Suvendra Bhattacharyya , Ph.D., FNASc., FASc., FAScT
Principal Scientist & HOD
- Mechanism of Extracellular Vesicles (EVs) mediated export of miRNA and its role in disease process.
- Importance of subcellular structures and organelles in post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression in human cells
- Effect of cellular microenvironment on miRNA-mediated gene regulation in mammalian cells.
- Role of host cell miRNAs and other post-transcriptional factors in regulation of parasitic infection of mammalian cells
HOD, Molecular Genetics Division
- 2004-2008: HFSPO Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
- 2003: PhD, Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- 1998-2003: Research Fellow, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Calcutta, India
Honours & Awards
- 2017: CDRI Award for Excellence in Drug Research
- 2016: Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in Biological Sciences
- 2015: National Bioscience Award
- 2015: NASI-Scopus Award
- 2014-2015: Swarnajayanti Fellow, Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
- 2009-2014: International Senior Research Fellow, The Wellcome trust, London
- 2008-2012: Career Development Awardee of the International Human Frontier Science Program Organization
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc)
- Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (FNASc)
- Fellow of the West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (FAScT)
- Member of Guha Research Conference
- 2004: AAAS/Science-GE healthcare Young Scientist Award, USA
- 2004: INSA Young Scientist award, INDIA
Patents & Publications
- Patranabis S, Bhattacharyya SN. P-body-induced inactivation of let-7a miRNP prevents the death of growth factor-deprived neuronal cells.(2017) FASEB J. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chakrabarty, Y, Bhattacharyya S.N.(2017). Leishmania donovani restricts mitochondrial dynamics to enhance miRNP stability and target RNA repression in host macrophages. Mol Biol Cell. 28:1091-1105. (Cover Article).
- Bose, M., Barman, B., Goswami, A., Bhattacharyya, S.N.(2017).Spatiotemporal Uncoupling of MicroRNA-Mediated Translational Repression and Target RNA Degradation Controls MicroRNP Recycling in Mammalian Cells. Mol Cell Biol. 37: pii:e00464-16.
- Mukherjee, K., Ghoshal, B., Ghosh, S., Chakrabarti, Y., Swetha, S., Das, S. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2016). Reversible HuR-microRNA binding controls extracellular export of miR-122 & augments stress response. EMBO Rep. 17: 1184-1203.(Faculty 1000 Prime Article).
- Bose, M. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2016). Target dependent biogenesis of cognate miRNAs in mammalian cells. Nat. commun.7:12200.
- Patranabis, S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2016). Phosphorylation of Ago2 and Subsequent Inactivation of let-7a miRNPs Control Differentiation of Mammalian Sympathetic Neurons. Mol. Cell. Biol. 36,1260-1271.
- Barman, B. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2015). mRNA targeting to Endoplasmic Reticulum precedes Ago protein interaction and miRNA-mediated translation repression in mammalian cells. J. Biol. Chem. 290, 24650-24656.
- Ghosh S., Bose M., Ray A., Bhattacharyya S.N., (2015). Polysome arrest restricts miRNA turnover by preventing their exosomal export in growth retarded mammalian cells. Mol. Biol. Cell. 26, 1072-1083.
- Basu, S. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2014). Insulin-like growth factor-1 prevents miR-122 production in neighbouring cells to curtail its intercellular transfer to ensure proliferation of human hepatoma cells. Nucleic Acids Res., 42, 7170-7185.
- Mazumder, A., Bose, M., Chakraborti, A., Chakrabarti, S. and Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2013). A transient reversal of miRNA-mediated repression controls macrophage activation. EMBO Rep., 14, 1008-1016.
- Ghosh, J., Bose, M., Roy, S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., (2013). Leishmania donovani Targets Dicer1to Downregulate miR-122, Lower Serum Cholesterol, and Facilitate Murine Liver Infection. Cell Host Microbe, 13, 277-288.(See Commentary: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chom.2013.02.018)
- Kundu, P., Fabian, M.R., Sonenberg, N., Bhattacharyya, S.N.*, Filipowicz, W*., (2012). HuR protein attenuates miRNA-mediated repression by promoting miRISC dissociation from the target RNA. Nucleic Acids Res., 40, 5088-6000.* co-corresponding author
- Cougot, N*., Bhattacharyya, S.N*., Tapia-Arancibia, L., Bordonné R., Filipowicz, W., Bertrand E., and Rage, F., (2008). Dendrites of mammalian neurons contain specialized P-body-like structures that respond to neuronal activation. J. Neuroscience, 28, 13793-13804.* co-first author
- Filipowicz, W., Bhattacharyya, S.N., Sonenberg, N., (2008). Mechanisms of post-transcriptional regulation by microRNAs: are the answers in sight? Nat Rev Genet., 9, 102-114.
- Bhattacharyya, S.N., & Filipowicz W., (2007). Argonautes and company: sailing against the wind. Cell, 128, 1027-1028.
- Pillai, R.S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., & Filipowicz W., (2007). Repression of protein synthesis by miRNAs: How many mechanisms? Trends in Cell Biology, 17, 118-126.
- Bhattacharyya, S.N., Habermacher, R., Martine, U., Closs, E.I., & Filipowicz, W., (2006). Relief of microRNA-mediated translational repression in human cells subjected to stress. Cell, 125, 1111-1124.
- Kotaja, N*., Bhattacharyya, S.N*., Jaskiewicz, L, Kimmins, S, Parvinen, M, Filipowicz, W., & Sassone-Corsi, P., (2006). The chromatoid body of male germ cells: Similarity with processing bodies and presence of Dicer and microRNA pathway components. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A., 103, 2647-2652.* Co-first author
- Pillai, R.S., Bhattacharyya, S.N., Artus, C.G., Zoller, T., Cougot, N., Basyuk, E., Bertrand, E. & Filipowicz W., (2005). Inhibition of translational initiation by let-7 microRNA in human cells. Science, 309, 573-1576.