Dr. Shilpak Chatterjee
- PhD (2006-2011), Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Kolkata, India
- Postdoctoral Research (2011-2018), Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
Immunotherapy of cancer is emerging as a powerful weapon in the oncological armamentarium. Considerable efforts are being made to harness the cytotoxic potential of the T cells to eradicate cancer. Yet, elimination of established tumor is impeded due to the dysfunctionality of the anti-tumor T cells at the tumor site. The major objective of our lab is to understand the mechanism (s) dampening the objective repose of the anti-tumor T cells. Primarily we are focusing on:
- Elucidating the role of cellular metabolism in remodeling the anti-tumor response of T cells.
- Determine the crosstalk between metabolic adaptation and stress response pathways in augmenting the therapeutic efficacy of anti-tumor T cell.
- Determine the role of metabolic requirements in shaping up the functionality of tumor associated myeloid cells.
Positions are available for predoctoral and postdoctoral fellows interested in tumor immunology/immunotherapy research. Candidates should have qualified for NET (CSIR/UGC) or having any other fellowship.
- 1. Chatterjee S, Daenthanasanmak A, Chakraborty P, Wyatt MW, Dhar P, Selvam SP, Fu J, Zhang J, Nguyen H, Kang I, Toth K, Al-Homrani M, Husain M, Beeson G, Ball L, Helke K, Husain S, Garrett-Mayer E, Hardiman G, Mehrotra M, Nishimura MI, Beeson CC, Bupp MG, Wu J, Ogretmen B, Paulos CM, Rathmell J, Yu XZ, Mehrotra S. CD38-NAD+Axis Regulates Immunotherapeutic Anti-Tumor T Cell Response. Cell Metabolism. 2018, 27(1):85-100
- Klarquist J, Tobin K, Farhangi Oskuei P, Henning SW, Fernandez MF, Dellacecca ER, Navarro FC, Eby JM, Chatterjee S, Mehrotra S, Clark JI, Le Poole IC. Ccl22 Diverts T Regulatory Cells and Controls the Growth of Melanoma. Cancer Research. 2016, 76(21): 6230-6240
- Kesarwani P, Chakraborty P, Gudi R, Chatterjee S, Scurti G, Toth K, Simms P, Husain M, Armeson K, Husain S, Garrett-Mayer E, Vasu C, Nishimura MI, Mehrotra S. Blocking TCR restimulation induced necroptosis in adoptively transferred T cells improves tumor control. Oncotarget. 2016, 7(43): 69371-83
- Banerjee A*, Thyagarajan K*, Chatterjee S*, Chakraborty P, Kesarwani P, Soloshchenko M, Al-Hommrani M, Andrijauskaite K, Moxley K, Janakiraman H, Scheffel MJ, Helke K, Armenson K, Palanisamy V, Rubinstein MP, Garrett Mayer E, Cole DJ, Paulos CM, Voelkel-Johnson C, Nishimura MI, Mehrotra S. Lack of p53 Augments Anti-Tumor Functions in Cytolytic T Cells. Cancer Research. 2016, 76(18): 5229-40. (*Co-First Author)
- Nguyen HD, Chatterjee S, Haarberg KM, Wu Y, Bastian D, Heinrichs J, Fu J, Daenthanasanmak A, Schutt S, Shrestha S, Liu C, Wang H, Chi H, Mehrotra S, Yu XZ. Metabolic reprogramming of alloantigen-activated T cells after hematopoietic cell transplantation. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2016, 126(4):1337-52
- Kesarwani P, Thyagarajan K, Chatterjee S, Palanisamy V, Mehrotra S. Anti-oxidant capacity and anti-tumor T cell function: A direct correlation. Oncoimmunology. 2015, 4(1):e985942.
- Eby JM, Kang HK, Tully ST, Bindeman WE, Peiffer DS, Chatterjee S, Mehrotra S, Le Poole IC. CCL22 to Activate Treg Migration and Suppress Depigmentation in Vitiligo. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2015, 135(6):1574-80.
- Chatterjee S, Thyagarajan K, Kesarwani P, Song JH, Soloshchenko M, Fu J, Bailey S, Kraft AS, Vasu C, Paulos CM, Yu XZ, Mehrotra S. Reduced CD73 Expression by IL-1β Programmed Th17 Cells Improves Tumor Control. Cancer Research. 2014, 74(21) : 6048-59.
- Song JH, An N, Chatterjee S, Kistner-Griffin E, Mahajan S, Mehrotra S and Kraft AS. Deletion of Pim kinases elevates the cellular levels of reactive oxygen species and sensitizes to K-Ras-induced cell killing. Oncogene. 2014, September 22. doi:10.1038/onc.2014.306.
