Dr. Subhas C. Biswas
Ph.D. (1998), Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
Post Doctoral Research (1998 – 2009), Columbia University, New York, USA
Neurodegenerative diseases: Molecular basis of neurodegeneration
Neurodegneration underlies the pathology of neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. The molecular events that initiate death of neurons in these diseases are incompletely understood. Identification of molecules that are elevated/activated and are required for neurodegeneration in cellular and animal models of diseases may provide us with novel endogenous targets for therapeutic intervention in these diseases.
Major objectives are:
- Aberrant cell cycle activation and neurodegeneration
- Role and regulation of death-associated proteins during neuronal apoptosis
- Astrogliosis and its contribution to neurodegeneration
- Signalling mechanisms that regulate the level and/or activity of death-associated molecules
- Development of therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases
1 Hrishita Das CSIR-SRF firstname.lastname@example.org 2 Pallabi Bhattacharyya CSIR-SPM-SRF email@example.com 3 Subhalakshmi Guha UGC-SRF firstname.lastname@example.org 4 Anoy Kumar Das UGC-SRF email@example.com 5 Akash Saha UGC-SRF firstname.lastname@example.org 6 Pidi Rameshkumar CSIR-SRF Rameshkumar602@gmail.com 7 Sukanya Sarkar DST-INSPIRE-JRF email@example.com 8 Rebecca Banerjee DST-Women Scientist firstname.lastname@example.org 9 Kusumika Garami DST-Women Scientist email@example.com
- Akhter R, Saleem S, Saha A, Biswas SC. The pro-apoptotic protein Bmf co-operates with Bim and Puma in neuron death induced by β-amyloid or NGF deprivation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2018 Feb 27;88:249-257. doi: 10.1016/j.mcn.2018.02.011.
- Biswas SC, Sanphui P, Chatterjee N, Kemeny S, Greene LA. Cdc25A phosphatase: a key cell cycle protein that regulates neuron death in disease and development. Cell Death Dis. 2017 Mar 23;8(3):e2692. doi: 10.1038/cddis.2017.115.
- Saleem, S and Biswas, S C (2017). Tribbles Pseudokinase 3 Induces Both Apoptosis and Autophagy in Amyloid-β-induced Neuronal Death. J Biol Chem 292: 2571-2585.
- Biswas, S. C.; Sanphui, P.; Chatterjee, N.; Kemeny, S.; Greene, L. A. (2017). Cdc25A phosphatase: a key cell cycle protein that regulates neuron death in disease and development. Cell Death Dis 8:e2692.
- Chatterjee, N.; Sanphui, P.; Kemeny, S.; Greene, L. A; Biswas, S. C. (2016). Role and regulation of Cdc25A phosphatase in neuron death induced by NGF deprivation or β-amyloid. Cell Death Discovery 2: 16083.
- Akhter, R., Sanphui, P., Das, H., Saha, P. and Biswas, S. C. (2015). The regulation of p53 up-regulated modulator of apoptosis by JNK/c-Jun pathway in β-amyloid-induced neuron death. J Neurochem 134:1091-1103.
- Saha, P. and Biswas, S. C. (2015). Amyloyd-β induced astrocytosis and astrocyte death: Implication of FoxO3a-Bim-caspase3 death signaling. Mol Cell Neurosci 68:203-211.
- Biswas, A., Kurkute, P., Saleem, S., Jana, B., Mohapatra, S., Mondal, P., Adak, A., Ghosh, S., Saha, A., Bhunia, D., Biswas, S. C. and Ghosh S. (2015). Novel hexapeptide interacts with tubulin and microtubules, inhibits Aβ fibrillation, and shows significant neuroprotection. ACS Chem Neurosci 6:1309-1316.
- Akhter, R., Sanphui, P. and Biswas, S. C. (2014). The essential role of p53 Upregulated Modulator of Apoptosis and its regulation by FoxO3a transcription factor in β-amyloid induced neuron death. J Biol Chem 289:10812-10822.
- Sanphui, P., Pramanik, S. K., Chatterjee, N., Moorthi, P., Banerji, B. and Biswas, S. C. (2013). Efficacy of Cyclin dependent kinase 4 inhibitors as potent neuroprotective agents against insult relevant to Alzheimer’s disease. PloS One 8(11):e78842.
- Zareen, N., Biswas, S. C. and Greene, L. A. (2013). A feed-forward loop involving Trib3, Akt and FoxO mediates death of NGF-deprived neurons. Cell Death Differ 20(12):1719-30.
