Dr. Rupasri Ain
PhD, Indian Institute of Science, 1998
1) Research Associate, Freie Universitaet, Berlin, Germany (1998)
2) Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, USA (1998-2003)
2007-2012: Head, Mouse Genetics Facility, National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bangalore, India
2003-2006: Research Assistant Professor, Department of Molecular and Integrated Physiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, USA
2000-2002: Post-doctoral Fellowship, American Heart Association, USA.
1999: Post-doctoral Fellowship, KUMC Biomedical Research Training Program, USA
1993-1997: Research Fellow, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
Regulations of angiogenesis, differentiation of trophoblast stem cells and spiral artery remodelling at the maternal-fetal interface
Our laboratory focuses on utero-placental development during the most vulnerable period of mammalian life. We work on the fascinating transient endocrine organ, called placenta, in particular, the placenta derived molecules that regulate placental vasculature and trophoblast cell phenotype. We are also interested in the regulation of trophoblast stem cell differentiation and signaling pathways controlling their fate. In addition, we are working on the regulation of spiral artery remodelling by uterine Natural Killer cells and invasive trophoblast cells. We use the tools and concepts of molecular biology, cell and developmental biology, genetics, microscopy to further our understanding of trophoblast stem cell differentiation, angiogenesis and placental development. Finally, the goal of our laboratory is to translate our laboratory findings into developing bio-markers for early detection of IUGR/preeclampsia that affects a considerable proportion of Indian population.
- Dr. Madhurima Paul, DBT-Research Associate, PhD from Calcutta University, Biochemistry
- Dr. Sarmita Jana, Research Associate, PhD from MSU, Baroda, Biotechnology
- Dr. Sarbani Saha, Research Associate, PhD from Ain Lab, IICB.
- Trishita Basak, CSIR-SRF, Integrated M.Sc. in Biotechnology from St. Xavier’s College.
- Debdyuti Nandy, CSIR-SRF M.Sc. (St. Xavier’s College) in Microbiology.
- Sonali Das, CSIR-SRF, M.Sc. (Bose Institute) in Life Sciences (Jointly with Prof. Nahid Ali).
- Rumela Bose, CSIR- SPM-JRF, Integrated M.Sc. in Biotechnology from St. Xavier’s College.
- Safirul Islam, UGC-JRF, M.Sc. in Microbiology from St. Xavier’s College.
- Shreya Das, UGC-JRF, M.Sc. in Biochemistry from University of Calcutta
1. Dr. Shreeta Chakraborty, PhD from Ain Lab (2012-2018). Current Position: Post-doctoral Fellow, National Institute of Health, USA
2. Dr. Abhishek Jaiswal, DST-NPDF from Ain Lab (2016-2018). Current Position: Research Scientist, Midnapore Medical College and Hospital.
3. Dr. Abhinaba Sinha , DSt-NPDF from Ain Lab (2016-2017). Current Position: Assistant Professor, Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandira.
- Chakraborty S and Ain R (2018) NOSTRIN: A novel modulator of trophoblast giant cell differentiation. Stem Cell Research. 31:135-146.
- Bose R and Ain R (2018) Regulation of transcription by Circular RNAs. In “Circular RNAs: Biogenesis and Functions”, Springer Nature Publishers, Book Series: Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 1087:81-94.
- Chakraborty S, Islam S, Saha S and Ain R (2018) Dexamethasone-induced Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction impacts NOSTRIN and its downstream effector genes in the rat mesometrial uterus. Scientific Reports. 8(1):8342-8354
- Saha S, Chakraborty S, Bhattacharyay A, Biswas A and Ain R (2017) MicroRNA regulation of Transthyretin in trophoblast differentiation and Intra-Uterine Growth Restriction. Sci Rep. 7(1):16548-16560.
- Chakraborty S and Ain R (2017) Nitric-oxide synthase trafficking inducer is a pleiotropic regulator of endothelial cell function and signaling. J Biol Chem. 292(16):6600-6620.
