Snehasikta Swarnakar , Ph.D., FNASC, FASCT
Senior Principal Scientist & HOD
Infectious Diseases and Immunology
Protease Biochemistry, Medicinal Biology, Inflammation and Cancer
Role of polymorphism in the promoter regions of MMPs along with the risk of gastric, ovarian and head & neck cancers.
Understanding the biochemistry behind the mechanism of wound healing, gastric inflammation, gastric ulcers, cancers and effect of free as well as encapsulated lead bioactive molecules viz. curcumin, melatonin and antioxidants etc. on them in regard to angiogenesis, collagen synthesis, apoptosis and regulation of MMPs
Elucidating the role of MMPs, growth factors, receptors and cell adhesion molecules in cancers, alcohol-induced liver damage, diabetes and endometriosis, Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), attenuating brain stroke and gastric ulcers induced by stress, alcohol, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug and infection by Helicobacter pylori. Effect of potential mediators like cytokines, growth factors and transcription factors for H. pylori infection
HOD, Cancer Biology & Inflammatory Disorder Division
Positions & Posts Held
|Scientist-F||03.06.2015—till date||CSIR-IICB, Kolkata, India|
|Scientist-EII||31-10-2010 to 02-06-2015||CSIR-IICB, Kolkata, India|
|Guest scientist||15-06-2015 to 26-06-2015||NIMS, Tsukuba, Japan|
|Fulbright Research Fellow||20-08-2013 to 28-04-2014||Emory University, Atlanta, USA|
|Visiting Faculty||03-05-2007 to 27-07-2007||University of Connecticut, US|
|Scientist-E I||31-10-2006 to 31-10-2010||CSIR-IICB, Kolkata, India|
|Scientist-C||31-10-2002 to 31-10-2006||CSIR-IICB, Kolkata, India|
|Visiting Scientist||01-06-2002 -to 01-10-2002||TSRI, La Jolla, USA|
|Research Scientist||June’99- Apr’01||SUNY, Stony Brook, US|
|Post-doctoral Fellow||Jan ’97 to June’99||State University of New York Stony Brook, NY, US|
|Research Associate||01-07-1995 to 31-08-1995||Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, US|
|01-07-1996 to 31-08-1996|
|Post-Doctoral fellow||20-10-1994 to 10-01-1997||University of California, Davis, CA, US|
|Senior Research Fellow||Feb 1994-Oct 1994||JNU, New Delhi|
- Qualified Joint CSIR-UGC Exam, 1987
- Junior & Senior Research Fellowship from CSIR, India (1988-1993)
- Research Associateship in MBL, Woods Hole, USA, summer 1995 and 1996
|Ph. D||Jadavpur University||1988-93||Science [Studies on a sialic acid-binding lectin from albumin gland of apple snail Pila globosa]|
|M. Sc.||Calcutta University||1985-87||Bio-Chemistry, Special paper: Advance Microbiology|
|Dip P. Ed||Calcutta University||1983-84||All the subjects in the course|
|B. Sc. (H)||Calcutta University||1980-83||Chemistry (Hons.), Physics, Mathematics|
Honours & Awards
- Prof. Sahail Ahmed Award by Indian Association of Biomedical Science, Lucknow, 2017
- Bharat Gaurav Award by India International Friendship Society, New Delhi, 2017
- Team (Ajo Chhand) member in Palo-Alto longevity award finalist, California, 2015
- Biographical sketch in Who’s Who in the World 2009 to 2015 Edition, America
- Fullbright-Nehru Fellowship at Emory University, USA, 2013-2014
- A N Bhaduri Memorial Lecture Award, Society of Biological Chemist, India, 2009
- Kshanika oration award, Indian Council of Medical Research, India, 2008
- National Bioscience Award, Department of Biotechnology, India, 2007
- National Science Day award by The Science Association of Bengal, Kolkata, 2006
- Member of American Association for Advancement of Science, USA.1999, 2012 and2013
- Elected Fellow of Indian National Academy of Science, 2012
- Elected Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology, West Bengal, India.2010
- Member of Guha Research Conference, India. 2010
- Life member of SBC, SFRR, ISCB, BRSI and Indian Science Congress, India
- Invited talk in IDARS/APSAAR at Sydney, Australia, 2015
- Invited talk in National Institute of Material Science, Tsukuba, Japan, 2015
- Invited talk at Gordon Research Conference on Pineal Cell Biology, Galveston, US, 2014
- Invited talk in SFRR-Europe at Istanbul in 2009 and Havana Redox at Havana, Cuba in 2011
- Conferee in Gordon Research Conference on Pineal Cell Biology, Italy, Europe, 2008
- Examiner of M. Sc Microbiology and Biochemistry, Calcutta and Kalyani University since 2005
- Adjunct faculty of M.Sc. Environmental Science, Calcutta University
- Teaching advance level Ph.D course of AcSIR at IICB,Kolkata
- Invited reviewer of J. Cell Physiol, USA; GUT, UK; FRBM, USA; PloS ONE, Scan J. Gastro, Netherland; Free Rad Biol and Med, USA, Ethnopharmacology; Food and Nutr Sci; European J of Pharmacology and Supervisor of several research projects of CSIR, DBT and DST.
