Paulomi Ghosh , Ph.D.
INSPIRE Faculty (DST)
Structural Biology & Bioinformatics
Novel biomaterials – Keratin from bio-waste has potential as a source of polyamide polymers that could replace petroleum derived materials if appropriate extraction and processing methods can be developed. In our lab, we are using chicken feather, hair and yak wool to extract keratin using reduction process and green chemistry.
Medical Textile – Combination of medical science and textile technology has led to the emergence of medical textile industry. Applications of medical textile include wound dressing/gauze/surgical end-use/artificial ligament/hollow fibers for dialysis, etc. In our lab, we are employing wet spinning, electrospinning and melt extrusion to develop micro/nanofibers for healthcare applications.
Antibacterial fiber – Natural textiles are damaged by bacterial attacks, and the fabrics used in hospitals against contamination can themselves act as vectors for nosocomial infections. Protection against these biohazards and consumers’ demand for hygienic products requires antimicrobial textiles. In our laboratory, we are currently using antibacterial agents or nanoparticles to fabricate fibers with biocidal activity for clinical applications.
3D printing – I have experience on working with fused deposition modelling (FDM) systems to print bio-mimetic tissues for osteochondral regeneration of large pediatric defects.
Tissue engineering – Tissue engineering is the application of engineering methods to create environments and/or materials that promote cell or tissue growth and function, in vitro and in vivo. I have demonstrated the use of fibers, hydrogels and 3D printed scaffolds for various osseous and osteochondral tissue engineering applications.
Radiopaque polymer – I have developed a platform technology for generating radiopaque (X-ray opaque) polymer based derivatives via in situ iodination-cross-linking reactions for real time non-invasive imaging. I have demonstrated time-dependent movement of radiopaque microspheres through gastrointestinal tract in a rat model via delayed CT imaging. The opacity of the radiopaque derivatives was comparable to aluminum of equivalent thickness and commercially available radiopaque tape.
INSPIRE Faculty (2017-till date)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Cincinnati Children`s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC), USA, 2015-17
Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India, 2010-15
Honours & Awards
Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Awardee, 2015
Winner and gold medallist of Department of Science and Technology -Lockheed Martin India Innovation Growth Program, 2015
Patents & Publications
- Inventors: Paulomi Ghosh, Chia-Ying James Lin, Stacey Gruber, Patrick W. Whitlock.
Title of invention: Microspheres containing decellularized cartilage induce chondrogenesis in vitro and remain functional after incorporation within a poly(caprolactone) filament useful for fabricating a 3D scaffold. US Patent, serial number: 62/578,037, Date of filing: 27/10/2017.
- Inventors: Paulomi Ghosh, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Santanu Dhara.
Title of invention: Fiber-cell construct/tissue analogues comprising cell laden unit and process for manufacturing the same thereof. Application number: 278/KOL/2015, Date of Filing: 14/03/2015, Publication date: 1/12/2017.
- Inventors: Harpreet Singh, Nimmy Francis, Paulomi Ghosh, Santanu Dhara.
Title of invention: In situ iodination crosslinking of polymer formulations containing amine functionality for radioopacity, antimicrobial property obtained thereof. Application number: 1342/KOL/2014, Date of filing: 22/12/2014, Publication date: 26/08/2016
- Inventors: Paulomi Ghosh, Manisit Das, Santanu Dhara.
Title of invention: Chitosan based biodegradable materials for biomedical applications. Application number: 566/KOL/2013, Date of filing: 18/05/2013, Publication date: 21/11/2014.
- Ashmita Mukherjee,Yogesh H. Kabutare, Paulomi Ghosh*. Dual crosslinked keratin-alginate fibers formed via ionic complexation of amide networks with improved toughness for assembling into braids. Polymer Testing 2020, 81, 106286
- Stacey M. S. Gruber, Paulomi Ghosh, Karl Wilhelm Mueller, Patrick W. Whitlock, Chia-Ying Lin. Novel Process for 3D Printing Decellularized Matrices. Journal of Visualized Experiments 2019, 143, e58720
- Paulomi Ghosh, Stacey M S Gruber, Chia-Ying Lin and Patrick W Whitlock. Microspheres containing decellularized cartilage induce chondrogenesis in vitro and remain functional after incorporation within a poly(caprolactone) filament useful for fabricating a 3D scaffold. Biofabrication 2018, 10, 025007.
- Paulomi Ghosh, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Dipankar Das, Bhuvaneshwaran Subramanian, Sintu Kumar Samanta, Sabyasachi Roy, Sagar Pal, Sudip Kumar Ghosh and Santanu Dhara. Single-pot biofabrication of living fibers for tissue engineering applications. Journal of Materials Research 2018, 33, 2019-2028.
- Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Kamakshi Bankoti, Sayanti Datta, Elavarasan Subramani, Anupam Apoorva, Paulomi Ghosh, Priti Prasanna Maity, Padmavati Manchikanti, Koel Chaudhury, and Santanu Dhara. Silk Sponges Ornamented with a Placenta-Derived Extracellular Matrix Augment Full-Thickness Cutaneous Wound Healing by Stimulating Neovascularization and Cellular Migration. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2018, 10 (20), 16977–16991.
