Uday Bandyopadhyay , Ph.D.
Senior Principal Scientist
Infectious Diseases and Immunology
- Gastric ulcer and free radical biology:
- Gastric mucosal cell signaling, apoptosis, mitochondrial biology and dynamics.
- Wound healing, cell growth and proliferation
- The exploration of Plasmodium falciparum proteome to identify new drug target.
- Epigenetic and molecular biology of malaria parasite.
- Host- parasite interaction.
Ph.D Jadavpur University, Calcutta, 1994
Honours & Awards
- J.C. Bose National Fellow
- Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (FNA)
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc)
- Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc)
- INSERM Fellow , Paris, France
- Humboldt Fellow (Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation), Germany
- Fellow of the West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (FAScT)
Patents & Publications
- De R, Mazumder S, Sarkar S, Debsharma S, Siddiqui AA, Saha SJ, Banerjee C, Nag S, Saha D, Bandyopadhyay U. Acute mental stress induces mitochondrial bioenergetic crisis and hyper-fission along with aberrant mitophagy in the gut mucosa in rodent model of stress-related mucosal disease. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017 Dec;113:424-438. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2017.10.009. Epub 2017 Oct 7.
- Mazumder S, De R, Sarkar S, Siddiqui AA, Saha SJ, Banerjee C, Iqbal MS, Nag S, Debsharma S, Bandyopadhyay U. Selective scavenging of intra-mitochondrial superoxide corrects diclofenac-induced mitochondrial dysfunction and gastric injury: A novel gastroprotective mechanism independent of gastric acid suppression. Biochem Pharmacol. 2016 Dec 1;121:33-51. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2016.09.027. Epub 2016 Sep 28.
- Sarkar S, Siddiqui AA, Saha SJ, De R, Mazumder S, Banerjee C, Iqbal MS, Nag S, Adhikari S, Bandyopadhyay U. Antimalarial Activity of Small-Molecule Benzothiazole Hydrazones. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 Jun 20;60(7):4217-28. doi: 10.1128/AAC.01575-15. Print 2016 Jul.
- Sarkar S, Mazumder S, Saha SJ, Bandyopadhyay U. Management of Inflammation by Natural Polyphenols: A Comprehensive Mechanistic Update. Curr Med Chem. 2016 May 27;23(16):1657-95. Review.
- Goyal M, Banerjee C, Nag S, Bandyopadhyay U. The Alba protein family: Structure and function. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016 May;1864(5):570-83. doi: 10.1016/j.bbapap.2016.02.015. Epub 2016 Feb 17. Review.
- Iqbal MS, Siddiqui AA, Alam A, Goyal M, Banerjee C, Sarkar S, Mazumder S, De R, Nag S, Saha SJ, Bandyopadhyay U. Expression, purification and characterization of Plasmodium falciparum vacuolar protein sorting 29. Protein Expr Purif. 2016 Apr;120:7-15. doi: 10.1016/j.pep.2015.12.004. Epub 2015 Dec 12.
- Sarkar S, Siddiqui AA, Mazumder S, De R, Saha SJ, Banerjee C, Iqbal MS, Adhikari S, Alam A, Roy S, Bandyopadhyay U. Ellagic Acid, a Dietary Polyphenol, Inhibits Tautomerase Activity of Human Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor and Its Pro-inflammatory Responses in Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 May 27;63(20):4988-98. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b00921. Epub 2015 May 15.
- Mahata B, Banerjee A, Kundu M, Bandyopadhyay U, Biswas K. TALEN mediated targeted editing of GM2/GD2-synthase gene modulates anchorage independent growth by reducing anoikis resistance in mouse tumor cells. Sci Rep. 2015 Mar 12;5:9048. doi: 10.1038/srep09048.
- Dey S, Mazumder S, Siddiqui AA, Iqbal MS, Banerjee C, Sarkar S, De R, Goyal M, Bindu S, Bandyopadhyay U. Association of heme oxygenase 1 with the restoration of liver function after damage in murine malaria by Plasmodium yoelii. Infect Immun. 2014 Aug;82(8):3113-26. doi: 10.1128/IAI.01598-14. Epub 2014 May 12.
- Bindu S, Mazumder S, Dey S, Pal C, Goyal M, Alam A, Iqbal MS, Sarkar S, Azhar Siddiqui A, Banerjee C, Bandyopadhyay U. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug induces proinflammatory damage in gastric mucosa through NF-κB activation and neutrophil infiltration: anti-inflammatory role of heme oxygenase-1 against nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. Free Radic Biol Med. 2013 Dec;65:456-67. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2013.07.027. Epub 2013 Jul 23.