- Editorial member of Journal of Pharmaceutical Biomedical Science; Molecular Biology Reports
- Ph. D. thesis examiner of IIT-Madras, Nizam Institute and Manipal University
Grants & Supports
- Life Sc. Research Board, DRDO : LSRB-287/EPB/2014 (2014-2017) 35 lac
- CSIR-network project (member) : CSIR, India TREAT BSC0116 [10 cr] & HUM BSC0119 (2012-17) [8 cr]
- CSIR-network project (Nodal) : CSIR, India INDEPTH BSC0111 (2012-17) 4 cr.
- Career Development Grant : DBT, India (2008-2011) 9 lac. Completed successfully.
- National Tea Research Board : NTRF (2008-2011) 12 lac. Completed successfully
- CSIR (Network project member) : 41/3/EFYP/IAP01/2007-RDPD (2007-12) 14 cr Completed successfully
- ICMR (Principal Investigator) : Ref No.5/4/3-6/03-NCD-II (2005-2008) 17 lac Completed successfully
Patents & Publications
3-Indolyl furanoids as inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinase-9 for prevention of gastric ulcer and other inflammatory diseases: Parasuraman Jaisankar*, Snehasikta Swarnakar*, Sourav Chatterjee, Sugreev Verma, Madhumita Mandal, and Susri Ray Chaudhuri. US Patent 2017, in process: patent has been filed provisionally in India, Appl. No. 201711005308, Dated: 15th Feb 2017. [* both authors contributed equally]
List of Publications:
- Pandit A, Begum Y, Chatterjee K, Swarnakar S. (2018) Hormonal regulation of endometriosis and clinical significance. IJBB Vol.55(5)
- Banerjee P, Barman SR, Swarnakar S, Mukhopadhyay A, Das P (2018) Treatment of textile effluent using bacteria-immobilized graphene oxide nanocomposites: evaluation of effluent detoxification using Bellamya bengalensis. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy.
- Raychaudhuri S, Ghosh S, Roy A, Swarnakar S (2018) Protective Role of Black Tea Flavonoids Against Ethanol-Induced Gastropathy via Matrix Metalloproteinase Pathway. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry (In Press)
- Chatterjee K, Jana S, Choudhary P, Swarnakar S. (2018) Triumph and tumult of matrix metalloproteinases and their crosstalk with eicosanoids in cancer. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 37(2-3):279-288.
- Mukherjee A, Sarkar S, Jana S, Swarnakar S, Das N. (2018) Neuro-protective role of nanocapsulated curcumin against cerebral ischemia-reperfusion induced oxidative injury. Brain Res. Oct 13. pii: S0006-8993(18)30528-6.
- Ghosh S, Roy A, Singhania A, Chatterjee S, Swarnakar S, Fujita D, Bandyopadhyay A. (2018) In-vivo & in-vitro toxicity test of molecularly engineered PCMS: A potential drug for wireless remote controlled treatment. Toxicol Rep. 5: 1044-1052.
- Mukherjee D, Bhattacharya P, Jana A, Bhattacharya S, Sarkar S, Ghosh S, Majumdar S, Swarnakar S (2018) Synthesis of ceramic ultrafiltration membrane and application in membrane bioreactor process for pesticide remediation from wastewater Process Safety and Environ Protection 116: 22-33.
