Shila Elizabeth Besra, Ph.D.
Principal Technical Officer, Central Instrumentation Facility Division
•Evaluating the importance of bioactive molecules isolated from the plant and animal secretion an insight into the mechanism of action in in-vitro & in-vivo cancer models. •To establish the potential PLGA nanoparticle encapsulating the anticancer compound in-vitro as well as in-vivo. •To study the immunostimulant anticancer agent from indigenous medicine and their signaling net. •To study the potential wound healing and anti-inflammatory extract/compound with less side effect from natural or synthetic product and their mechanism of action.
The main focus of our laboratory is to understand the mystery of indigenous medicine which is in human use to explore them experimentally and identify the nontoxic potentiality of extract / compound from medicinal plant. Active biomolecules were mechanically studied mainly in the different field of cancer models in-vitro and in-vivo. Investigating the potential wound healing, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic extract/compound with less side effect from natural or synthetic product and their mechanism of action. Another important aim of our laboratory is to establish the potential PLGA nanoparticle encapsulating the anticancer compound in-vitro as well as in-vivo.
Ph.D. (2000), Jadavpur University
Honours & Awards
Best Poster Awards in medical biotechnology area “Anti-leukemic activity of Moringa oleifera root bark on human leukemic cell lines” Subhadeep Roy, Sayantan Dey, Shila Elizabeth Besra in Proceedings of International Conference on Health, Environmental & Industrial Biotechnology, ICHEIB(BioSangam2013) page 1-7, 2013.
Patents & Publications
- Glycosmis arborea extract as a Hepatoprotective agent”, A. Gomes, M. Das, P. Sur, Shila E. Besra, A.K. Chakraborty, B. Das, D.K. Ganguly and J. R. Vedasiromoni, Phytotherapy Res.2003,17: 571-574.
- Orcinol Glucoside Loaded Polymer- Lipid Hybrid Nanostructured Lipid Carriers: Potential Cytotoxic Agents Against Gastric, Colon and Hepatoma Carcinoma Cell Lines. Prasant Nahak, Rahul L. Gajbhiye, Gourab Karmakar, Pritam Guha, Biplab Roy, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Alexey G. Bikov, Alexander V. Akentiev, Boris A. Noskov, Kaushik Nag, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Amiya Kumar Panda. Pharm Res.,2018, 35:198 (DOI: 10.1007/s11095-018-2469-3)
- Influence of lipid core material on physicochemical characteristics of an ursolic acid-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier: an attempt to enhance anticancer activity. Nahak P, Karmakar G, Chettri P, Roy B, Guha P, Besra S E, Soren A, Bykov AG, Akentiev AV, Noskov BA, Panda AK. Langmuir(ACS), 2016, 32, 9816-9825 (DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.6b02402).
- Apoptosis inducing potential of Lawsonia alba lam. leaves on hepatocellular carcinoma (Hep-G2) cells along with its anti-oxidant property. Soumyasree Dutta, Nilanjana Deb, Ashok Kumar Pattnaik, Shila Elizabeth Besra. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science, 2016, Volume 8, Issue 9 155-162
- Wound healing potential of Helicteres isora Linn. fruits extract formulated into a topical gel. Soumyasree Dutta, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Arka Bhattacharjee, Goutam Mukhopadhyay. International Journal of Pharmacy and Engineering (IJPE) March 2016, Volume 4(1), 655-668.Review Article: ISSN 2320-849X.
- Wound healing potential of methanolic extract and its active fraction of Lawsonia alba Lam. leaves formulated in to a topical gel. Soumyasree Dutta, Ashok Kumar Pattnaik, Shila Elizabeth Besra, World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2016, Volume 5, Issue 02, 1091-1109. Research Article: ISSN 2277– 7105.
- Anti-tumor activities of secretion extract of Bellamya bengalensis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines is mediated by caspase-dependent apoptosis and cell cycle arrest. Abhishek Ranjan Besra, Krishnandu Pal, Santanu Basu, Shila Elizabeth Besra, World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2015, 4, (10)2326-2344. Research Article, ISSN 2277 – 7105.
