Dr. Surajit Ghosh
Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC)
Associate Editor, RSC Advances
Scientist, Syngene International Limited (BIOCON GROUP), Bangalore, India (2001- 2004)
PhD, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India, (2004-2008)
Postdoctoral Fellow, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany, (2008-2010)
Ramanujan Fellow (2011-2015)
- Small molecules and peptides for neurogenesis
- Peptides and peptoids for neuroprotection
- Neuroprotective hydrogel for traumatic brain injury (TBI) and neuron cell transplantation.
- Therapeutics for Alzheimer’s Diseases (AD)
Chemical Modulator for Microtubule Function, ROS and Stem Cells:
- Combination therapy targeting microtubule and ROS: Nano-carrier & nano-formulation for targeted drug delivery
- Cell Penetrating Peptide
- Microtubule targeted antimitotic peptides, peptoids and small molecules
- Chemical inhibitors for cancer stem cells
Fellow / RA / PA
Prasenjit Mondal, CSIR-SRF
Saswat Mohapatra, UGC-SRF
Debmalya Bhunia, DST-SRF
Anindyasundar Adak, UGC-SRF
Subhajit Ghosh, Project Fellow
Surajit Barman, UGC-JRF
Krishnangsu Pradhan, UGC-JRF
1. Dr. Abhijit Saha
2. Dr. Batakrishna Jana
3. Dr. Atanu Biswas
64. Debmalya Bhunia, Prasenjit Mondal, Gaurav Das, Abhijit Saha, Pallabi Sengupta, Jagannath Jana, Saswat Mohapatra, Subhrangsu Chatterjee, and Surajit Ghosh.*
Spatial Position Regulates Power of Tryptophan: Discovery of Major Groove Specific Nuclear Localizing Cell Penetrating Tetrapeptide.
J Am. Chem. Soc., Just Accepted, DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b10254, (Impact Factor: 13.858).
63. Prasenjit Mondal, Gaurav Das, Juhee Khan, Krishnangsu Pradhan, and Surajit Ghosh.*
Crafting of Neuroprotective Octapeptide from Taxol-Binding Pocket of β-Tubulin
ACS Chem. Neurosci., Just Accepted, doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.7b0045, (Impact Factor: 3.883)
62. Gaurav Das, Shyamtanu Chattoraj, Somen Nandi, Prasenjit Mondal, Abhijit Saha, Kankan Bhattacharyya* and Surajit Ghosh.*
Probing the conformational dynamics of photosystem I in unconfined and confined spaces.
Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2017, 20, 449-455. (Impact Factor-4.123).
61. Nibedita Nandi, Kousik Gayen, Sandip Ghosh, Debmalya Bhunia, Steven Kirkham, Sukanta Kumar Sen, Surajit Ghosh, Ian W. Hamley, and Arindam Banerjee*. Amphiphilic Peptide-based Supramolecular, Non-Cytotoxic Stimuli-responsive Hydrogels with Antibacterial Activity.
Biomacromolecules, 2017, Just Accepted. (Impact Factor: 5.24)
60. Parag Savla, Gaurav Das, Prasenjit Mondal, Rahul Laxman Gajbhiye, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Surajit Ghosh.*
Methanolic Extract of Papaya Leaves Shows Neuroprotective Effect.
Chemistry SELECT, 2017, Just Accepted.
59. Hilal Ahmad Pal, Saswat Mohapatra, Varsha Gupta, Surajit Ghosh and Sandeep Verma.*
Self-assembling soft structures for intracellular NO release and promotion of neurite outgrowth.
Chem Sci. 2017, DOI: 10.1039/c6sc05017d. (Impact Factor: 8.668)
58. Batakrishna Jana, Prasenjit Mondal , Abhijit Saha, Anindyasundar Adak, Gaurav Das, Saswat Mohapatra, Prashant Kurkute, and Surajit Ghosh.*
Designed Tetrapeptide Interacts with Tubulin and Microtubule.
Langmuir, 2017, DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b01326 (Impact Factor-3.83)
- A Amin, S Nandi, P Mondal, T Mahata, Surajit Ghosh*, and K Bhattacharyya.* Physical Chemistry in a Single Live Cell: Confocal Microscopy.
Phys Chem Chem Phys., (Perspective) 2017, Just Accepted. (IF:4.4)
- A Adak, G Das, S Barman, S Mohapatra, D Bhunia, Surajit Ghosh*
Biodegradable Neuro-Compatible Peptide Hydrogel Promotes Neurite Outgrowth, Shows Significant Neuroprotection, and Delivers Anti-Alzheimer Drug.