- Roy Goswami M, Banerjee P, Swarnakar S, Mukhopadhyay (2018) Studies on the effect of application of carbaryl insecticide on Alfalfa (Medicago sativa L. International J of Engineering Sc and Mathematics Vol 7, Special Issue 4(1), April ISSN: 2320-0294
- Chatterjee K, Jana S, DasMahapatra P, Swarnakar S. (2018) EGFR-mediated matrix metalloproteinase-7 up-regulation promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition via ERK1-AP1 axis during ovarian endometriosis progression. FASEB J. 2018 Aug;32(8):4560-4572.
- Bardhan ,M., Majumdar, A., Jana, S., Ghosh, T., Pal, U. and Swarnakar S and Senapati, D. (2017) Mesoporous silica for drug delivery: Interactions with model fluorescent lipid vesicles and live cells. J Photochem Photobiol B. 178: 19-26.
- Yadav, DK., Talapatra, SN., Gupta, K. and Swarnakar, S. (2017) Alteration of morphology and constituents of Azadirachta indica leaf due to air pollution and exploiting the phenomenon for medicinal usage on gastric ulcer through molecular docking. Int. J. Pharma. Sci. Rev. Res., 44: 103-111.
- Yadav DK, Bharitkar YP, Hazra A, Pal U, Verma S, Jana S, Singh UP, Maiti NC, Mondal NB, Swarnakar S (2017) Tamarixetin 3-O-β-d-Glucopyranoside from Azadirachta indica Leaves: Gastroprotective Role through Inhibition of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Activity in Mice. J Nat Prod. 80: 1347-1353.
- Ghosh N, Ghosh P, Kesh K, Mukhopadhyay AK, Swarnakar S (2017) Attenuation of Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric inflammation by prior cag- strain (AM1) infection in C57BL/6 mice. Gut Pathog. 9: 14.
- Sarkar S, Mukherjee A, Das N, Swarnakar S (2017) Protective roles of nanomelatonin in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion of aged brain: Matrixmetalloproteinases as regulators. Exp Gerontol. 92: 13-22.
- Jana S, Chatterjee K, Ray AK, DasMahapatra P, Swarnakar S (2016) Regulation of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 Activity by COX-2-PGE2-pAKT Axis Promotes Angiogenesis in Endometriosis. PLoS One. 11:e0163540.
- Jana S, Ray AK, Chatterjee K, Mahapatra PD and Swarnakar S (2016) ‘Achillies heel’ for endometriosis: pathway to malignancy? Med J Obst Gynecol. 4(5): 1085.
- Sarkar S, Mukherjee A, Swarnakar S, Das N (2016) Nanocapsulated Ascorbic Acid in Combating Cerebral Ischemia Reperfusion-Induced Oxidative Injury in Rat Brain. Curr Alzheimer Res.;13:1363-1373.
- Talukdar P, Das K, Dhar S, Talapatra SN and Swarnakar S (2016) Galls on Alstonia acholaris leaves as air pollution indicator. World scientific news 52: 181-194.
- Talapatra SN, Talukdar P, Pal U, Maiti NC and Swarnakar S (2016) Interaction of T-state haemoglobin and phytochemicals of Hygrophila spinosa T. Anders: An approach by molecular docking. World J of Pharmaceutical Res. 5(8): 1354-1369.
- Talapatra, SN, Talukdar, P and Swarnakar, S. (2017) Interaction between C-reactive protein and photochemicals(s) from Calotropis procera: An approach on molecular docking. International Letters of Natural Sciences, 61: 43-55.
- Yadav DK, Bharitkar YP, Chatterjee K, Gh osh M, Mondal NB and Swarnakar S (2016) Importance of Neem Leaf for Common and Commercial Use: An Insight into the Role in Combating Diseases. Ind J of Exp Biol. 54: 708-718.
- Talapatra SN, Mitra P and Swarnakar S. Morpholohgy and phenotype of peripheral erythrocytes of fish. A rapid test of images by using software. SciPress (Accepted)
- Ray AK, Talapatra SN, Mahapatra PD and Swarnakar S (2016). Women with Endometriosis are more likely to suffer from delay in the diagnosis and fertility: A Population-Based Study in Kolkata and rest of West Bengal. (in press).
- Datta D, Talapatra SN, and Swarnakar S. (2016) An overview of lectins from fresh water and marine microinvertebrate. World scientific news 46, 77-87.
- Banerjee P, Dey TK, Sarkar S, Swarnakar S, Mukhopadhyay A, Ghosh S (2016) Treatment of cosmetic effluent in different configurations of ceramic UF membrane based bioreactor: Toxicity evaluation of the untreated and treated wastewater using catfish (Heteropneustes fossilis) Chemosphere, 146: 133-144.
