Dr. Sib Sankar Roy
Senior Principal Scientist
Metabolic Disorder Laboratory
PhD, Bose Institute, Kolkata
Post Doc: Harvard School of Public Health, Boston.
Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc)
Fellow of the West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (FAScT)
A) Understanding the molecular mechanisms associated with ovarian cancer.
- Interplay and cross-talks among different factors and pathways in ovarian cancer.
- Role of the signaling network and the transcription factors regulating MMPs responsible for invasion, migration and metastasis in ovarian carcinoma.
- Study of different factors and/or signaling pathways inducing EMT.
- Investigating the role of different genes in ovarian disorders with emphasis on collagen metabolism.
B) Investigation on molecular mechanisms behind the insulin resistance and diabetes type 2 (T2DM)
- The molecular mechanism of fatty acid induced insulin resistance is being investigated.
- The role of mitochondrial dysfunction in diabetes is being investigated in suitable model.
- Role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of T2DM
- Identifying pharmacological agents and their mode of action in improving FFA induced insulin resistance.
C) To study the role of Homeodomain Transcription factors in diseases:
- The role of homeodomain transcription factor, Pitx2, in maintaining ovarian structure and function is under investigation.
- The involvement of Pitx2 in promoting ovarian cancer through the activation of growth factor gene and /or signaling pathways are being investigated.
- Ms. Nabanita Das, CSIR-SRF, email@example.com
- Ms. Upasana Ray, UGC-SRF, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Tulika Mitra, CSIR-SRF, email@example.com
- Mr. Ashok Mandala, CSIR-GATE-SRF, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Rahul Bhattacharya, CSIR-JRF, email@example.com
- Ms. Eshani Karmakar, DST-Inspire JRF, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Parash Prasad, CSIR-JRF, email@example.com
- Ms. Sampurna Ghosh, UGC-JRF, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Shreya Roy Chowdhury, Project Fellow, email@example.com
- Ms. Shreya Bandopadhyay, Project Fellow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Shakilur Rahman, Project Fellow, email@example.com
- Mr. Prabir Kumar Dey, Project Asst
- Jain MR, Giri SR, Bhoi B, Trivedi C, Rath A, Rathod R, Ranvir R, Kadam S, Patel H, Swain P, Roy SS, Das N, Karmakar E, Wahli W, Patel PR. Dual PPARα/γ agonist saroglitazar improves liver histopathology and biochemistry in experimental NASH models. Liver Int. 2017 Nov 21. doi: 10.1111/liv.13634. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhattacharya R, Mitra T, Ray Chaudhuri S, Roy SS. Mesenchymal splice isoform of CD44 (CD44s) promotes EMT/invasion and imparts stem-like properties to ovarian cancer cells. J Cell Biochem. 2018 Apr;119(4):3373-3383. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26504. Epub 2018 Jan 4.
- Chatterjee D, Bandyopadhyay A, Sarma N, Basu S, Roychowdhury T, Roy SS, Giri AK.Role of microRNAs in senescence and its contribution to peripheral neuropathy in the arsenic exposed population of West Bengal, India. Environ Pollut. 2018 Feb;233:596-603. doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2017.09.063. Epub 2017 Nov 5.
- Ray U, Roy SS. Aberrant lipid metabolism in cancer cells – the role of oncolipid-activated signaling. FEBS J. 2018 Feb;285(3):432-443. doi: 10.1111/febs.14281. Epub 2017 Oct 23. Review.
- Mitra T, Roy SS. Co-Activation of TGFβ and Wnt Signalling Pathways Abrogates EMT in Ovarian Cancer Cells. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;41(4):1336-1345. doi: 10.1159/000464436. Epub 2017 Mar 9.
- Das N, Mandala A, Bhattacharjee S, Mukherjee D, Bandyopadhyay D, Roy SS. Dietary fat proportionately enhances oxidative stress and glucose intolerance followed by impaired expression of the genes associated with mitochondrial biogenesis. Food Funct. 2017 Apr 19;8(4):1577-1586. doi: 10.1039/c6fo01326k.
