Dr. Rupak K. Bhadra
PhD, Calcutta University, 1990
- Molecular basis of stringent response regulation in the cholera pathogen Vibrio cholerae cells under nutritional stress including detailed functional characterization of a newly discovered (p)ppGpp synthetase gene relV (at Author’s lab) and its role in the management of nutritional stress in V. cholerae.
- Elucidation of the role of intracellular signaling molecule (p)ppGpp in regulation of gene expression related to growth, virulence, quorum sensing and biofilm formation.
- Functional characterization of the RNA polymerase binding transcription factor DksA of V. cholerae
- CTX phages, genome diversity and evolution of new clones of pathogenic V. cholerae.
- Molecular studies on replication origins of V. cholerae and its use for various purposes.
- Cold shock response and cold shock proteins of V. cholerae.
Apart from above projects, the following projects have been initiated:
- Synthetic biology and metabolic engineering of commercially important plant secondary metabolites
- Large scale sequencing of genomes and comparative genomics particularly bacterial genomics.
- Mr. Ritesh R. Pal, SRF (CSIR)
- Mr Satyabrata Bag, SRF (ICMR)
- Ms. Shreya Dasgupta, SRF (CSIR)
- Ms. Pallabi Basu, JRF (CSIR)
PhD positions: Available for NET Qualified students.
- Dasgupta S, Basu P, Pal RR, Bag S, Bhadra RK. Genetic and mutational characterization of the small alarmone synthetase gene relV of Vibrio cholerae. Microbiology-UK. doi: 10.1099/mic.0.079319-0. pp. 1-12. Epub ahead of print July 1, 2014.
- Bag S, Das B, Dasgupta S, Bhadra RK. Mutational analysis of the (p)ppGpp synthetase activity of the Rel enzyme of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Arch Microbiol. 196(8): 575-588. doi: 10.1007/s00203-014-0996-9. Epub ahead of print May 24, 2014.
- Das B, Nair GB, Bhadra RK. Acquisition and dissemination mechanisms of CTXΦ in Vibrio cholerae : New paradigm for dif residents. World J Med Genetics. 4(2): 27-33, 2014.
- Pal P, Pal A, Niyogi SK, Ramamurthy T, Bhadra RK. Comparative analysis of the genomes of Shigella dysenteriae type 2 & type 7 isolates. Indian J Med Res. 137(1):169-177, 2013.
- Pal RR, Bag, S., Dasgupta, S., Das B., Bhadra, RK. Functional Characterization of the Stringent Response Regulatory Gene dksA of Vibrio cholerae and Its Role in Modulation of Virulence Phenotypes. J. Bacteriol. August 17, 2012 PMID22904284.
- Bhadra, RK. 2012. Synthetic genetic circuits and its applications. Science & Culture. 78 (3-4): 122-125.
- Pal RR, Das B, Dasgupta S, Bhadra RK. (2011) Genetic components of stringent response in Vibrio cholerae. Indian J Med Res. Feb;133(2):212-217.
- Majumdar T, Das B, Bhadra RK, Dam B, Mazumder S. (2011) Complete nucleotide sequence of a quinolone resistance gene (qnrS2) carrying plasmid of Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from fish. Plasmid. 66(2): 79-84.
- Syngkon A, Elluri S, Koley H, Rompikuntal PK, Saha DR, Chakrabarti MK, Bhadra RK, Wai SN, Pal A. (2010) Studies on a novel serine protease of a ΔhapAΔprtV Vibrio cholerae O1 strain and its role in hemorrhagic response in the rabbit ileal loop model. PLoS One. 5(9). pii: e13122
- Bhadra, R. K., Das S., Nair, G. B. (2010) The Immunological basis for immunization Series: Module 14:Cholera. WHO, Geneva, pp. 1-43.
- Halder, K., Das, B., Nair G. B., Bhadra R. K. (2010) Molecular evidence favouring step-wise evolution of Mozambique Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor hybrid strain. Microbiology. 56: 99-107.
- Das, B., Pal, R. R., Bag, S. and Bhadra, R. K. (2009) Stringent response in Vibrio cholerae: genetic analysis of spoT gene function and identification of a novel (p)ppGpp synthetase gene. Mol. Microbiol. 72: 380-398.
- Chatterjee, S., Patra, T., Ghosh, K., Raychoudhuri, A., Pazhani, G. P., Das, M., Sarkar, B., Bhadra, R. K., Mukhopadhyay, A. K., Takeda, Y., Nair, G. B., Ramamurthy, T., Nandy, R. (2009) K. Vibrio cholerae O1 clinical strains isolated in 1992 in Kolkata with progenitor traits of the 2004 Mozambique variant. J. Med. Microbiol. 58: 239-247.
- Bhowmick, R., Ghosal, A., Das, B., Koley, H., Saha, D. R., Ganguly, S., Nandy, R. K., Bhadra, R. K., Chatterjee, N. S. Intestinal adherence of Vibrio cholerae involves a coordinated interaction between colonization factor GbpA and mucin. Infect. Immun. 76: 4968-4977. 2008.
- Shah, S., Das, B. and Bhadra, R. K. (2008) Functional analysis of the essential GTP-binding protein coding gene cgtA of Vibrio cholerae. J. Bacteriol. 190: 4764-4771.