- Bhattacharya P, Swarnakar S, Mukhopadhyay A, Ghosh S (2016). Exposure of composite tannery effluent in snail, Pila globosa: A comparative assessment of impacts of the untreated and membrane process treated effluents. Ecotoxicology and environmental safety 126, 45-55.
- Verma S, Kesh K, Dey S, Bhattacharyya S. and Swarnakar S. (2015) An Overview of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Polymorphism and Gastric Cancer Risk. Asian Pacific J Can Prev. 16: 7393-7400.
- Das D, Gupta K, Swarnakar S and Talapatra SN (2015) Biomonitoring tool: Morphological anomalies in Zygnema sp. of Ganga river bank. Int. Lett. Nat. Sci. 47: 24-31.
- Jana A., Bhattacharya P., Swarnakar S., Majumdar S., Ghosh S. (2015) Anabaena sp. Mediated bio-oxidation of arsenite to arsenate in synthetic arsenic (III) solution: Process optimization by response surface methodology. Chemosphere, 138:682-690.
- Datta D, Talapatra SN and Swarnakar S (2015). Bioactive compounds from marine invertebrates for potential medicines – An overview. Int. Lett. Nat. Sci. 34: 42-61.
- Talapatra SN, Misra D, Banerjee K, Banerjee P, Swarnakar S. 2015. QSAR modeling for acute toxicity prediction of fluroquinolone antibiotics by using software. Int J of Adv Res, 3(6): 225-240.
- Overgaard CE, Schlingmann B, Dorsainvil White S, Ward C, Fan X, Swarnakar S, Brown LA, Guidot DM, Koval M. 2015. The relative balance of GM-CSF and TGF-β1 regulates lung epithelial barrier function. Am J Physiol, Lung Cellular and Mol Physiol. 308(12):L1212-23.
- Ghosh S, Chatterjee S, Roy A, Ray K, Swarnakar S, Fujita D, Bandyopadhyay A. 2015. Resonant oscillation language of a futuristic nano-machine-module: eliminating cancer cells & Alzheimer aβ plaques. Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry. 15(6): 534-41. (Impact factor=3.8)
- Kesh K, Subramanian L, Ghosh N, Gupta V, Gupta A, Bhattacharya S, Mahapatra NR, Swarnakar S (2015). Association of MMP7 -181A→G Promoter Polymorphism with Gastric Cancer Risk: influence of nicotine in differential allele-specific transcription via increased phosphorylation of camp-response element-binding protein (CREB). Journal of Biological Chemistry, 290(23):14391-406. (Impact Factor=4.5)
- Mukherjee A and Swarnakar S. 2015. Implication of matrix metalloproteinases in regulating neuronal disorder. Molecular Biology Reports, 42 (1):1-11. (Impact Factor=2.5)
- Oladipo IC, Sanni A, Chakraborty W, Chakravorty S, Jana S, Rudra DS, Gacchui R, Swarnakar S. Technological properties of strains of Enterococcus gallinarum isolated from selected Nigerian traditional fermented foods. Malayasian J Microbiol (2014) Accepted 9th Oct 2014
- Hutto T, Ollerenshaw J, Swarnakar S, Bock S, Ross R, Lillard J, Koval M. 2014. Nanotopographic cues increase epithelial paracellular permeability through cytoskeletal reorganization. The Faseb Journal, 28(1), Suppl 780.6.
- A. Das, S. Sarkar, K. Banerjee, A. Nandy, S. N. Talapatra and S. Swarnakar (2014). A study on the occurrence of Asian open bill stork, Anastomus oscitans in particular tree species at Nature Park, Kolkata, India. Int. Lett. Nat. Sci. 22: 19-31
- S. N. Talapatra, A. Nandy, K. Banerjee, P. Sanyal and S. Swarnakar (2014). Novel occurrence and relative abundance of fiddler crabs Uca lactea, Uca rosea and Uca anulipes at East coast of India. Int. J. Adv. Res. 2 (10): 907-916.
- Bhattacharya P, Ghosh S, Swarnakar S and Mukhopadhyay A. (2014). Tannery Effluent Treatment by Microfiltration through Ceramic Membrane for Water Reuse: Assessment of Environmental Impacts. CLEAN, Soil, Air, Water. 42 (9999): 1-12.