- Joshi R, Quadros R, Drumm M, Ain R, Panicker M (2017) Sedative effect of Clozapine is a function of 5-HT2A and environmental novelty. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 27(1):70-81.
- Chakraborty S and Ain R (2016) “Endothelial Cell Biology: Assessment of Endothelial Cell Function” in Trends in Experimental Biology, Volume-II. L. Kma ed. pp. 1-27. Excel India Publishers, New Delhi, India.
- Saha S, Choudhury J and Ain R (2015) MicroRNA-141-3p and miR-200a-3p regulate Insulin-like growth factor-II during mouse placental development. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 414:186-193.
- Rosario GX*, Ain R*, Konno T and Soares MJ (2009) Intrauterine fate of invasive trophoblast cells. Placenta 30 (5): 457-463. *Equal contribution
- Chaturvedi G, Simone PD, Ain R, Soares MJ and Wolfe MW (2009) Noggin maintains pluripotency of human embryonic stem cells grown on matrigel. Cell Proliferation 42 (4): 425-433.
- Soares MJ, Alam SMK, Konno T and Ain, R. (2007) The prolactin family: regulators of uterine biology. In: Endometrium-2, J. Aplin, A. Fazleabas, S.R. Glasser, L. Giudice (eds), Taylor and Francis Publishers, London, pp. 342-353
- Ain R*, Konno T, Canham LN and Soares MJ (2006) Phenotypic analysis of the rat placenta. In: Soares MJ and Hunt JS (eds) Placental and trophoblast biology: Methods in Molecular Medicine, vol.I, Humana Press, Inc. 121:295-313. *Corresponding Author
- Alam SM, Ain R, Konno T, Ho-Chen JK, Soares MJ (2006) The rat prolactin gene family locus: species-specific gene family expansion. Mammalian Genome. 17(8): 858-877
- Ho-Chen JK, Ain R, Alt AR, Gonzalez NC, Wood JG and Soares MJ (2006) Hypobaric Hypoxia as a Tool to Study Pregnancy-Dependent Responses at the Maternal-Fetal Interface. In: Soares MJ and Hunt JS (eds) Placental and trophoblast biology: Methods in Molecular Medicine, vol. II, Humana Press, Inc. 122:427-434.
- Ain R*, Canham LN and Soares MJ (2005) Glucocorticoid induced intrauterine growth restriction impacts placental prolactin family and IGF-II/Akt signaling pathway. Journal of Endocrinology. 185:253-263. *Corresponding Author
- Ain R, Dai G, Godwin AR, Dunmore J and Soares MJ (2004) A prolactin family paralog regulates reproductive adaptations to a physiological stressor.Proc Natl Acad Sci. USA, 101(47): 16543-16548.
- Ain R*, Trinh M-L, and Soares MJ (2004) Interleukin-11 signaling is required for the differentiation of Natural Killer Cells at the Maternal-Fetal interface. Developmental Dynamics 231(4): 700-708. *Corresponding Author
- Ain R* and Soares MJ (2004) Is the metrial gland really a gland? Journal of Reproductive Immunology 61(2): 127-129. *Corresponding Author
- Pijnenborg R, Aplin JD, Ain R, Bevilacqua E, Bulmer JN, Cartwright J, Hüppertz B, Knöfler M, Maxwell C and Vercruysse L (2004) Trophoblast and the Endometrium––A Workshop Report. Placenta, 25: S42-S44.
- Ain R, Canham LN and Soares MJ (2003) Gestation stage-dependent intrauterine trophoblast cell invasion in the mouse and the rat: novelendocrine phenotype and regulation. Developmental Biology 260: 176-190.
- Ain R, Tash JS and Soares MJ (2003)Prolactin-like protein-A is a functional modulator of Natural Killer cells at the maternal-fetal interface. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 204:65-74.