- Das N, Mandala A, Naaz S, Giri S, Jain M, Bandyopadhyay D, Reiter RJ, Roy SS. Melatonin protects against lipid-induced mitochondrial dysfunction in hepatocytes and inhibits stellate cell activation during hepatic fibrosis in mice. J Pineal Res. 2017 May;62(4). doi: 10.1111/jpi.12404. Epub 2017 Mar 27.
- Datta S, Choudhury D, Das A, Das Mukherjee D, Das N, Roy SS, Chakrabarti G. Paclitaxel resistance development is associated with biphasic changes in reactive oxygen species, mitochondrial membrane potential and autophagy with elevated energy production capacity in lung cancer cells: A chronological study. Tumour Biol. 2017 Feb;39(2):1010428317694314. doi: 10.1177/1010428317694314.
- Upasana Ray, Shreya Roy Chowdhury, MadavanVasudevan, Kiran Bankar, SusantaRoychoudhury and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Gene regulatory networking reveals the molecular cue to lysophosphatidic acid-induced metabolic adaptations in ovarian cancer cells. Molecular Oncology. Feb 25. doi: 10.1002/1878-0261.12046.
- Shreya Roychowdhury, Upasana Ray, B.P Chatterjee and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Targeted apoptosis in ovarian cancer cells through mitochondrial dysfunction in response to Sambucusnigra agglutinin. Cell Death & Disease (Nature Publishing Group, In Press).
- Nabanita Das, Ashok Mandala, ShamreenNaaz, Suresh Giri, Mukul Jain, DebasishBandyopadhyay, Russel J. Reiter, Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Melatonin protects against lipid-induced mitochondrial dysfunction in hepatocytes and inhibits stellate cell activation during hepatic fibrosis in mice. J. Pineal Research. May; 62(4). doi: 10.1111/jpi.12404.
- Ray U, Chowdhury SR, Roy SS*. (2017) Lysophosphatidic Acid Promotes Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition in Ovarian Cancer Cells by Repressing SIRT1. Cell Physiol. Biochem. 41:795-805. DOI: 10.1159/000458744.
- TulikaMitra and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Co-activation of TGFβ and Wnt signalling pathways abrogates EMT in ovarian cancer cells. Cell Physiol. Biochem. Mar 9;41(4):1336-1345. doi: 10.1159/000464436.
- Nabanita Das, Ashok Mandala, SudarshanBhattacharjee, Debasri Mukherjee, DebasishBandyopadhyay and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Dietary fat proportionately enhances oxidative stress and glucose intolerance followed by impaired expression of genes associated with mitochondrial biogenesis. Food Function. Apr 19;8(4):1577-1586. doi: 10.1039/c6fo01326k.
- Datta S, Choudhury D, Das A, Das Mukherjee D, Das N, Roy S S, Chakrabarti G. (2017) Paclitaxel resistance development is associated with biphasic changes in reactive oxygen species, mitochondrial membrane potential and autophagy with elevated energy production capacity in lung cancer cells: A chronological study. Tumour Biol. Feb;39(2):1010428317694314. doi: 10.1177/1010428317694314
- Ashok Mandala, Nabanita Das, SudarshanBhattacharjee, Bidisha Mukherjee, SatinathMukhopadhyay* and Sib Sankar Roy* (2016) Thioredoxin interacting protein mediates lipid-induced impairment of glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. BiochemBiophys Res Commun. 2016 Oct 28;479(4):933-939. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.09.168. Epub 2016 Oct 1.
- A Pradhan et al, S. S. Roy, S. Maiti Choudhury (2016). Gold nanoparticles from indole-3-carbinol exhibit cytotoxic, genotoxic and antineoplastic effects through the induction of apoptosis. RSC Advances. 2016, 6, 56435; DOI: 10.1039/c6ra05591e
- Atanu Naskar, SusantaBera, Rahul Bhattacharya, PritamSaha, Sib Sankar Roy, Tuhinadri Sen and Sunirmal Jana (2016) Synthesis, characterization and antibacterial activity of Ag incorporated ZnO-graphene nanocomposites. RSC Advances, 6, 88751-88761. DOI: 10.1039/c6ra14808e.