- Oladipo IC, Sanni AI, Chakraborty W, Chakravorty S, Jana S, Rudra DS, Gacchui R, Swarnakar S. 2014. Bioprotective potential of bacteriocinogenic Enterococcus gallinarum strains isolated from some Nigerian fermented foods, and of their bacteriocins. Polish J of Microbiol, 63(4): 415-422.
- Oladipo IC, Sanni AI, Swarnakar S. 2014. Virulence potential of Enterococcus gallinarum strains isolated from selected Nigerian traditional fermented foods. J of Biosci and Biotec, 3(2): 97-104.
- Verma S, Kesh K, Ganguly N, Jana S and Swarnakar S. 2014. Matrix metalloproteinases and gastrointestinal cancers: impacts of antioxidants. World J of Biol Chem, 26;5(3):355-76. (IF=2.9)
- Banerjee P, Sarkar S, Dey TK, Bakshi M, Swarnakar S, Mukhopadhyay A and Ghosh S. (2014). Application of isolated bacterial consortium in UMBR for detoxification of textile effluent: comparative analysis of resultant oxidative stress and genotoxicity in catfish (Heteropneustes fossilis) exposed to raw and treated effluents. Exotoxicology, 23:1073-1085.
- Bhattacharya P, Ghosh S, Swarnakar S and Mukhopadhyay A. (2014). Reuse of textile effluent for dyeing using combined technology of ceramic microfiltration and surface treated sugarcane bagasse: toxicity evaluation using Channa punctatus as model. Desalination and Water Treatment. DOI: 10.1080/19443994.2014.887035.
- Mandal AK, Ghosh D, Sarkar S, Ghosh A, Swarnakar S, Das N. (2014). Nanocapsulated quercetin downregulates rat hepatic MMP-13 and controls diethylnitrosamine-inducedcarcinoma. Nanomedicine. DOI: 10.2217/nnm.14.11. ( Impact factor=6.0)
- Dey S, Ghosh N, Saha D, Kesh K, Gupta A and Swarnakar S. (2014) Matrix Metalloproteinase 1 (MMP1) Transcriptional Polymorphisms are Well Linked with Lower Stomach Tumor Formation in Eastern Indian Population. PLoS One. 5;9(2):e88040. ( IF=4.0)
- Roy Goswami M, Banerjee P, Swarnakar S and Mukhopadhyay A. (2013). Carbaryl mediated biochemical alterations in Eggplant. International Journal of Research in Environmental Science and Technology. 3(2):51-57.
- Banerjee P, Jana S, Chakroborty, S and Swarnakar S. (2013) Indian J Biochem Biophys. Role of Matrix Metalloproteinases in Alcohol Induced Liver Diseases and Effect of Antioxidants.
- Oladipo,I C; Sanni, A; Swarnakar, S (2013) Food Biotech 27 (1 ) 39- 53 DOI: 10.1080/08905436.2012.755627; FEB 1. Phenotypic and Genomic Characterization of Enterococcus Species from Some Nigerian Fermented Foods.
- Jana S, Rudra DS, Paul S and Swarnakar S. (2012) Indian J Biochem Biophys. 49(5):342-8.Curcumin delays endometriosis development by inhibiting MMP-2 activity.
- Rudra DS, Pal U, Maiti NC, Reiter RJ, Swarnakar S. (2013) Melatonin inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity by binding to its active site. J Pineal Res. 54, 398-405 doi: 10.1111/jpi.12034. (Impact Factor= 7.8)
- Ganguly K, Swarnakar S. (2012). Chronic gastric ulceration causes matrix metalloproteinases-9 and -3 augmentation: alleviation by melatonin. Biochimie. 94(12):2687-98. (IF=3.9)
- Roychoudhury, S., Modak, A.,Bhaumik, A and Swarnakar, S (2012) BioIT. Int J Phar Appl 2,237-252. Phloroglucinol derivatives as potential anti-ulcer compound that inhibits matrix metalloproteinase-9.