- Goyal M, Singh P, Alam A, Das SK, Iqbal MS, Dey S, Bindu S, Pal C, Das SK, Panda G, Bandyopadhyay U. Aryl aryl methyl thio arenes prevent multidrug-resistant malaria in mouse by promoting oxidative stress in parasites. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012 Jul 1;53(1):129-42. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2012.04.028. Epub 2012 May 3.
- Pal C, Bandyopadhyay U. Redox-active antiparasitic drugs. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2012 Aug 15;17(4):555-82. doi: 10.1089/ars.2011.4436. Epub 2012 Jan 25. Review.
- Alam A, Pal C, Goyal M, Kundu MK, Kumar R, Iqbal MS, Dey S, Bindu S, Sarkar S, Pal U, Maiti NC, Adhikari S, Bandyopadhyay U. Synthesis and bio-evaluation of human macrophage migration inhibitory factor inhibitor to develop anti-inflammatory agent. Bioorg Med Chem. 2011 Dec 15;19(24):7365-73. doi: 10.1016/j.bmc.2011.10.056. Epub 2011 Oct 24.
Identification and molecular characterization of an Alba-family protein from human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum. Goyal M, Alam A, Iqbal MS, Dey S, Bindu S, Pal C, Banerjee A, Chakrabarti S, Bandyopadhyay U. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Feb 1;40(3):1174-90.
Impact of Intravascular Hemolysis in Malaria on Liver Dysfunction: Involvement of Hepatic Free Heme Over-load, NF Activation and Neutrophil Infiltration. Sumanta Dey, Samik Bindu, Manish Goyal, Chinmay Pal, Athar Alam, Mohd. Shameel Iqbal, Rahul Kumar, Souvik Sarkar, and Uday Bandyopadhyay. J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Aug 3; 287(32):26630-46.
Novel anti-inflammatory activity of epoxyazadiradione against macrophage migration inhibitory factor: inhibition of tautomerase and pro-inflammatory activities of macrophage migration inhibitory factor. Alam A, Haldar S, Thulasiram HV, Kumar R, Goyal M, Iqbal MS, Pal C, Dey S, Bindu S, Sarkar S, Pal U, Maiti NC, Bandyopadhyay U. J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Jul 13;287(29):24844-61.
Tryptamine-gallic acid hybrid prevents non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced gastropathy: Correction of mitochondrial dysfunction and inhibition of apoptosis in gastric mucosal cells. Pal C, Bindu S, Dey S, Alam A, Goyal M, Iqbal MS, Sarkar S, Kumar R, Halder KK, Debnath MC, Adhikari S, Bandyopadhyay U. J Biol Chem. 2012 Jan 27;287(5):3495-509.
Translocation of heme oxygenase-1 to mitochondria is a novel cytoprotective mechanism against non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced mitochondrial oxidative stress, apoptosis and gastric mucosal injury. Bindu S, Pal C, Dey S, Goyal M, Alam A, Iqbal MS, Dutta S, Sarkar S, Kumar R, Maity P, Bandyopadhyay U. J Biol Chem. 286, 39387-39402, 2011.
Cysteine-3 and cysteine-4 are essential for the thioredoxin-like oxidoreductase and antioxidant activities of Plasmodium falciparum macrophage migration inhibitory factor. Alam A, Goyal M, Iqbal MS, Bindu S, Dey S, Pal C, Maity P, Mascarenhas NM, Ghoshal N, Bandyopadhyay U. Free. Radic. Biol. Med , 50 (2011) 1659–1668.
Indomethacin, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, develops gastropathy by inducing reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondrial pathology and associated apoptosis in gastric mucosa: A novel role of mitochondrial aconitase oxidation. Maity P, Bindu S, Dey S, Goyal M, Alam A, Pal C, Mitra K, Bandyopadhyay U. J. Biol. Chem. 284: (2009),3058-3068.
Lansoprazole protects and heals gastric mucosa from non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)-induced gastropathy by inhibiting mitochondrial as well as Fas-mediated death pathway with concurrent induction of mucosal cell renewal. P Maity, S. Bindu,V Choubey, A. Alam, K. Mitra, M. Goyal, S. Dey, M Guha, C. Pal and U Bandyopadhyay. J. Biol. Chem , 283 : (2008), 14391-14401.
Apoptosis in liver during malaria: Role of oxidative stress and implication of mitochondrial pathway. Mithu Guha, Sanjay Kumar, Vinay Choubey, Pallab Maity and Uday Bandyopadhyay (2006). FASEB. J, 20, 1224-1226.
Clotrimazole Inhibits Hemo- peroxidase of P. falciparum and Induces Oxidative Stress: PROPOSED ANTIMALARIAL MECHANISM OF CLOTRIMAZOLE. Vishal Trivedi ,Prem Chand, Kumkum Srivastava, Sunil K. Puri, Prakas R. Maulik, and Uday Bandyopadhyay (2005) J. Biol. Chem. 280, 41129-41136.