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2017, 9, 5067- 5076. (IF- 7.145)
- A Saha, S Mohapatra, G Das, B Jana, S Ghosh, D Bhunia, Surajit Ghosh*
Cancer cell specific delivery of Photosystem I through integrin targeted liposome shows significant anticancer activity.
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2016, Just Accepted. (IF – 7.145)
- D Bhunia, A Saha, A Adak, G Das, Surajit Ghosh.*
A dual functional liposome specifically targets melanoma cells through integrin and ephrin receptors.
RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 113487-113491. (IF- 3.289)
- S Ghosh, S Mohapatra, A Thomas, D Bhunia, A Saha, G Das, B Jana, Surajit Ghosh* Apoferritin-nanocage delivers combination of microtubule and nucleus targeting anticancer drugs.
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2016, 8, 30824–30832. (IF- 7.145)
- S Chakraborty, G Das, Surajit Ghosh, D Mal*
Regioselective synthesis of naphthoquinone/naphthoquinol-carbohydrate hybrids by [4 + 2] anionic annulations and studies on their cytotoxicity.
Org. Biomol. Chem., 2016, 14, 10636-10647. (IF – 3.559)
- S Nandi, P Mondal, R Chowdhury, A Saha, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya*
Amyloid Beta Peptide inside a Reconstituted Cell-like Liposomal System: Aggregation, FRET, Fluorescence Oscillations and Solvation Dynamics.
Phys Chem Chem Phys., 2016, 18, 30444-30451. (IF – 4.449)
- S Mohapatra, A Saha, P Mondal, B Jana, S Ghosh, A Biswas, Surajit Ghosh* Synergistic anticancer effect of peptide-docetaxel nano-assembly targeted to tubulin: Towards development of dual warhead containing nanomedicine.
Adv Healthcare Mater., 2016, Accepted as Cover Page. (IF- 5.76)
- D Bhunia, S Mohapatra, P Kurkute, S Ghosh, B Jana, P Mondal, A Saha, G Das, Surajit Ghosh*
Novel Tubulin-targeted Cell Penetrating Antimitotic Octapeptide.
Chem. Commun., 2016, 52, 12657-12660. (IF- 6.567)
- S Mohapatra, S Nandi, R Chowdhury, G Das, Surajit Ghosh*, K Bhattacharyya*. Spectral Mapping of 3D Multi-cellular Tumor Spheroid: Time-resolved Confocal Microscopy.
Phys Chem Chem Phys., 2016,18,18381 – 18390. (IF – 4.449)
- C Ghosh, D Bhunia, S Ghosh, B Jana, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya.*
Fluorescence Probing of Fluctuating Microtubule using a Covalent Fluorescent Probe: Effect of Taxol.
Chemistry SELECT, 2016, 1, 1841-1847.
- B Jana, S Mohapatra, P Mondal, S Barman, K Pradhan, A Saha, Surajit Ghosh*
α-Cyclodextrin Interacts Close to Vinblastine Site of Tubulin and Delivers Curcumin Preferentially to the Tubulin Surface of Cancer Cell.
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2016, 8, 13793–13803. (IF- 7.145)
- A Adak, S Mohapatra, PMondal, B Jana and Surajit Ghosh.*
Design of novel microtubule targeted peptide vesicle for delivering different anticancer drugs.
Chem.Commun., 2016, 52, 7549-7552. Accepted as Cover Page. (IF:6.83)
- K Basu, A Baral, S Basak, A Dehsorkhi, J Nanda, D Bhunia, Surajit Ghosh, V Castelletto, I W Hamley, A Banerjee*
Peptide based hydrogels for cancer drug release: Modulation of stiffness, drug release and proteolytic stability of hydrogels by incorporating D-amino acid residue(s). Chem.Commun. 2016, Just Accepted. (IF:6.83)
- J B. Nair, M M Joseph, S Mohapatra, M. Safeera, Surajit Ghosh,* T. T. Sreelekha,* K K Maiti*.
A Dual-Targeting Octaguanidine–Doxorubicin Conjugate Transporter for Inducing Caspase-Mediated Apoptosis on Folate-Expressing Cancer Cells.
ChemMedChem. 2016, 11. (IF:2.968)
- S Chattoraj, M A Amin, S Mohapatra, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya*
Cancer Cell Imaging by In Situ Generated Gold Nano-clusters.