- Jana, S., Paul S. and Swarnakar, S (2012) Biochem Pharmacol. 83(6):797-804. Curcumin as anti-endometriotic agent: Implication of MMP-3 and intrinsic apoptotic pathway. (IF= 4.88)
- Chakrobarty, S., Stalin, S., Das, N., Thakur Choudhury, S., Ghosh, S. and Swarnakar, S. (2012) Biomaterials, 33(10): 2991-3001. The use of nano-quercetin to arrest mitochondrial damage and MMP-9 upregulation during prevention of gastric inflammation induced by ethanol in rat. (IF= 8.5)
- Sharma, A V., Ganguly, K., Paul, S., Maulik, N. and Swarnakar, S. (2012) Anti Redox Signal 16(4):351-62. Curcumin heals indomethacin-induced gastric ulceration by stimulation of angiogenesis and restitution of collagen fibres via VEGF and MMP-2 mediated signaling. (IF= 8.2)
- Mishra A, Bhattacharya P, Paul S, Paul R, Swarnakar S.(2011) Lung India. Jul; 28(3):174-9. An alternative therapy for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis by doxycycline through matrix metalloproteinase inhibition.
- Singh LP, Mishra A, Saha D, Swarnakar S. (2011) World J Gastroenterol. Jul 28;17(28):3310-21. Doxycycline blocks gastric ulcer by regulating matrix metalloproteinase -2 activity and oxidative stress. (IF=3.1)
- Dey S, Stalin S, Gupta A, Saha D, Kesh K, Swarnakar S (2012) Mol Carcinog 51 Suppl 1, E42-53 doi: 10.1002/mc.21837. Matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene polymorphisms and their haplotypes are associated with gastric cancer risk in eastern Indian population. (IF-4.09)
- Singh, L. P., Sharma, A. V and Swarnakar, S. (2011) J. Pineal Res. Vol 51 (61-74) Upregulation of Collagenase –1 and –3 in indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in diabetic rat: role of melatonin.
- Mishra, A., Paul, S. and Swarnakar, S. (2011) Biochime, Vol 93 (854-66). Downregulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9 by melatonin during prevention of alcohol-induced liver injury in mice.
- Kundu, P., De R., Pal, I, Saha, D., Mukhopadhyay, K A., and Swarnakar, S. (2011) Plos One Vol 6. Curcumin alleviates Matrix metalloproteinase-3 and -9 activities during eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection in cultured cells and mice. (IF=4.4)
- Swarnakar S, Paul S, Singh PK and Reiter RJ (2011) J. Pineal Res. Vol 50 (8-20) Matrix metalloproteinases in health and disease: regulation by melatonin.
- Swarnakar, S and Paul, S (2010). Proc Cell Cytol Gen, Vol 14 (45-54). Arsenic toxicity in embryo implantation: matrix metalloproteinases as key regulator
- Paul, S., Bhattacharya, P., Das Mahapatra, P. and Swarnakar, S. (2010) J. Pineal Res. 49, 156-168. Melatonin protects against endometriosis via regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 and an apoptotic pathway.
- Ganguly, K., Sharma, A.V., Reiter R.J. and Swarnakar, S. (2010) J. Pineal. Res. 49, 130-140. Melatonin promotes angiogenesis during protection and healing of indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer: Role of matrix metaloproteinase-2.
- Ganguly, K and Swarnakar, S. (2009) J. Pineal Res, 47, 43-55. Induction of MMP-9 and-3 in nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug induced acute gastric ulcer in mice: Regulation by melatonin.
- Paul, S and Swarnakar, S (2009) Ind. J Biochem and Biophy,46, 59-65.Curcumin arrests endometriosis by downregulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity.
- De R, Kundu P, Swarnakar S, Ramamurthy T, Chowdhury A, Nair GB, Mukhopadhyay AK. (2009) Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 53(4):1592-1597. Antimicrobial activity of curcumin against Indian Helicobacter pylori and also during mice infection.
- Vidavalur, R., Swarnakar, S. Thirunavukkarasu, M., Samuel, S M and Maulik, N. (2008) Curr. Drug Dis Tech, 5(4), 269-78. In vivo and in vitro approaches to study mechanisms of cardioprotection targeting Ischemia/Reperfusion (I/R) injury: useful technique for cardiovascular drug discovery.
- Paul, S., Sharma, A.V., DasMahapatra, P., Bhattacharya, P., Reiter, R. J. and Swarnakar, S. (2008) J. Pineal Res. 44:439-49. Role of melatonin in regulating matrix metalloproteinase-9 via tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase-1 during protection against endometriosis.
- Singh, L. P., Kundu, P., Ganguly, K., Mishra, A and Swarnakar, S. (2007) Free Rad. Biol. Med. 43, 289-299. A novel role of famotidine in downregulation of matrix metalloproteinase-9 during protection of ethanol-induced acute gastric ulcer.
