Organic & Medicinal Chemistry Division
Mission & Objectives
- To develop strategies for the synthesis of chiral cyclic ethers, amines and RNA analogs from carbohydrate derivatives.
- To develop new synthetic methodologies, and synthesize heterocyclic compounds for screening biological activities.
- To establish methodologies for carbohydrate-derived structurally unique nucleosides.
- To develop and commercialize herbal medicines and other bioactive molecules.
- To synthesize oligosaccharides and neo-glycoproteins as vaccine candidates, and carry out structural studies on pathogenic bacterial lipopolysaccharides relevant to glycobiology and glycoscience.
- To design and synthesize medium ring heterocycles as potential anti-cancer, anti-hyperlipidemic and antimicrobial agents.
- To develop methodologies for the synthesis of anti-leishmanial and anti-encephalitis compounds based on quinolines.
- To design and synthesize novel chiral surfactants for exploring new reaction systems and reagents for carrying out selective organic reactions in organized media.
- To study nanoscopic materials such as stabilized nanoparticles and nanofibers.
- To isolate and characterize bioactive substances from medicinal plants.
- To understand the mode, mechanism, sequence specificity and energetics of binding of alkaloids and other natural products to polymorphic nucleic acid structures.