- Sanphui, P. andBiswas, S. C. (2013). FoxO3a is activated and executes neuron death via Bim in response to beta-amyloid. Cell Death Dis 4:e625.
- Banerji, B., Pramanik S. K., Sanphui P., Nikhara S. and Biswas S. C. (2013) Synthesis and Cytotoxicity Studies of Novel Triazolo-benzoazulenes as new Anticancer Agents. Chem Biol Drug Des 82: 401–409.
- Biswas, S. C., Zhang, Y., Iyirhiaro, G., Willett, R.T., Rodriguez Gonzalez, Y., Cregan, S. P., Slack, R. S., Park, D. S. and Greene, L.A. (2010). Sertad1 plays an essential role in developmentaland and pathological neuron death. J Neurosci 30(11):3973-3982.
- Biswas, S. C., Buteau, J. and Greene, L.A. (2008). Glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) diminishes neuronal degeneration and death caused by NGF deprivation by suppressing Bim induction. Neurochem Res 33(9):1845-1851.
- Biswas, S. C., Shi, Y., Sproul, A. A. and Greene, L. A. (2007). Pro-apoptotic Bim induction in response to NGF deprivation requires simultaneous activation of three different death signaling pathways. J Biol Chem 282(40):29368-29374.
- Biswas, S. C., Shi, Y., Vonsattel, J. G., Leung, C. L., Troy, C. M. and Greene, L.A. (2007). Bim is elevated in Alzheimer disease neurons and is required for beta- amyloid induced neuronal apoptosis. J Neurosci 27(4):893-900.
- Greene, L.A., Liu, D. X., Troy, C.M. and Biswas, S. C. (2007). Cell Cycle Molecules Define A Pathway Required For Neuron Death In Development And Disease. Biochim Biophys Acta 1772(4):392-401.
- Malagelada, C., Ryu, E., Biswas, S. C., Verince, J. L. and Greene, L.A. (2006). RTP801 is selectively elevated in Parkinson brain substantia nigral neurons and mediates death in cellular models of Parkinson disease. J Neurosci 26(39): 9996-10005.
- Biswas, S. C., Liu, D. X. and Greene, L. A. (2005). Bim is a direct target of a neuronal E2F-dependent apoptotic pathway. J Neurosci 25(37): 8349-8358.
- Biswas, S. C., Ryu, E., Park, C., Malagelada, C., and Greene, L. A. (2005). PUMA and p53 play required roles in death evoked in a cellular model of Parkinson disease. Neurochem Res 30(6/7): 839-845.
- Liu, D. X., Biswas, S. C. and Greene, L. A. (2004). B-Myb and C-Myb play required roles in neuronal apoptosis evoked by nerve growth factor deprivation and DNA damage. J Neurosci 24(40): 8720-8725.
- Greene, L. A., Biswas, S. C., and Liu, D. X. (2003). Cell cycle molecules and vertebrate neuron death: E2F at the hub. Cell Death Differ 11(1): 49-60.
- Biswas, S. C. and Greene, L.A. (2002). NGF down-regulates the BH3-only protein BIM and suppresses its pro-apoptotic activity by phosphorylation. J Biol Chem 277(51): 49511-49516.
- Biswas, S. C., Dutt, A., Baker, M. W. and Macagno, E.R. (2002). Association of the Receptor Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase HmLAR1 with Enabled in Hirudo medicinalis. Mol Cell Neurosci 21(4): 657-670.
- Sarkar, S., Biswas, S. C., Chatterjee, O. and Sarkar, P. K. (1999). Protein kinase A linked phosphorylation mediates triiodothyronine induced actin gene expression in developing brain. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 67(1): 158-164.
- Pal, U., Biswas, S.C. and Sarkar P.K. (1997). Regulation of actin and its mRNA by thyroid hormones in cultures of fetal human brain during second trimester of gestation. J Neurochem 69(3): 1170-1176.
- Biswas, S.C., Pal, U. Sarkar, P. K. (1997). Regulation of cytoskeletal proteins by thyroid hormone during neuronal maturation and differentiation. Brain Res 757(2): 245-253.
- Biswas, S. C., Singh, D. and Pandey R. S. (1995). Subcellular distribution of oxygen free radical scavenging enzymes in goat ovary. Indian J Exp Biol 33(10): 785-787.