- Dipankar Das, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Paulomi Ghosh, Priyapratim Patra, Santanu Dhara, and Sagar Pal. Biocompatible nanogel derived from functionalized dextrin for targeted delivery of doxorubicin hydrochloride to MG 63 cancer cells. Carbohydrate Polymers 2017, 171, 27–38.
- Dipankar Das, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Priyapratim Patra, Paulomi Ghosh, Santanu Dhara, and Sagar Pal. Biocompatible amphiphilic microgel derived from dextrin and poly (methyl methacrylate) for dual drugs carrier. Polymer 2016, 107, 282–291.
- Nimmy K Francis, Harpreet Singh Pawar, Paulomi Ghosh, and Santanu Dhara. In situ iodination cross-linking of silk for radio-opaque antimicrobial surgical sutures. ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering 2016, 2, 188–196.
- Dipankar Das, Priyapratim Patra, Paulomi Ghosh, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Santanu Dhara, and Sagar Pal. Dextrin and poly (lactide)-based biocompatible and biodegradable nanogel for cancer targeted delivery of doxorubicin hydrochloride. Polymer Chemistry, 2016, 7, 2965–2975.
- Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Paulomi Ghosh, Elavarasan Subramani, Kamakshi Bankoti, Kausik Kapat, Sayanti Datta, Priti Prasana Maity, Bhuvaneshwaran Subramanian, Sabyasachi Roy, Koel Chaudhury, and Santanu Dhara. Investigating the potential of human placenta-derived extracellular matrix sponges coupled with amniotic membrane-derived stem cells for osteochondral tissue engineering, Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2016, 4, 613–625.
- Dipankar Das, Paulomi Ghosh, Animesh Ghosh, Chanchal Haldar, Santanu Dhara, Asit Baran Panda, and Sagar Pal. Stimulus-responsive, biodegradable, biocompatible, covalently cross-linked hydrogel based on dextrin and poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) for in vitro/in vivo controlled drug release, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015, 7, 14338–14351
- Raghunath Das, Dipankar Das, Paulomi Ghosh, Santanu Dhara, Asit Baran Panda, and Sagar Pal. Development and application of a nanocomposite derived from crosslinked HPMC and Au nanoparticles for colon targeted drug delivery. RSC Advances 2015, 5, 27481–27490.
- Paulomi Ghosh, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Dipankar Das, Nimmy K Francis, Harpreet Singh Pawar, Bhuvaneshwaran Subramanian, Sagar Pal, and Santanu Dhara. Covalent cross- 5 Paulomi Ghosh, PhD links in polyampholytic chitosan fibers enhances bone regeneration in a rabbit model, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2015, 125, 160–169.
- Dipankar Das, Paulomi Ghosh, Santanu Dhara, Asit Baran Panda, and Sagar Pal. Dextrin and Poly(acrylic Acid) based biodegradable, non-Cytotoxic, chemically crosslinked hydrogel for Sustained Release of Ornidazole and Ciprofloxacin. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015, 7, 4791–4803
- Paulomi Ghosh, Manisit Das, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Dipankar Das, Sayanti Datta, Sagar Pal, Asit Baran Panda, and Santanu Dhara. Chitosan derivatives cross-linked with iodinated 2,5-dimethoxy-2,5-dihydrofuran for non-invasive imaging. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2014, 6, 17926–17936.
- Paulomi Ghosh, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, and Santanu Dhara. Citrate cross-linked gels with strain reversibility and viscoelastic behavior accelerate healing of osteochondral defects in a rabbit model. Langmuir 2014, 30, 8442–8451.
- Paulomi Ghosh, Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Nantu Dogra, and Santanu Dhara. 2,5- Dimethoxy 2,5-dihydrofuran cross-linked chitosan fibers enhances bone regeneration in rabbit femur defects. RSC Advances 2014, 4, 19516–19524.
- Arun Prabhu Rameshbabu, Saralasrita Mohanty, Kamakshi Bankoti, Paulomi Ghosh, and Santanu Dhara. Effect of alumina, silk and ceria short fibers in reinforcement of Bis- 8 Paulomi Ghosh, PhD GMA/TEGDMA dental resin. Composites Part B: Engineering 2014, 70, 238–246.
- Raghunath Das, Dipankar Das, Paulomi Ghosh, Animesh Ghosh, and Santanu Dhara, Asit Baran Panda, Sagar Pal. Novel pH responsive graft copolymer based on HPMC and poly (acrylamide) synthesised by microwave irradiation: application in controlled release of ornidazole. Cellulose 2014, 22, 313–327.
- Dipankar Das, Raghunath Das, Paulomi Ghosh, Santanu Dhara, Asit Baran Panda, and Sagar Pal. Dextrin Cross-linked with Poly (HEMA): A novel hydrogel for colon specific delivery of ornidazole. RSC Advances 2013, 3, 25340–25350.
- Pallab Datta, Paulomi Ghosh, Kuntal Ghosh, Pritiprasanna Maity, Sintu Kumar Samanta, Sudip Kumar Ghosh, Pradeep Kumar Das Mohapatra, Jyotirmoy Chatterjee, and Santanu Dhara. In vitro ALP and osteocalcin gene expression analysis and In Vivo biocompatibility of N-Methylene phosphonic chitosan nanofibers for bone regeneration. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology 2013, 9, 870–879.