- Swarnakar, S., Mishra, A., Ganguly, K. and Sharma, A. V. (2007) J. Pineal Res, 43, 56-64. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity and expression is reduced by melatonin during prevention of ethanol-induced gastric ulcer in mice.
- Kundu, P., Mukhopadhyay, K A., Patra, J., Banerjee, A., Berg, D.E. and Swarnakar, S. (2006) J. Biol. Chem. 281, 34651-34662. Cag negative Helicobacter pylori strain infection upregulates matrix metalloproteinase-9 expression and activity in mice.
- Ganguly, K., Kundu, P., Banerjee, A., Reiter, R.J. and Swarnakar, S. (2006) Free Rad. Biol. Med. 41, 911-925. Hydrogen peroxide-mediated downregulation of matrix metalloprotease-2 in indomethacin-induced acute gastric ulceration is blocked by melatonin and other antioxidants.
- Ganguly, K., Maity, P., Reiter R.J. and Swarnakar, S. (2005) J. Pineal. Research 39, 307-315. Effect of melatonin on secreted and induced matrix metalloproteinase-9 and -2 activity during prevention of indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer.
- Swarnakar, S., Ganguly, K., Kundu, P., Banerjee, A., Maity, P. and Sharma, A.V. (2005) J. Biol. Chem. 280, 9409-15. Curcumin regulates expression and activity of matrix metalloproteinases -9 and -2 during prevention and healing of indomethacin- induced gastric ulcer.
- Swarnakar, S., Beers, J., Strickland, D. K., Azhar, S. and Williams, D. L. (2001) J. Biol. Chem.276, 21121-21128. The ApoE-dependent low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesteryl ester selective uptake pathway in murine adrenocortical cells involves chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans and an α2-macroglobulin receptor.
- Yancey, P. G., de la Llera-Moya. M, Swarnakar, S., Monzo, P., Klein, S. M., Connelly, M. A., Johnson, W.H., Williams, W. L. and Rothblat, G. H. (2000) J. Biol. Chem.275, 36596-36604. High density lipoproten phospholipid composition is a major determinant of the bi-directional flux and net movement of cellular free cholesterol mediated by scavenger receptor-BI (SR-BI).
- Swarnakar, S., Rengasamy, A., Quigley, J. P. and Armstrong, P. B (2000) Biochem. J. 347, 679-685. Binding of a2-macroglobulin and limulin: regulation of the plasma hemolytic system of the american horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus
- Swarnakar, S., Temel, R. E., Connelly, M. A., Azhar, S. and Williams, W. L. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274, 29733-39. Scavenger receptor, class B, Type I mediates selective uptake of low density lipoprotein cholesteryl ester.
- Williams, D. L., Connelly, M. A., Temel, R. E., Swarnakar, S., Phillips, M. C., de la Llera-Moya M and Rothblat, G. H. (1999) Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 10, 329-339. Scavenger receptor BI and cholesterol trafficking.
- Swarnakar, S., Reyland, M. E., Deng, J., Azhar, S. and Williams, D. L. (1998) J. Biol. Chem. 273, 12140-12147. Selective uptake of low density lipoprotein-cholesteryl ester is enhanced by the inducible apolipoprotein E expression in cultured mouse adrenal cells.
- Armstrong, P. B., Melchior, R., Swarnakar, S. and Quigley, J. P (1998) Mol. Immunol. 35, 47-53. α2- macroglobulin does not function as a C3 homologue in the plasma hemolytic system of the american horseshoe crab, Limulus.
- Dadacay, A.V.M., Huerta, J. C., Theiner, C. J., Swarnakar, S. and Cohen, W. D. (1996). Biol.Bull, 191, 276-277. Reversible alteration of molluscan erythrocyte morphology by a natural hemolymph activity.
- Swarnakar, S., Quigley, J. P. and Armstrong, P. B. (1996) Biol. Bull. 191, 299-300. Potentiation of limulin-mediated cytolysis by thiol ester-reacted forms of Limulus α2-macroglobulin: identification of functionally important domains.
- Swarnakar, S., Quigley, J. P. and Armstrong, P. B (1996) Biol. Bull. 191, 298. The plasma-based cytolytic system of the american horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus: cooperative interaction of the sialic acid-binding lectin limulin and thiol ester-reacted α2- macroglobulin.