- Apoptotic activity of ethanolic extract of Moringa oleifera root bark on human myeloid leukemia cells via activation of caspase cascade. Subhadeep Roy, Nilanjana Deb, Santanu Basu, Shila Elizabeth Besra, World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014, 3, (10): 1138-1156. ISSN 2278 – 4357
- Anti-leukemic activity of Moringa oleifera root bark on human leukemic cell lines. Subhadeep Roy, Sayantan Dey, Shila Elizabeth Besra in Proceedings of International Conference on Health, Environmental & Industrial Biotechnology, ICHEIB(BioSangam2013) page 1-7, 2013.
- Anti-carcinogenic activity of Ruellia tuberosa l. (acanthaceae) leaf extract on hepatoma cell line & increased superoxide dismutase activity on macrophage cell lysates. Sayantan Dey, Subhadeep Roy, Nilanjana Deb, Kalyan Kumar Sen, Shila Elizabeth Besra. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science. 2013, 5, Suppl.3: 854-861.
- Apoptogenic activity of secretion extract of Bellamya bengalensis f. Annandalei via mitochondrial mediated caspase cascade on human leukemic cell lines. Shila Elizabeth Besra, Moumita Ray, Sayantan Dey, Subhadeep Roy, Nilanjana Deb, Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res.,2013,20(1): 25, 146-152 ISSN 0976 – 044X.
- Delicious food fresh crab muscle as an anti–cancer agent”, Moumita Ray, Surinder Paul, Suhasini Besra, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Toxicological Society of India Newsletter, 2012, 2(1):40-43.
- Anti-leukemic activity of Wattakaka volubilis leaf extracts against human myeloid leukemia cell lines. Debkumar Nandi, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Joseph Rajan Vedasiromoni, Venkatachalam Sesha Giri, Prince Rana, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Journal of Ethno- pharmacology.2012 144(3):466-473.
- Anti-leukemic activity of sulfonoquinovosyldiacylglyceride SQDG: a constituent of Azadirachta indica leaves. Bharitkar Yogesh P, Shamik Bhattacharya, Tanaya Das, Moumita Roy, Shila E. Besra,Aparna Gomes, Nirup B Mondal ,Sukdeb Banerjee, Medicinal Chemistry Research, 2013,22:22-27.
- Electrophoretic studies on the major carapace proteins in Sartoriana spinigera, fresh water crab (Wood Mason,1871). S. Paul, P. Nayan, R.N. Prasad, Shila Elizabeth Besra, S. Besra, The Biosacn, 2010, 1:225-230.
- Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Leaves of Bischofia Javanica Blume and Fraxinus Floribunda Wallich”, Sutherson Lingadurai, Prasanna Kumar Kar, Lila Kant Nath, Shila Elizabeth Besra and Rajan Veda Siromoni Joseph Pharmacologyonline,2009, 1: 1324-1332.
- Pharmacological effects of methanolic extract of Swietenia mahagoni Jacq (Meliaceae) seeds, S. Ghosh, Shila. Elizabeth Besra, Kunal Roy, Jayanta K.Gupta, Joseph. R. Vedasiromoni, Int. J. Green Pharmacy,2009,3(3):206-210.
- Anti-inflammatory, analgesic activities of leaf extract of Wattakaka volubilis (Dreagea vlolubilis)”, Debkumar Nandi, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Sumit Dey, Suresh Babu, Adiranjan Elango, Soma Roy, Sumana. Mallick, Venkatachalam S. Giri, Parsuraman Jaisankar and J. R. Vedasiromoni, Int. J. Green Pharmacy, 2009, 3(3): 195-200.
- Anti-inflammatory activity of aqueous methanolic extract of Swietenia mahagoni(L.) Jacq. (Meliaceae)leaves, S. Roy, S. E. Besra, B. Banerjee, J. Mukherjee and J. R. Vedasiromoni, Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, 2009, 9(1):74- 82.