- Sujata Roy Moulik, Puja Pal, Suravi Majumder, Buddhadev Mallick, Shreyasi Gupta, PayelGuha, Sib Sankar Roy and Dilip Mukherjee (2016) Gonadotropin and sf-1 regulation of cyp19a1a gene and aromatase activity during oocyte development in the rohu, L. rohita. Comp BiochemPhysiol, part-A; 196:1-10; doi: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2016.02.004.
- AtanuNaskar, SusantaBera, Rahul Bhattacharya, Sib Sankar Roy and Sunirmal Jana (2015) Synthesis, characterization and cytotoxicity of polyethylene glycol coupled zinc oxide–chemically converted graphene nanocomposite on human OAW42 ovarian cancer cells. Polymers for Advanced Technologies, DOI: 10.1002/pat.3689.
- Moitri Basu, Rahul Bhattacharya, Upasana Ray, Satinath Mukhopadhyay, Uttara Chatterjee and Sib Sankar Roy* (2015) Invasion of ovarian cancer cells is induced by PITX2-mediated activation of TGF-β and Activin-A. Molecular Cancer 14:162: 1-15, DOI 10.1186/s12943-015-0433-y.
- Sudarshan Bhattacharjee, Nabanita Das, Ashok Mandala, Satinath Mukhopadhyay and Sib Sankar Roy* (2015) Fenofibrate Reverses Palmitate Induced Impairment in Glucose Uptake in Skeletal Muscle Cells by Preventing Cytosolic Ceramide Accumulation. Cell Physiol Biochem; 37:1315-1328; DOI: 10.1159/000430399.
- High cAMP attenuation of insulin-stimulated meiotic G2-M1 transition in zebrafish oocytes: Interaction between the cAMP-dependent protein kinase (PKA) and the MAPK3/1 pathways. Maitra S, Das D, Ghosh P, Hajra S, Roy SS, Bhattacharya S. Mol Cell Endocrinol. (2014) Jun 20; 393(1-2):109-119. doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2014.06.008.
- Moitri Basu, Satinath Mukhopadhyay, Uttara Chatterjee and Sib Sankar Roy (2014) FGF16 promotes invasive behavior of SKOV-3 ovarian cancer cells through activation of MAPK signaling pathway. J. Biol. Chem. 289:1415-1428.
- Chatterjee D, Bhattacharya P, Sau TJ, Das JK, Sarma N, Bandyopadhyay AK, Sib Sankar Roy, Giri AK (2014) Arsenic exposure through drinking water leads to senescence and alteration of telomere length in humans: A case-control study in West Bengal, India. Mol. Carcinog. Doi: 10.1002/mc.22150.
- Moitri Basu and Sib Sankar Roy* (2013) Wnt/β-Catenin Pathway Is Regulated by PITX2 Homeodomain Protein and Thus Contributes to the Proliferation of Human Ovarian Adenocarcinoma Cell, SKOV-3. J Biol Chem 288:4355-4367.
- Sonali Ghosh, Moitri Basu and Sib Sankar Roy* (2012) ETS-1 Regulates Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor-induced Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 and Matrix Metalloproteinase-13 Expression in Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cell SKOV-3. J Biol Chem287:15001-15015.
- Shyam Sundar Nandi, Pamela Ghosh and Sib Sankar Roy* (2011): Expression of PITX2 Homeodomain Transcription Factor during Rat Gonadal Development in a Sexually Dimorphic Manner. Cell Physiol Biochem 27:159-170.
- Biswas A, Bhattacharya S, Dasgupta S, Kundu R, Roy SS, Pal BC, Bhattacharya S (2010): Insulin resistance due to lipid-induced signalling defects could be prevented by mahanine. Mol Cell Biochem 336:97-107.
