G. Senthil Kumar , Ph.D.
Structural Biology & Bioinformatics
- Role of DNA methylation in retinal neurodegeneration
- Integrative analysis of multi-omics data and dissecting the functional genomic basis of retinal diseases
- Systems biology approach for early prognostic/diagnostic biomarker discovery
- Strategizing and designing novel diagnosis and drug development strategies based on the above approaches.
Ph.D. Genetics (2016) University of Madras (collaboration with University of Chicago, USA)
Grants & Supports
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR)
- CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB)
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
Patents & Publications
- Kumari N, Karmakar A, Chakrabarti S and G. Senthil Kumar (2020) Integrative Computational Approach Revealed Crucial Genes Associated With Different Stages of Diabetic Retinopathy. Front. Genet. 11:576442. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2020.576442
- G. Senthil Kumar, Venkatratnam, P., Mahendra, J. et al. Increased mortality of COVID-19 infected diabetes patients: role of furin proteases. Int J Obes 44, 2486–2488 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41366-020-00670-9
- Aditi Karmakar, Md. Maqsood Ahamad Khan, Nidhi Kumari and G. Senthil Kumar. Integrative bioinformatics analysis for identification of hub genes and pathways responsible for early pathogenesis of retinoblastoma, 01 June 2020, PREPRINT (Version 1) available at Research Square [+https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-30876/v1+]
- Kumari N, Karmakar A, G. Senthil Kumar. Targeting epigenetic modifications as a potential therapeutic option for diabetic retinopathy. J Cell Physiol. 2019; 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.29180
- Nalini, D., Selvaraj, J. & G. Senthil Kumar. Herbal nutraceuticals: safe and potent therapeutics to battle tumor hypoxia. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-019-03068-x
- G. Senthil Kumar, K. Dinesh Kumar, Peter J. Minogue, Viviana M. Berthoud, Raja Kannan, Eric C. Beyer, and Santhiya T. Sathiyavedu. The E368Q mutant allele of GJA8 causes congenital cataracts with intrafamilial variation in a South Indian family. Open Access J Ophthalmol. 2016; 1(1): 106.
- K. Dinesh Kumar, G. Senthil Kumar, A. Sathya, Palani Raj, G. Jayaraman, S.T. Santhiya.V235L mutation of human BEST1 gene, in association with Best macular dystrophy and predictions on the possibility of altered CERES Function. Journal of Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. 01/2015;06:50.
- G Senthil Kumar, John W Kyle, Peter J Minogue, K Dinesh Kumar, K Vasantha,Viviana M Berthoud, Eric C Beyer, Santhiya T Sathiyavedu. An MIP/AQP0 mutation with impaired trafficking and function underlies an autosomal dominant congenital lamellar cataract. Experimental eye research. 2013 May;110:136-41.
- K Dinesh Kumar, G Senthil Kumar, S T Santhiya. Nonspecific PCR amplification of CRYBB2-pseudogene leads to misconception of natural variation as mutation. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science. 01/2012; 53(9):5770.
- Sathiyavedu T Santhiya, G Senthil Kumar, Pridhvi Sudhakar, Navnit Gupta,Norman Klopp, Thomas Illig, Torben Söker, Marco Groth, Matthias Platzer, Puthiya M Gopinath, Jochen Graw. Molecular analysis of cataract families in India: new mutations in the CRYBB2 and GJA3 genes and rare polymorphisms.