- Eby JM, Kang HK, Klarquist J, Chatterjee S, Mosenson JA, Nishimura MI, Garrett-Mayer E, Jack Longley B, Engelhard VH, Mehrotra S, Le Poole IC. Immune Responses In A Mouse Model Of Vitiligo With Spontaneous Epidermal De- And Repigmentation. Pigment Cell Melanoma Research. 2014, 27(6) :1075-85
- Husain S, Abdul Y, Webster C, Chatterjee S, Kesarwani P, Mehrotra S. Interferon-gamma (IFN-γ)-mediated retinal ganglion cell death in human tyrosinase T cell receptor transgenic mouse. PLoS One. 2014, 9(2): e89392.
- Chatterjee S, Eby J, Al-Khami AA, Soloshchenko M, Kang H, Kaur N, Naga O, Murali A, Nishimura MI, Le Poole IC, Mehrotra S. A Quantitative Increase in Regulatory T Cell Controls Development of Vitiligo. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2014, 134(5) : 1285-94.
- 13. Chatterjee S, Chakraborty P, Banerjee K, Sinha A, Adhikary A, Das T, Choudhuri SK. Selective induction of apoptosis in various cancer cells irrespective of drug sensitivity through a copper chelate, copper N-(2 hydroxy acetophenone) glycinate: crucial involvement of glutathione. Biometal. 2013, 26 (3) : 517-34
- Chatterjee S, Das S, Chakraborty P, Manna A, Chatterjee M, Choudhuri SK. Myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) can induce the generation of Th17 response from naïve CD4+ T cells. Immunobiology. 2013, 218 (5) : 718-24
- Chakraborty P*, Chatterjee S*, Ganguly A, Saha P, Adhikary A, Das T, Chatterjee M, Choudhuri SK. Reprogramming of TAM toward proimmunogenic type through regulation of MAP kinases using a redox-active copper chelate. Journal of Leukocyte Biology. 2012, 91 (4) : 609-619 (*Co-First Author)
- Ganguly A, Chakraborty P, Banerjee K, Chatterjee S, Basu S, Sarkar A, Chatterjee M, Choudhuri SK. Iron N-(2-hydroxy acetophenone) glycinate (FeNG), a non-toxic glutathione depletor circumvents doxorubicin resistance in Ehrlich ascites carcinoma cells in vivo. Biometal. 2012, 25 (1) : 149-63
- Ganguly A, Basu S, Chakraborty P, Chatterjee S, Sarkar A, Chatterjee M, Choudhuri SK. Targeting Mitochondrial Cell Death Pathway to Overcome Drug Resistance with a Newly Developed Iron Chelate. PLoS One. 2010, 5(6): e11253.
- Chatterjee S*, Mookerjee A*, Mookerjee-Basu J*, Chakraborty P, Ganguly A, Adhikary A, Mukhopadhyay D, Ganguli S, Banerjee R, Ashraf M, Biswas J, Das PK, Sa G, Chatterjee M, Das T, Choudhuri SK. A novel copper chelate modulates tumor associated macrophages to promote anti-tumor response of T cells. PLoS One. 2009, Sep 16;4(9):e7048. (* Co-First Author)
- Basu S, Majumder S, Chatterjee S, Ganguly A, Efferth T, Choudhuri SK. Detecton and characterization of a glutathione conjugate of a novel copper complex. In vivo. 2009, 23: 401-408.
- Majumder S, Chatterjee S, Pal S, Biswas J, Efferth T, Choudhuri SK. The role of copper in drug-resistant murine and human tumors. Biometals. 2008, 22: 377-384.
- Mookerjee A, Basu JM, Majumder S, Chatterjee S, Panda GS, Dutta P, Pal S, Mukherjee P, Efferth T, Roy S, Choudhuri SK. A novel copper complex induces ROS generation in doxorubicin resistant Ehrlich ascitis carcinoma cells and increases activity of antioxidant enzymes in vital organs in vivo. BMC Cancer. 2006, 6: 267.
- US patent: Process to Generate Superior Anti-Tumor Memory Cells. Provisional application filed 05/15/2015 for MUSC-FRD Technology ID: P1569. PCT filed 04/28/2017. Shikhar Mehrotra, Mike Nishimura, Pravin Kesarwani and Shilpak Chatterjee.
- US patent: CD38-mediated Metabolic Axis in Anti-Tumor Immunotherapy. Provsional application filed 11/09/2016 for MUSC-FRD Technology ID: P1716. PCT filed 11/09/2017. Shikhar Mehrotra and Shilpak Chatterjee.
- Thyagarajan K, Chatterjee S, Kesarwani P, Nishimura MI, Mehrotra S. Quality of CTL Therapies: A Changing Landscape. Resistance of Cancer Cells to CTL-Mediated Immunotherapy, 2015, chapter 14, pages 303-349; Springer International Publishing, Switzerland., eBook ISBN 978-3-319-17807-3
- Choudhuri SK, Majumder S, Chatterjee S, Dey Ghosh R, Ganguly A, Mookerjee A. Copper chelate in overcoming MDR in cancer. Metal Ions in Biology and Medicine, Metal ions and cancer – II: 2008, chapter IX, pages 403 – 412; John Libbery Eurotext, Paris., ISBN: 9782-2-7420-0714-1