- Induction of Apoptosis in Human Leukemic Cell Lines U937, K562 and HL- 60 by Litchi chinensis Leaf Extract Via Activation of Mitochondria Mediated Caspase Cascades, Soma Roy, Shila E. Besra, Tripti De, Bisweswar Banerjee, Joydeep Mukherjee and Joseph R. Vedasiromoni, The Open Leukemia Journal,2008, 1: 1-14.
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive activities of methanolic extract of leaves of Bischofia javanica Blume on Experimental Animals. Sutharson L., Nath L. K, Kar P.K., Besra S.E. & Vedasiromoni J.R, Asian J. Chem., 2007, 19: 5150-5156.
- Production and purification of a bioactive substance inhibiting multiple drug resistant bacteria and human leukemia cells from a salt-tolerant marine Actinobacterium sp. isolated from the Bay of Bengal, Malay Saha, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Satadal Das, Kalyan K Sarkar, Soma Roy, Shila E Besra, Joseph R Vedasiromani, Debashish Ghosh, Barindra Sana, Joydeep Mukherjee, Biotechnology letters 2006 Jul. 28(14):1083-8. DOI: 10. 1007/s 10529-006-9054-2.
- Cytotoxic and apoptogenic effect of tea (Camellia sinensis var. Assamica) root extract (TRE) and two of its steroidal saponins TS1 and TS2 on human leukemic cell lines K562 and U937 and on cells of CML and ALL patients, Papiya Ghosh, Shila E. Besra, Gayatri Tripathi, Smita Mitra, Joseph R. Vedasiromoni, Leukemia Research, 2006,30: 459-468.
- Anti-inflammatory activity of tea (Camellia sinensis) root extract, P. Chattopadhyay, Shila E. Besra, A. Gomes, M. Das, P. Sur, S. Mitra, J. R. Vedasiromoni, Life Sciences, 2004,74: 1839-1849.
- Glycosmis arborea extract as a Hepatoprotective agent, A. Gomes, M. Das, P. Sur, Shila E. Besra, A.K. Chakraborty, B. Das, D.K. Ganguly and J. R. Vedasiromoni, Phytotherapy Res.2003,17: 571-574.
- Anti-diarrhoeal activity of hot water extract of black tea Camellia sinensis, Shila E. Besra, A. Gomes, D.K. Ganguly and J.R.Vedasiromoni, Phytotherapy Res.2003, 17: 380- 384.
- Studies with Black Tea and its Constituents on Leukemic Cells and Cell Lines, M. Das, T. Chaudhuri, S. K. Goswami, N. Murmu,A. Gomes ,S. Mitra, S.E. Besra, P. Sur and J. R. Vedasiromoni.J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res.,2002, 21(4): 563-568.
- Anti-neoplastic Effect of New Boron Compounds against Leukemic Cell Lines and Cells from Leukemic Patients. N. Murmu, P. Ghosh, A. Gomes, S. Mitra, M. Das, S. E. Besra, J. Majumdar, S. Bhattacharya, P. Sur and J. R. Vedasiromoni, J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res.,2002, 21(3): 351-356.
- Anti-diarrhoeal activity of seed extract of Albizzia lebbeck Benth”, Shila E. Besra, A. Gomes, D.K. Ganguly and J.R.Vedasiromoni, Phytotherapy Res.2000,16:529- 533.
- Prokinetic effect of black tea on gastrointestinal motility”. L. Chaudhuri, S. Basu, P. Seth, T. Chaudhuri, S. E. Besra, J. R. Vedasiromoni and D. K. Ganguly., Life Sciences., 2000, 66: 847-854.
- Role of nitric oxide in gastro-kinetic effects of the new benzoxepine derivative exepanol hydrochloride. Chaudhuri, L, Vedasiromoni, J R, Besra, S. E., Ganguly, D K, Arzneimittelforschung. 1996, 46(9): 923-925.
- Anti-inflammatory effect of petroleum ether extract of leaves of Litchi- chinensis Gaertn. (Sapindaceae). S. E. Besra, R.M. Sharma, A. Gomes. Journal of Ethno- pharmacology. 54: 1-6, (1996).