukdar , Ph.D.
Organic & Medicinal Chemistry
Our lab aims to answer fundamental questions that lie at the interface of chemistry and biology by integrating the concept of organic chemistry, biochemistry and molecular modeling to perform structure-based design and synthesis of novel chemical entity to unravel the molecular mechanism and develop potential treatment for human diseases.
Probing Endosomal Toll-like Receptors (TLRs). TLRs are members of the larger family of evolutionarily conserved pattern recognition receptors which are critical first line of defence for self-nonself discrimination by the host immune response. Aberrant endosomal TLR activation is implicated in autoreactive inflammation in different autoimmune diseases. The goal is to rationally design selective inhibitors for the nucleic acid-recognizing TLRs for devising novel therapeutic strategies in relevant clinical contexts.
Epigenetic modifying enzymes as novel therapeutic targets: The main focus is to perform structure-based design and synthesis of small-molecule regulators of epigenetics modifying enzymes such as histone methyltransferases (HMT) as tools to unravel the complex biology of epigenetics and contribute towards epigenetic-based drugs for the treatment of a number of diseases such as cancer, autoimmunity, diabetes, or neurological disorders.
M.Pharmacy (1997) Medicinal Chemistry, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India (Prof. Tilak Raj Juneja).
Ph.D (2003) Organic Chemistry, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, India (Dr. Mukund K Gurjar).
Post-doctoral Research Scholar (2004-2005), The Ohio State University, USA (Prof. Peng George Wang).
Post-doctoral Research Associate (2005-2009), Purdue University, USA (Prof. Mark Cushman).
Senior Research Scientist (2010-2012), Albany Molecular Research Inc. Singapore
Patents & Publications
- Copper-catalyzed selective C–N bond formation with 2-amino, 2-hydroxy and 2-bromo-5-halopyridine. Swarnali Roy, Barnali Paul, Ayan Mukherjee, Biswajit Kundua and Arindam Talukdar*. RSC Advances, 2017, 7, 44366-44370.
- Design and Development of Benzoxazole Derivatives with Toll-like Receptor 9 Antagonism. Swarnali Roy, Ayan Mukherjee, Barnali Paul, Oindrila Rahaman, Shounak Roy, Gundaram Maithri, Bandaru Ramya, Sourav Pal, Dipyaman Ganguly* and Arindam Talukdar*. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2017, 134, 334-347.
- O-Nucleoside, S-Nucleoside, and N-Nucleoside Probes of Lumazine Synthase and Riboflavin Synthase. Arindam Talukdar, Y. Zhao, W. Lv, A. Bacher, B. Illarionov, M. Fischer, and Mark Cushman. Org. Chem., 2012, 77, 6239-6261.
- A Highly Efficient Oxidation of Benzyl Methyl Ethers with NBS Selectively Affords Either Aromatic Aldehydes or Aromatic Methyl Esters. Abdelrahman S. Mayhoub, Arindam Talukdar, and Mark Cushman. Org. Chem., 2010, 75, 3507-3510.
- Virtual Screening, Selection and Development of a Novel Structural Scaffold for Inhibition of Lumazine Synthase. Arindam Talukdar, Ekaterina Morgunova; Jianxin Duan; Winfried Meining; Lennart Nilsson; Adelbert Bacher; Boris Illarionov; Markus Fischer; Rudolf Ladenstein; Mark Cushman. Bioorg Med Chem., 2010, 18, 3518-3534.
- Discovery and Development of a Small Molecule Library with Lumazine Synthase Inhibitory Activity. Arindam Talukdar, Meghan Breen, Adelbert Bacher, Boris Illarionov, Markus Fischer, Gunda Georg, Qi-Zhuang Ye, and Mark Cushman. Org. Chem., 2009, 74 (15), 5123–5134 (Feature JOC Article).
- Synthesis and enzyme inhibitory activity of the S-nucleoside analogue of the ribitylaminopyrimidine substrate of lumazine synthase and product of riboflavin synthase. Arindam Talukdar, Boris Illarionov, Adelbert Bacher, Markus Fischer, and Mark Cushman, Org. Chem., 2007,72, 7167-7175.
- Synthesis and Structure-Activity Relationship Study of Isoglobotrihexosylceramide Analogues. Wenlan Chen, Chengfeng Xia, Jinhua Wang, Prakash Thapa, Yusen Li, Arindam Talukdar, Janos Nadas, Wenpeng Zhang, Dapeng Zhou, Peng George Wang, Org. Chem. 2007, 72, 9914-9923.
- Regioselective synthesis of N-b-hydroxyethylaziridines by ring-opening reaction of epoxides with aziridine generated in situ. Ha Young Kim, Arindam Talukdar, and Mark Cushman, Organic Letters, 2006, 8, 1085.
- A divergent synthesis of uncommon sugars from furanaldehyde. Lizhi Zhu, Arindam Talukdar, Guisheng Zhang, James P. Kedenburg, Peng George Wang, Synlett, 2005, 1547.
- Synthesis of terminal disaccharide unit of Klebsiella pneumoniae. Gurjar, M. K.; Arindam Talukdar, Tetrahedron, 2004, 60, 3267.
- Unusual conversion of sugar oximes to sugar nitriles with ruthenium catalysts. Arindam Talukdar, Synthetic Communications, 2002, 32(22), 3503.
- Heck reaction of (S)-N-Cbz-allyl glycine tert-butyl ester with aromatic halides. Gurjar, M. K.; Arindam Talukdar, Synthesis, 2002, 315.
- Mutagenicity of Sulfoscanate: a comparative study. Juneja, T. R; Arindam Talukdar*, Gupta, R. L., Mutation Res., 2002, 518, 155-161.
- Effect of various alkyl and unsaturated substituents on the mutagenicity of some nitrophenyl thioethers. Juneja, T. R; Arindam Talukdar*, Nimish Mehta, Gupta, R. L., Mutation Res., 2001, 495, 97-102.
- Kinetic resolution of aryl glycidyl ethers: A practical synthesis of optically pure β-blocker (S)-Metoprolol. Gurjar, M. K.; Sadalapure, K.; Adhikari, S.; Sarma, B. V. N. B. S.; Arindam Talukdar.; Chorghade, M. S., Heterocycles, 1998, 48, 1471.
- Purine Based Compounds As Toll-Like Receptor 9 Antagonist. 201711039774. Date of filing: 8th November 2017.
- Bicyclic Compound and Use Thereof for Inhibiting SUV39H2. PCT/US2016/0051350. Date of filing: 12th September, 2016.
- Blocking toll-like receptor 9 signaling with small molecule antagonist. Application No.: 201611009670. Date of filing: 21st March 2016.
- Preparation of 2,5-disubstituted pyrrolidines and tetrahydrothiophenes as leukotrine biosynthesis inhibitors. PCT Int. Appl. WO 2000001670 A1 13 Jan 2000, 80 pp. European Patent EP 1115702, 22 February 2002.