Sharmila Chattopadhyay , Ph.D., FNASc, FAScT
Senior Principal Scientist
- To unravel the dynamic complexity of plant disease resistance mechanism and cross-talk of GSH with other established signaling molecules to combat environmental stress`s in planta;
- To elucidate biosynthetic pathways of plant secondary metabolites viz. podophyllotoxin;
- Plant Metabolic Engineering: Genetic manipulation of plant natural products that have a potentially beneficial biological effect.
PhD, Visva Bharati University, 1988
Postdoctoral Fellow, ATO (DLO), Wageningen, The Netherlands
Honours & Awards
Patents & Publications
- Deepak Kumar and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2018) Glutathione modulates the expression of heat shock proteins via the transcription factors BZIP10 and MYB21 in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 69(15):3729-3743.
- Saptarshi Hazra, Dipto Bhattacharyya Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2017) Methyl Jasmonate regulates Podophyllotoxin accumulation in Podophyllum hexandrum by altering the ROS-responsive Podophyllotoxin pathway gene expression additionally through the down regulation of few interfering miRNAs.Frontiers in Plant Science, 8, 164.
- Deepak Kumar, Saptarshi Hazra, Riddhi Datta and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2016) Transcriptome analysis of Arabidopsis mutants suggests a crosstalk between ABA, ethylene and GSH against combined cold and osmotic stress. Scientific Reports, 6:36867.
- Dipto Bhattacharyya1, Saptarshi Hazra1, Anindyajit Banerjee, Riddhi Datta, Deepak Kumar, Saikat Chakrabarti and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2016)Transcriptome-wide identification and characterization of CAD isoforms specific for podophyllotoxin biosynthesis from Podophyllum hexandrum Plant Molecular Biology, 92, 1-23.
- Riddhi Datta, Deepak Kumar, Asma Sultana, Saptarshi Hazra, Dipto Bhattacharyya, and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2015) Glutathione Regulates ACC Synthase Transcription via WRKY33 and ACC Oxidase by Modulating Messenger RNA Stability to Induce Ethylene Synthesis during Stress. Plant Physiology, 169, 2963–2981.
- Bhattacharaya Dipto and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2015) Characterization of podophyllotoxin biosynthetic pathway and future prospect of podophyllotoxin production from Podophyllum hexandrum Chemical Biology Letters, 2(1), 12-21.
- Sarkar, S. Das,A. Ray and P. P. Parui, Riddhi Datta, Sharmila Chattopadhyay (2015) Exploitation of a new Schiff-base ligand for boric acid fluorescent sensing in aqueous medium with bio-imaging studies in a living plant system. RSC Advances, 5, 51875-51882. DOI: 10.1039/c5ra08086j.
- Riddhi Datta and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2015) Changes in theproteome of pad2-1, a glutathione depleted Arabidopsis mutant, during Pseudomonas syringae Journal of Proteomics, 126, 82-93.
- Srijani Ghanta, Riddhi Datta, Dipto Bhattacharyya, Ragini Sinha, Deepak Kumar, Saptarshi Hazra, Aparupa Bose Mazumdar and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2014) Multistep involvement of glutathione with salicylic acid and ethylene to combat environmental stress. Journal of Plant Physiol., 171, 940-950.
- Dipto Bhattacharyya, Ragini Sinha, Saptarshi Hazra, Riddhi Datta and Sharmila Chattopadhyay*(2013) De novo transcriptome analysis using 454 pyrosequencing of the Himalayan Mayapple, Podophyllum hexandrum. BMC Genomics, 4(1):748.
- Riddhi Datta, Ragini Sinha, and Sharmila Chattopadhyaya* (2013) Changes in leaf proteome profile of Arabidopsis thaliana in response to salicylic acid. Journal of Bioscience, 38(2),1-12.
- Sayan Chowdhury, Tulika Mukherjee, Rupkatha Mukhopadhyay, Budhaditya Mukherjee, Souvik Sengupta, Sharmila Chattopadhyay, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Syamal Roy, Hemanta K. Majumder* (2012) The lignan niranthin poisons Leishmania donovani topoisomerase IB and favours a Th1 immune response in mice. EMBO Mol. Med. 4,1126-1134.
- Srijani Ghanta, Dipto Bhattacharyya, Ragini Sinha, Anindita Banerjee and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2011) Nicotiana tabacum overexpressing γ-ECSexhibits biotic stress tolerance likely through NPR1-dependent salicylic acid-mediated pathway. PLANTA, 233, 895-910.
- Avijit Poddar, Anindita Banerjee, Srijani Ghanta and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2008) In vivo Efficacy of CalceolariosideA against experimental Visceral Leishmaniasis. Planta Medica, 74, 503-508.
- Srijani Ghanta, Anindita Banerjee, Avijit Poddar and Sharmila Chattopadhyay* (2007) Oxidative DNA Damage Preventive Activity and Antioxidant Potential of Stevia rebaudiana (Bertoni) Bertoni, a Natural Sweetener. Agric. Food Chem. (ACS pubs) 55, 10962-10967.
INVITED REVIEW PUBLISHED
- Srijani Ghanta, Dipto Bhattacharyya, and Sharmila Chattopadhyay*. Glutathione as a signaling molecule: Another challenge to pathogen. Plant Signaling & Behaviour, 6 (6): 1-6, 2011.