Dr. Suvendra Nath Bhattacharyya
Swarnajayanti Fellow, Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc)
Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (FNSc)
Fellow of the West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (FAScT)
Member of Guha Research Conference
2017: CDRI Award for Excellence in Drug Research
2016: Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in Biological Sciences and National Bioscience Award
2015: NASI-Scopus Award
2009-2014: International Senior Research Fellow, The Wellcome trust, London
2008-2012: Career Development Awardee of the International Human Frontier Science Program Organization
2004-2008: HFSPO Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
2004: AAAS/Science-GE healthcare Young Scientist Award, USA and INSA Young Scientist award, INDIA
1998-2003: Research Fellow, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Calcutta, India, PhD 2003, Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Mechanism of Extracellular Vesicles (EVs) mediated export of miRNA and its role in disease process.
- Importance of subcellular structures and organelles in post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression in human cells
- Effect of cellular microenvironment on miRNA-mediated gene regulation in mammalian cells.
- Role of host cell miRNAs and other post-transcriptional factors in regulation of parasitic infection of mammalian cells
Laboratory Members: (Post-Doctoral Fellow)
- Dr. Sudarshana Basu (Pool Officer, CSIR)
- Dr. Arnab Das (RA, DBT)
- Dr. Debduti Datta (RA, DBT)
Fellows / RA
- Mrs. Kamalika Mukherjee (SRF)
- Mr. Yogaditya Chakraborty (SRF)
- Mr. Mainak Bose (SPM Fellow)
- Ms. Bartika Ghosal (SRF)
- Mr. Avijit Goswami (SRF)
- Mr. Dipayan De (SRF)
- Ms. Satarupa Ganguly (SRF)
- Mr. Saikat Banerjee (JRF)
- Mr. Diptankar Bandopadhyay (JRF)
- Mr. Susanta Chatterjee (JRF)
- Mr. Syamantak Ghosh (JRF)
- Mr. Sourav Hom Choudhury (JRF)
- Patranabis S, Bhattacharyya SN. P-body-induced inactivation of let-7a miRNP prevents the death of growth factor-deprived neuronal cells.(2017) FASEB J. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chakrabarty, Y, Bhattacharyya S.N.(2017). Leishmania donovani restricts mitochondrial dynamics to enhance miRNP stability and target RNA repression in host macrophages. Mol Biol Cell. 28:1091-1105. (Cover Article).
- Bose, M., Barman, B., Goswami, A., Bhattacharyya, S.N.(2017).Spatiotemporal Uncoupling of MicroRNA-Mediated Translational Repression and Target RNA Degradation Controls MicroRNP Recycling in Mammalian Cells. Mol Cell Biol. 37: pii:e00464-16.
- Mukherjee, K., Ghoshal, B., Ghosh, S., Chakrabarti, Y., Swetha, S., Das, S. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2016). Reversible HuR-microRNA binding controls extracellular export of miR-122 & augments stress response. EMBO Rep. 17: 1184-1203.(Faculty 1000 Prime Article).
- Bose, M. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2016). Target dependent biogenesis of cognate miRNAs in mammalian cells. Nat. commun.7:12200.
- Patranabis, S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2016). Phosphorylation of Ago2 and Subsequent Inactivation of let-7a miRNPs Control Differentiation of Mammalian Sympathetic Neurons. Mol. Cell. Biol. 36,1260-1271.
- Barman, B. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2015). mRNA targeting to Endoplasmic Reticulum precedes Ago protein interaction and miRNA-mediated translation repression in mammalian cells. J. Biol. Chem. 290, 24650-24656.
- Ghosh S., Bose M., Ray A., Bhattacharyya S.N., (2015). Polysome arrest restricts miRNA turnover by preventing their exosomal export in growth retarded mammalian cells. Mol. Biol. Cell. 26, 1072-1083.
- Basu, S. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2014). Insulin-like growth factor-1 prevents miR-122 production in neighbouring cells to curtail its intercellular transfer to ensure proliferation of human hepatoma cells. Nucleic Acids Res., 42, 7170-7185.
- Mazumder, A., Bose, M., Chakraborti, A., Chakrabarti, S. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2013). A transient reversal of miRNA-mediated repression controls macrophage activation. EMBO Rep., 14, 1008-1016.
- Ghosh, J., Bose, M., Roy, S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2013). Leishmania donovani Targets Dicer1to Downregulate miR-122, Lower Serum Cholesterol, and Facilitate Murine Liver Infection. Cell Host Microbe, 13, 277-288.(See Commentary: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2013.02.018)
- Kundu, P., Fabian, M.R., Sonenberg, N., Bhattacharyya, S.N.*, Filipowicz, W*., (2012). HuR protein attenuates miRNA-mediated repression by promoting miRISC dissociation from the target RNA. Nucleic Acids Res., 40, 5088-6000.* co-corresponding author
- Cougot, N*., Bhattacharyya, S.N*., Tapia-Arancibia, L., Bordonné R., Filipowicz, W., Bertrand E., and Rage, F., (2008). Dendrites of mammalian neurons contain specialized P-body-like structures that respond to neuronal activation. J. Neuroscience, 28, 13793-13804.* co-first author
- Filipowicz, W., Bhattacharyya, S.N., Sonenberg, N., (2008). Mechanisms of post-transcriptional regulation by microRNAs: are the answers in sight? Nat Rev Genet., 9, 102-114.
- Bhattacharyya, S.N., & Filipowicz W., (2007). Argonautes and company: sailing against the wind. Cell, 128, 1027-1028.
- Pillai, R.S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., & Filipowicz W., (2007). Repression of protein synthesis by miRNAs: How many mechanisms? Trends in Cell Biology, 17, 118-126.
- Bhattacharyya, S.N., Habermacher, R., Martine, U., Closs, E.I., & Filipowicz, W., (2006). Relief of microRNA-mediated translational repression in human cells subjected to stress. Cell, 125, 1111-1124.
- Kotaja, N*., Bhattacharyya, S.N*., Jaskiewicz, L, Kimmins, S, Parvinen, M, Filipowicz, W., & Sassone-Corsi, P., (2006). The chromatoid body of male germ cells: Similarity with processing bodies and presence of Dicer and microRNA pathway components. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A., 103, 2647-2652.* Co-first author
- Pillai, R.S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., Artus, C.G., Zoller, T., Cougot, N., Basyuk, E., Bertrand, E. & Filipowicz W., (2005). Inhibition of translational initiation by let-7 microRNA in human cells. Science, 309, 573-1576.