- Armstrong, P. B., Swarnakar, S., Srimal, S., Misquith, S., Elizabeth, H. A., Aimes, R. T. and Quigley, J. P (1996) J. Biol. Chem. 271, 14717-14721. A cytolytic function for a sialic-acid binding lectin that is a member of the pentraxin family of proteins.
- Swarnakar, S., Melchior, R., Quigley, J.P and Armstrong, P. B (1995) Biol. Bull. 189, 226-227. Regulation of Plasma cytolytic pathway of Limulus polyphemus by α2- macroglobulin.
- Aimes, R. T., Quigley, J. P., Swarnakar, S., Strickland, D. K. and Armstrong, P. B (1995) Biol. Bull. 189, 225-226. Preliminary investigations on the scavenger receptors of the amebocyte of the American horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus.
- Rao, C. M., Jilani, A., Swarnakar, S., Deb, T. B. and Datta, K (1996) Anal. Biochem. 236, 171-173. A method to radio-iodinate hyaluronic acid and its use as a probe to detect hyaluronic acid binding protein.
- Swarnakar, S., Chowdhury, P. S. and Sarkar, M (1991) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.178, 85-94. N-glycolylneuraminic acid specific lectin from Pila globosa snail.
- Deb N, Mallick S, Jaiswal A, Manna A, Mabalirajan U, Swarnakar S. Role of matrix metalloproteinase and oxidants in lung diseases. Oxidative stress in lung diseases. Vol. 2 Springer (2018).
- Swarnakar S et al. (2018) Tobacco addiction: effect on human health, E. book, USA, (Ed. Dr. N. Baker)
- Swarnakar S and Jana S. Matrix Metalloproteinases. Encyclopedia of Signaling Molecules (2nd Edition) Springer (2017).
- Roy A, Ghosh S, Mazumder R, Paul S and Swarnakar S. Gastric pathology and metalloproteinases. Proteases in pathology and physiology. Springer pub (2016).
- Verma S, Tripathy S, Raychaudhuri S, Swarnakar S. Insights into Metalloproteinases Regulation in Gastrointestinal Cancers: Epigenetic Influences. Gastrointestinal Cancers: Prevention, Detection and Treatment.
- Sarkar, S; Chatterjee, S and Swarnakar, S. Chapter: Matrix Metalloproteinases in Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Brain: Antioxidants as Rescuer in the Book Proteases in Health and Disease. Springer pub (2013).
- Roychoudhury, S., Roy, A., Chatterjee,I., Roychowdhury, R and Swarnakar, S. Chapter: Landscape of HPV in human cancers: prevention and therapeutic avenues Book: Oncoviruses and Their Inhibitors . CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, USA (2013)
- Jana S and Swarnakar, S. Chapter: Curcumin and cardiovascular diseases in the Book Cardiovascular Diseases: Nutritional and Therapeutic Interventions. SPi Global Publisher (2012)
- Chatterjee, S., Roy ,A., Laskar, A and Swarnakar, S. Chapter: Electron Microscopy in the Perspective of Modern Biology: Ultravision and Ultradimension in the Book: Microscopy book series Number 5, Formatex Publication (2012)
- Banerjee, A, Mukhopadhyay A, Paul, S , Bhattacharyya, A and Swarnakar, S. Unveiling the intricacies of Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric inflammation: T helper cells and matrix metallloproteinases at a crossroad; Book: Current topics in gastritis, InTech Publication (2012)
- Swarnakar S, Paul, S and Ganguly, K. Regulating functions of angiogenesis in prevention and therapy of gastric ulcer. in the Book Angiognesis: insight from a systemic overview, Edited by, Gaetano Santulli. Nova Science Publisher (2012).
- Swarnakar S, Roychoudhury, S and Mishra A. Chapter: The gelatinases and their inhibitors: The structure –activity relationship in the Book “Advances in Studies on Matrix Metalloproteinase Inhibitors” edited by Satya P. Gupta, Published by Springer-Verlag,. (2011)
- Swarnakar, S. Chapter: Gastric ulceration in animals: A technique for studying biomarkers in “Biotechnology Applications”, Editor, Dr Pascale Champagne & Prof. S. K. Mishra. (2009)
• Swarnakar S and Dhar, TK. Assay Development: Fundamentals and Practices by Ge Wu Published by John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken. (2011)