ChemPhysChem, 2016, 17, 61-68. (Highlighted in Cover-page). (IF:3.41)
- S Chattoraj, M A Amin, B Jana, S Mohapatra, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya* Selective Killing of Breast Cancer Cells by Doxorubicin Loaded Fluorescent Gold Nano-Cluster: Confocal Microscopy and FRET.
ChemPhysChem, 2015, Just Accepted. (IF:3.41)
- A Saha, S Mohapatra, P Kurkute, B Jana, J Sarkar, P Mondal, Surajit Ghosh*
Targeted delivery of novel peptide-docetaxel conjugate to MCF-7 cell through Neuropilin-1 receptor: Reduced toxicity and enhanced efficacy of docetaxel.
RSC Adv., 2015,5, 92596-92601. (IF:3.84)
- D Bhunia, R Chowdhury, K Bhattacharyya,* Surajit Ghosh*
Fluorescence Fluctuation of Antigen-Antibody Complex: Circular Dichroism, FCS and smFRET of Enhanced GFP and its Antibody.
Phys Chem Chem Phys., 2015, 17, 25250-25259. (IF:4.49)
- A Biswas, P Kurkute, S Saleem, B Jana, S Mohapatra, P Mondal, A Adak, S Ghosh, A
Saha, D Bhunia, S C Biswas and Surajit Ghosh*.
Novel Hexapeptide Interacts with Tubulin and Microtubules, Inhibits Aβ Fibrillation,
and Shows Significant Neuroprotection.
ACS Chem. Neurosci., 2015, 6, 1309-1316. (Highlighted in Cover-page). (IF:4.36)
- B Jana, J Sarkar, P Mondal, S Barman, S Mohapatra, D Bhunia, K Pradhan, A Saha, A Adak, S Ghosh, Surajit Ghosh*
A short GC rich DNA derived from microbial origin targets tubulin/microtubule and induces apoptotic death of cancer cell.
Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 12024-12027 (IF:6.83)
- P Mondal, S Chattoraj, R Chowdhury, D Bhunia, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya* Direct Observation of Growth and Shrinkage of Microtubules by Single Molecule Förster Resonance Energy Transfer.
Phsical Chemistry Chemical Phsyics, 2015, 17, 6687. (IF:4.198)
- A Saha, S Mohapatra, P Kurkute, B Jana and Surajit Ghosh*
Interaction of Aβ peptide with tubulin causes inhibition of tubulin polymerization and apoptotic death of MCF-7 cells.
Chem.Commun., 2015, 51, 2249-2252. Accepeted in cover page of issue. (IF:6.71)
- J B Nair, S Mohapatra, Surajit Ghosh*, K K Maiti*
Novel Lysosome Targeted Molecular Transporter Built On Guanidinium-Poly-(propylene imine) Hybrid Dendron For Efficient Delivery of Doxorubicin Into Cancer Cells.
Chem. Commun., 2015, 51, 2403-2406. (IF:6.71)
- S Roy, A Baral, R Bhattacharjee, B Jana, A Datta, Surajit Ghosh, A Banerjee*
Emission Tuning of Fluorescent Gold Clusters from Blue to NIR, Structural Analysis of the Blue Emitting Au7 Cluster and Cell-Imaging by the NIR Gold Cluster.
Nanoscale, 2015, 7, 1912-1920. (IF:6.73)
- B Jana, A Biswas, S Mohapatra, A Saha, Surajit Ghosh*
Single functionalized graphene oxide reconstitutes kinesin mediated intracellular cargo transport, delivers multiple cytoskeleton proteins and therapeutic molecule into the cell.
Chem. Commun. 2014, 50, 11595-11598. (IF:6.71)
- A Ghosh, R K Kar, J Jana, A Saha, B Jana, J Krishnamoorthy, D Kumar, Surajit Ghosh,* S Chatterjee,* A Bhunia.*
Indolicidin Targets Duplex DNA: Structural and Mechanistic Insight through a Combination of Spectroscopy and Microscopy.
ChemMedChem. 2014, 9, 2052-2058. (IF:3.046)
- R Chowdhury, A Saha, A K Mandal, B Jana, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya.* Excited State Proton Transfer in the Lysosome of Live Lung Cells: Normal and Cancer Cell.
