Dr. Hemanta Majumder
Senior Scientist NASI
Rajaramanna Fellow, Sir J.C.Bose National Fellow (DST)
PhD, Calcutta University,1975
- Biochemistry of DNA Topoisomerases of Leishmania donovani
- Cloning and characterization of the genes of Type I and Type II DNA Topoisomerases of L. donovani.
- Functional domain organization of the genes of DNA Topoisomerases.
- Programmed cell death in unicellular parasite L. donovani
- Development of therapeutic agents targeted against DNA Topoisomerases.
- Molecular Biology of Kinetoplast DNA.
- Ganguly, A., Das, B. B., Sen, N., Roy, A., Bose Dasgupta, S and Majumder, H. K. (2006) ‘Leish Man’ topoisomerase I: an ideal chimera for unraveling the role of the small subunit of unusual bi-subunit topoisomerase I from Leishmania donovani. Nucleic Acids Res. 34(21), 6286-97.
- Das BB, Sen N, Roy A, Dasgupta SB, Ganguly A, Mahanta BC, Dinda B, Majumder, H. K. (2006) Differential induction of Leishmania donovani bi-subunit topoisomerase I-DNA cleavage complex by selected flavones and camptothecin: activity of flavones against camptothecin-resistant topoisomerase I. Nucleic Acids Res. 34(4):1121-32.
- Das, B. B., Sengupta, T., Ganguly, A. and Majumder, H. K. (2006) Topoisomerases of kinetoplastid parasites;why so fascinating?. Mol. Microbial. 62, 917-27.
- Chaudhuri, P., Majumder, H. K. and Bhattacharya S (2007) Synthesis, DNA binding, and Leishmania topoisomerase inhibition activities of a novel series of anthra[1,2-d]imidazole-6,11-dione derivatives. J Med Chem. 17;50(10):2536-40.
- Das, B. B., Bose Dasgupta S, Ganguly A, Mazumder S, Roy A, Majumder, H. K. (2007) Leishmania donovani bi subunit topoisomerase I gene fusion leads to an active enzyme with conserved type IB enzyme function FEBS J 274(1):150-63.
- Sen. N., Banerjee, B., Das, B. B., Ganguly, A., Sen, T., Pramanik, S., Mukhopadhyay, S. and Majumder, H. K. (2007) Apoptosis is induced in leishmanial cells by a novel Protein Kinase Inhibitor Withaferin A and is facilitated by Apoptotic Topoisomerase I DNA Complex. Cell Death & Differ. Cell Death Differ, 14(2):358-67.
- Bosedasgupta S., Das BB., Sengupta, S., Ganguly, A., Tripathi, G and Majumder, HK (2007) Amino acids 39-456 of large subunit and 210-262 of small subunit constitute the minimal, functionally interacting fragments of the unusual heterodimeric topoisomerase IB of Leishmania. Biochem J. 409(2):481-9.
- Roy A, Das BB, Ganguly A, Bosedasgupta S, Khalkho NV, Pal C, Dey S, Giri VS, Jaisankar P, Dey S, Majumder HK (2007) An insight into the mechanism of inhibition of unusual bi-subunit topoisomerase I from Leishmania donovani by 3,3′-diindolylmethane, a novel DNA topoisomerase I poison with a strong binding affinity to enzyme. Biochem J. 409(2):611-22.
- Bosedasgupta S., Ganguly, A., Roy A., Mukherjee, T. and Majumder, HK (2007) A novel ATP-binding cassette transporter, ABCG6 is involved in chemoresistance of Leishmania. Mol. Biochem Parasitol 158(2):176-88.
- Ganguly A, Das BB, Roy A, Sen N, Dasgupta SB, Mukhopadhyay S, Majumder, HK (2007) Betulinic acid, a catalytic inhibitor of topoisomerase I, inhibits reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptotic topoisomerase I-DNA cleavable complex formation in prostate cancer cells but does not affect the process of cell death. Cancer Res. 67(24):11848-58.
- Bosedasgupta S,Ganguly A, Das BB, Roy A, Khalkho NV, Majumer, H.K. (2008) The large subunit of Leishmania topoisomerase I functions as the ‘molecular steer’ in type IB topoisomerase. Mol. Microbial. 67(1):31-46.
- Bosedasgupta S, Das BB, Sengupta, S., Ganguly A, Roy A, Dey S, Tripathi G, Dinda B, Majumder HK (2008) The caspase-independent algorithm of programmed cell death in Leishmania induced by baicalein: the role of LdEndoG, LdFEN-1 and LdTatD as a DNA ‘degradesome’. Cell. Death & Differ 15(10):1629-40.
- Roy, A., Das, B. B., Ganguly, A., BoseDasgupta, S., Khalkho, N.V.M., Pal, C., Dey, S., Giri, VS., Jaisankar, P., Dey, S. and Majumder, HK (2008). An insight into the mechanism of inhibition of unusual bi-subunit topoisomerase I from Leishmania donovani by 3-3’-di-indolylmethane, novel DNA topoisomerase I poison with a strong binding affinity to the enzyme Biochem. 409, 611-3-622.
- Roy, A, Ganguly, A., BoseDasgupta, S., Das, B. B., Pal, C., Jaisankar, P. and Majumder, HK (2008) Mitochondria-Dependent reactive oxygen species-mediated programmed cell death induced by 3,3’-Diinodlylmethane through inhibition of FOF1-ATP Synthase in Unicellular Protozoan Parasite Leishmania donovani. Mol. Pharmacol. 74, 1292-1307.
- Roy, A, Bosedasgupta, S., Ganguly, A., Jaisankar, P. and Majumder, HK (2009) Topoisomerase I gene mutations at F270 in the large subunit and at N184 in the small subunit contribute to the resistance mechanism of unicellular parasite Leishmania donovani towards 3,3′-Diindolylmethane (DIM) Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53(6):2589-98.