- Barma P, Bhattacharya S, Bhattacharya A, Kundu R, Dasgupta S, Biswas A, Bhattacharya S, Roy SS, Bhattacharya S (2009): Lipid induced overexpression of NF-kappaB in skeletal muscle cells is linked to insulin resistance. Biochim Biophys Acta 1792:190-200.
- Pamela Ghosh, Samir Kumar Saha, Shyam Sundar Nandi, Samir Bhattacharya and Sib Sankar Roy* (2007): Involvement of Pitx2, a homeodomain transcription factor, in hypothyroidism associated reproductive disorders. Cell Physiol Biochem 20:887-898.
- Ghosh P, Saha SK, Bhattacharya S, Bhattacharya S, Mukherjee S, Roy * (2007): Tachykinin family genes and their receptors are differentially expressed in the hypothyroid ovary and pituitary. Cell Physiol Biochem 20:357-368.
- Samir Kumar Saha, Pamela Ghosh, Debanjali Mitra, Satinath Mukherjee, Samir Bhattacharya and Sib Sankar Roy* (2007) Localization and thyroid hormone influenced expression of collagen II in ovarian tissue. Cell Physiol Biochem 19:67-76.
- Dey D, Pal BC, Biswas T, Roy SS, Bandyopadhyay A, Mandal SK, Giri BB and Bhattacharya S (2007) A Lupinoside prevented fatty acid induced inhibition of insulin sensitivity in 3T3 L1 adipocytes. Mol Cell Biochem 300(1-2):149-57.
- Samir Kumar Saha, Pamela Ghosh, Samir Bhattacharya and Sib Sankar Roy* (2007) Procollagen synthesis is increased in hypothyroid rat ovary by a parallel and compensatory pathway. Cell Physiology Biochem 19:313-322.
- Debleena Dey, Anirban Bhattacharya, Sib Sankar Roy and Samir Bhattacharya (2007) Fatty acid represses insulin receptor gene expression by impairing HMGA1 through protein kinase Ce. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 357: 474-479.
- Ghosh P, Saha SK, Bhattacharya S, Bhattacharya S, Mukherjee S, Roy SS* (2007): Tachykinin family genes and their receptors are differentially expressed in the hypothyroid ovary and pituitary. Cell Physiol Biochem 20:357-368.
- Dey D, Basu D, Roy SS, Bandyopadhyay A and Bhattacharya S (2006). Involvement of novel PKC isoforms in FFA induced defects in insulin signaling. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 246(1-2):60-4.
- Samir kumar Saha, Pamela Ghosh, Aditya Konar, Samir Bhattacharya and Sib Sankar Roy* (2005) Differential expression of Procollagen Lysine 2-Oxoglutarate 5-Deoxygenase and Matrix Metalloproteinase Isoforms in Hypothyroid Rat Ovary and Disintegration of Extracellular Matrix. Endocrinology 146(7): 2963-2975.
- Debleena Dey, Mohua Mukherjee, Dipanjan Basu, Malabika Datta, Sib Sankar Roy, Arun Bandyopadhyay and Samir Bhattacharya (2005). Inhibition of Insulin Receptor Gene Expression and Insulin Signalling by Fatty Acid: Interplay of PKC Isoforms Therein. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry; 16:217-228.
- Sib Sankar Roy, Mohua Mukherjee, Samir Bhattacharya, C. N. Mandal, L. Ravi Kumar, Subrata Dasgupta, I. Bandyopadhyay, Katsumi Wakabayashi. (2003) A New Cell Secreting Insulin. Endocrinology 144(4):1585-1593.
- Datta, M., Nagendra Prasad, R. J., Navneet, A. K., Roy, S. S. and Bhattacharya, S. (2002) Thyroid Hormone-induced protein (TIP) gene expression by 3,5,3’-triiodothyronine in the ovarian follicle o perch (Anabas testudineus, Bloch): modulation of 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/Δ5-Δ4-isomerase enzyme by TIP. Gen. Comp. Endocrionol 126, 334-341.