- Phys. Chem. B, 2015, 119, 2149-2156. (IF:3.37)
- S Khanna, B Jana, A Saha, P Kurkute, Surajit Ghosh,*S Verma.*
Targeting Cytotoxicity and Tubulin Polymerization by Metal-Carbene Complexes on a Purine Tautomer Platform.
Dalton Transactions, 2014, 43, 9838-9842. (IF:4.097)
- R Chowdhury, B Jana, A Saha, Surajit Ghosh,* K Bhattacharyya.*
Confocal Microscopy of Cytoplasmic Lipid Droplets in a Live Cancer Cell: Number, Polarity, Diffusion and Solvation Dynamics.
MedChemComm., 2014, 5, 536-539. (IF:2.626)
- A Biswas, P Kurkute, B Jana, A Laskar, Surajit Ghosh.*
Amyloid inhibitor octapeptide forms amyloid type fibrous aggregate and affect in microtubule motility.
Chem. Commun., 2014, 50, 2604-2607. (IF:6.73)
- A Baral, S Roy, A Dehsorkhi, I W Hamley, S Mohapatra, Surajit Ghosh, A Banerjee.* Assembly of an Injectable Non-Cytotoxic Peptide-based Hydrogelator for Sustained Release of Drugs.
Langmuir, 2014, 30, 929-936. (IF:4.314)
- A Biswas, A Saha, D Ghosh, B Jana, Surajit Ghosh.*
Co- and distinct existence of Tris-NTA and biotin functionalities on individual and adjacent micropatterned surfaces generated by photo-destruction.
Soft Matter, 2014, 10, 2341-2345. (IF:4.1)
- I Chakraborty, A Saha, Surajit Ghosh.*
Fabrication of Biotin functionalised SiO2 EM grid for studying biotin tagged biomolecules.
Special IJCA issue: ‘Complex Chemical Systems’ 2013, 52A, 1026-1030. (IF:0.628)
- B Jana, G Mondal, A Biswas, I Chakraborty, A Saha, P Kurkute, Surajit Ghosh.*
Dual functionalised graphene oxide serves as a carrier for delivering oligo-histidine and biotin tagged biomolecules into cell.
Macromol. Biosci. 2013, 13, 1478-1484. (IF:3.6)
- J Jana, R K Kar, A Ghosh, A Biswas, Surajit Ghosh,* A Bhunia* and S Chatterjee.*
Human Cathelicidin Peptide LL37 Binds Telomeric G-Quadruplex.
Mol. Biosyst. 2013, 9, 1833-1836. (IF:3.183)
- B Jana, G Mondal, A Biswas, I Chakraborty, Surajit Ghosh.*
Functionalised TiO2 nanoparticles deliver oligo-histidine and avidin tagged biomolecules simultaneously into the cell.
RSC Adv., 2013, 3, 8215-8219. (IF:3.7)
- A Saha, G Mondal, A Biswas, I Chakraborty, B Jana, Surajit Ghosh.*
In vitro reconstitution of a cellular like environment using liposome for amyloid beta peptide aggregation and its propagation.
Chem. Commun., 2013, 49, 6119-6121. Accepted in Front Cover. (IF:6.71)
- A Saha, I Chakraborty, C Kraft, S Bhushan, Surajit Ghosh.*
Microtubule nucleation from a functionalised SiO2 EM grid.
RSC Adv., 2013, 3, 7688-7691. (IF:3.7)
- A Biswas, A Saha, B Jana, P Kurkute, G Mondal and Surajit Ghosh.*
Facile generation of biotin micropatterned surface by photo destruction serves as a novel platform for microtubule organisation and DNA hybridisation.
ChemBioChem, 2013, 14, 689-694. (IF:3.06)
- Surajit Ghosh, L Adler-Abramovich, E Gazit,* S Verma.*
Spacer driven morphological twist in Phe-Phe dipeptide conjugates.
Tetrahedron, 2013, 69 2004-2009.
- Surajit Ghosh, C Hentrich, T Surrey.*
Micropattern-Controlled Local Microtubule Nucleation, Transport, and Mesoscale Organization.
ACS Chem. Biol., 2013, 8, 673-678. (IF:5.356)
- V Chandrasekhar,* L Nagarajan, S Hossain, K Gopal, Surajit Ghosh, S Verma. Multicomponent Assembly of Anionic and Neutral Decanuclear Copper(II) Phosphonate Cages.
Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 5605-5616. (IF:4.79)
- S Mondal, Surajit Ghosh, S Verma.*
Bottom-up Synthesis of Ferrocenylated Soft Spherical Structures: Ultrastructural Characterization and Electroresponsitivity.
