Jayati Sengupta , Ph.D.
Structural Biology & Bioinformatics
My laboratory is engaged in a research program that combines structural biology with functional studies of cellular macromolecular machines with a particular focus on the protein synthesis machinery of the cell. I was fascinated by the structure and function of the astounding molecular machine ribosome during my post doctoral studies in Prof. Joachim Frank’s ribosome research lab and when I started my own research group at IICB, I have decided to continue research in understanding various ribosome-related pathways in bacteria.
Pathogenic bacteria often face major stresses inside human body. Cells express many ribosome-interacting factors which show regulatory function upon binding to the ribosome under various environmental stresses. However, the understanding of the molecular mechanisms of many of these regulatory processes has remained unknown, despite their biological importance.
One of the major goals of my lab is to understand functional role of ribosome-associated, stress-related factors in pathogenic organisms primarily using cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) and single particle image analysis technique. In addition, in collaboration with other research laboratories, we also employ cryo-EM for structural characterization of various bio-macromolecular assemblies with the aim of understanding their roles in health and diseases.
Research Affiliate (2000-2005) and Research Scientist (2006-April,2008),
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, NY, US
Patents & Publications
- Mahesh G, Jaiswal P, Dey S, Sengupta J, Mukherjee S. Cloning, expression, purification and characterization of oligomeric states of the native 5HT2A G-Protein-Coupled Receptor. Protein Pept Lett. 2018 Feb 6. doi: 10.2174/0929866525666180207110137. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pathak BK, Banerjee S, Mondal S, Chakraborty B, Sengupta J, Barat C. Unfolded protein exhibits antiassociation activity toward the 50S subunit facilitating 70S ribosome dissociation.FEBS J. 2017 Nov;284(22):3915-3930. doi: 10.1111/febs.14282. Epub 2017 Oct 19.
- Chakraborty B, Bhakta S, Sengupta J. (2016) Mechanistic Insight into the Reactivation of BCAII Enzyme from Denatured and Molten Globule States by EukaryoticRibosomes and Domain V rRNAs. PLoS One.11(4):e0153928.
- Chakraborty B, Sejpal NV, Payghan PV, Ghoshal N, Sengupta J. (2016) Structure-based designing of sordarin derivative as potential fungicide with pan-fungal activity. J Mol Graph Model. 66:133-42.
- Manidip Shasmal, Sandip Dey, Tanvir R. Shaikh, Sayan Bhakta, Jayati Sengupta (2016) E. coli metabolic protein aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase-E binds to the ribosome: a unique moonlighting action revealed , Scientific Reports 6:19936
- Biprashekhar Chakraborty, Sayan Bhakta, Jayati Sengupta (2016) Disassembly of yeast 80S ribosomes into subunits is a concerted action of ribosome-assisted folding of denatured protein, Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 469(4):923-9.
- Chakraborty B, Mukherjee R, Sengupta J. (2013) Structural insights into the mechanism of translational inhibition by the fungicide sordarin. J Comput Aided Mol Des. 27(2):173-84.
- Shasmal M, Sengupta J. (2012) Structural diversity in bacterial ribosomes: mycobacterial 70S ribosome structure reveals novel features. PLoS One. 7(2):e31742.
- Shasmal M., Chakraborty B., Sengupta J. (2010) Intrinsic molecular properties of the protein-protein bridge facilitate ratchet-like motion of the ribosome Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 399(2), 192-7
- Jayati Sengupta (2010) Complementarity of structural biology methods: ribosome in the spotlight, Current Science, 98(12),1584-1591 (Review, cover art selected)
- Sengupta J., Bussiere C, Pallesen J, West M, Johnson AW, Frank J. (2010) Characterization of the nuclear export adaptor protein Nmd3 in association with the 60S ribosomal subunit J Cell Biol. 2010 189(7):1079-86.
- E. Villa, J. Sengupta, L.G. Trabuco, J. Lebarron, W.T. Baxter, T.R. Shaikh, R.A. Grassucci, P. Nissen, M. Ehrenberg, K. Schulten, J. Frank (2009) Ribosome-induced changes in elongation factor Tu conformation control GTP hydrolysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 106, 1063-8