Tet. Lett. 2010, 51, 856-859. (IF:2.39)
- M Bhagawati, Surajit Ghosh, A Reichel, K Froehner, T Surrey, J Piehler.*
Organization of motor proteins into functional micropatterns fabricated by a photo-induced Fenton reaction.
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 9188-9191. Accepted as Hot Paper. (IF:11.829)
- V Chandrasekhar,* L Nagarajan, R Clérac, Surajit Ghosh, T Senapati, S Verma.
Barrel- and Crown-Shaped Dodecanuclear Copper(II) Cages Built from Phosphonate, Pyrazole, and Hydroxide Ligands.
Inorg. Chem. 2008, 47, 5347-5354. (IF:4.79)
- Surajit Ghosh, S Verma.*
Solvent mediated morphological transformation of peptide-based soft structures. Tetrahedron 2008, 64, 1250-1256. (IF:2.8)
- V Chandrasekhar,* R Azhakar, T Senapati, P. Thilagar, Surajit Ghosh, S Verma, R Boomishankar, A Steiner, P Kögerler.
Synthesis, structure, magnetism and nuclease activity of tetranuclear copper(II) phosphonates containing ancillary 2,2 -bipyridine or 1,10-phenanthroline ligands.
Dalton Transaction, 2008, 1150-1160. (IF:4.097)
- V Chandrasekhar,* L Nagarajan, R Clérac, Surajit Ghosh, S Verma.
A Distorted Cubic Tetranuclear Copper(II) Phosphonate Cage with a Double-Four-Ring-Type Core.
Inorg. Chem. 2008, 47, 1067-1073. (IF:4.79)
- Surajit Ghosh, A Mukherjee, P J. Sadler.* S Verma.*
Periodic Iron Nanomineralization in Human Serum Transferrin Fibrils.
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 2217-2221. (Accepted as Very Important Paper, Inside Cover Page, Highlighted by: Nature India; C & E News; Angew. Chem., EurekAlert). (IF:10.87)
- Surajit Ghosh, S Verma.*
Templated growth of hybrid structures at peptide-peptide interface.
Chem. Eur. J. 2008, 14, 1415-1419. (IF:5.696)
- Surajit Ghosh, P Singh, S Verma.*
Morphological Consequences of Metal ion-Peptide Vesicle Interaction.
Tetrahedron, 2008, 64, 1250-1256. (IF:2.79)
- S Verma,* K. B. Joshi, Surajit Ghosh.
Peptide-based soft materials as potential drug delivery vehicles.
Curr. Med. Chem. 2007, 3, 605-611 (Review Article). (IF:4.2)
- Surajit Ghosh, S K Singh, Sandeep Verma.*
Self-assembly and potassium ion triggered disruption of peptide-based soft structures. Chem. Commun. 2007, 22, 2296-2298. (IF:5.1)
- Surajit Ghosh, S Verma.*
Phased Fiber Growth in a Peptide Conjugate: Aggregation and Disaggregation Studies.
- Phys. Chem. B, 2007, 111, 3750-3757. (IF:4.5)
- Surajit Ghosh, Sandeep Verma.*
Metalated peptide fibers derived from a natural metal-binding peptide motif.
Tet. Lett. 2007, 48, 2189-2192. (IF:2.7)
- Surajit Ghosh, M Reches, E Gazit,* S Verma.*
Bioinspired design of nanocages by self-assembling triskelion peptide elements.
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 2002-2004 (Accepted as Inside Cover Page). (IF:10.03)
- A hexapeptide interacts with tubulin/microtubule and exhibits significant neuroprotection against Aβ toxicity thereof. Surajit Ghosh, Atanu Biswas, Prashant Kurkute, Suraiya Saleem, Batakrishna Jana, Saswat Mohapatra, Prasenjit Mondal, Anindyasundar Adak, Subhajit Ghosh, Abhijit Saha, Debmalya Bhunia, Subhash Chandra Biswas. US patent Filed (Application Number: 15/062773).
2. “A LIPOSOMAL COMPOSITION OF PHOTO SYSTEM-I FOR TREATMENT OF CANCER” Surajit Ghosh, Abhijit Saha, Subhajit Ghosh, Saswat Mohapatra, Batakrishna Jana, Debmalya Bhunia. Indian Patent Filed (CSIR Ref. No. 0058NF2016).