Parasuraman Jaisankar , Ph.D., FIC , FAScT
Chief Scientist & HOD
Organic & Medicinal Chemistry
Synthetic and Natural Product Chemistry, Asymmetric synthesis, Catalysis, C-H bond activation, Herbal Medicine etc.
- Development of chiral ligands and their transition metal complexes for asymmetric organic transformations.
- Synthesis of Lead Compounds and their analogues having various biological activities, with special focus on anticancer and anti-asthmatic, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Development of synthetic strategy for the generation of structurally unique bioactive molecules especially nitrogen heterocycles.
- Identification and structure elucidation of antibiotics isolated from marine actinobacterium. Search for safe drugs from herbal sources.
- Professor, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR) [Current]
- Chief Scientist & Head of the Department [2015-till date]
- Senior Principal Scientist, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata [2009-2015]
- Principal Scientist, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata [2004-2009]
- Scientist EI, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata [2000-2004]
- Scientist C, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata [1995-2000]
- Scientist B, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata [1990-1995]
- Research Scientist (INSA Fellow) National Changhua University of Education (NCUE, Taiwan (Prof. Hon Man Lee, Taiwan) 
- Research Scientist (DAAD Fellow) Technische Universitat Munich (TUM), Munich, Germany (Under Re-invitation) – (Prof. Lukas Hintermann) 
- Research Scientist, (RAMAN RESEARCH FELLOW) University of Nagoya, Japan (With Prof. Masato Kitamura, Japan) 
- Visiting Scientist (Indo-Polish DST Project) Nicolaus Copernicus University, Torun [2006, 2007]
- Post-Doctoral Research (RCMS Fellowship) University of Nagoya, Japan (With Nobel Laureate Prof. Ryoji Noyori’s group, Japan) [2001-2002]
- Post-Doctoral Research (CSIR-DAAD Fellow) University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany under DAAD Fellowship Programme (Prof. Hartmut Seliger, Germany) [1996-1998]
- Ph.D. (Chemistry), Jadavpur University [1990-1995]
- MSc. (Organic Chemistry), University of Madras, Presidency College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 
- BSc. (Chemistry), University of Madras, A. A. Govt. Arts College, Cheyyar, Tamil Nadu, India 
Honours & Awards
- Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science & Technology (FAScT) from WEST BENGAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (WAST) in 2018
- Awarded Best Teacher/Scientist Award-2017 by National Institute of Pharmaceutical Research (NIPER), Kolkata for the year 2017
- DST-GLP Inspector since 2016
- Awarded Dr. B. Mukherjee Memorial oration for excellent research contribution in natural products of Indian origin having pharmacological importance in the year 2016
- INSA International Fellowship for the year 2015 to visit NCU, Changua, Taiwan
- “Bharat Seva Ratan GOLD MEDAL Award by Global Economic Progress & Research Association (GEPRA), New Delhi for the year 2014.
- Raman Research Fellow Award (RRF) (2010): Awarded by CSIR, New Delhi for carrying out research in the field of catalysis in Japan.
- RCMS Fellow (2001): Awarded by Nobel Laureate Prof. Ryoji Noyori of Nagoya University, Japanese Govt. for carrying out research in the field of Asymmetry Catalysis.
- DAAD Fellowship (1996): Awarded by the German Academic Exchange Service, Bonn, Germany.
- Fellow of Institution of Chemists (FIC) (1999) : Awarded by the Institution of Chemists (India) for contributions in the field of Chemical Science
Grants & Supports
- SERB, Department of Science and Technology, India
- Department of Biotechnology, India
- Department of Science and Technology, India
- The Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), India
Patents & Publications
- 3-Indolyl furanoids as inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinase-9 for prevention of gastric ulcer and other inflammatory diseases: Parasuraman Jaisankar, Snehasikta Swarnakar, Sourav Chatterjee, Sugreev Verma, Madhumita Mandal, and Susri Ray Chaudhuri. US Patent, USA (Application number: 15/897,688 dated 15th February, 2018: patent has been filed provisionally in India, Appl. No. 201711005308, and Dated: 15th Feb 2017.
- Bandyopadhyay, S, Ghosh, B, Jaisankar, P, Pal, B C, Roy, S, Paul, B, Ram, A, Mabalirajan, U, Ali, N, Bandyopadhyay, A, Konar, A, Bagchi, J, Choudhury Mukherjee, I, Chaudhuri, J, Mahato, S K, Manna, A, Sinha, R, Bhattacharya, P, Vinayagam, J, Jana, D P, Chowdhury, S (2012) Substituted Catechols as inhibitors of IL-4 and IL-5 for the treatment of Bronchial Asthma. U.S. Patent Publication No. WO/2012/140574 was published on Oct. 18, 2012.
- Bandyopadhyay, S, Ghosh, B, Jaisankar, P, Pal, B C, Roy, S, Paul, B, Ram, A, Mabalirajan, U, Ali, N, Bandyopadhyay, A, Konar, A, Bagchi, J, Choudhury Mukherjee, I, Chaudhuri, J, Mahato, S K, Manna, A, Sinha, R, Bhattacharya, P, Vinayagam, J, Jana, D P, Chowdhury, S (2011) Inhibitors of IL-4 and IL-5 for the treatment of bronchial asthma. Indian Patent, Application No. 1032DEL2011, dated 11th April 2011.
- Bandyopadhay, S, Pal, B C, Jaisankar, P, Roy, S, Chakraborty, J B, Choudhury (Mukherjee), I, Mahato, S K, Konar, A, Paul, K, Vinayagam, J, Pal, C (2010) Inhibitors of Phosphatidylinositol-3-Kinase (P13) and Inducers of Nitric Oxide (NO). U.S. Patent Application number: PCT/IB2010/000040, Publ. No. WO/2010/079423, 2010.
- Giri, V S, Mukherjee, R, Burman,A C, Gurjar, M K, Yadav, J S, Jaggi, M, Singh, A, Srivastav, S K, Jaisankar, P, Pal, B, Banerjee, A K and Wakharkar, R D (2004) Flavoperereine Derivatives For Cancer Therapy. International Patent Application No. PCT/IN2004/00167
- Mukherjee, J, Saha, M, Jaisankar, P, Das, S, Sarkar, K, K and Dutta, P K (2004) Isolation of a New Antimicrobial Compound (2,3-dihydroxy-4-(2,3,5-trihydroxy-pentanoylamino)-butyric acid 3-[3-(2,3-dihydroxy-propoxycarbonyl)-2,3-dihydroxy-propoxycarbonyl]-2,3-dihydroxy-propyl ester. Indian Patent, Application No. 372/KOL/2004,
- Giri, V S, Jaisankar, P and Manna, R K (1996) An improved process for the preparation of the alkaloid nauclefidine. Indian Patent, NF-41/96-PAT dt. 29.3.1996.
- Somnath Roy Chowdhury, Joseane Lima Prado Godinho, Jayaraman Vinayagam, Aline Araujo Zuma, Sara Teixeira De Macedo Silva, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Juliany Cola Fernandes Rodrigues, Wanderley DeSouza and Hemanta K. Majumder, Isobenzofuranone derivative JVPH3, an inhibitor of L. donovani topoisomerase II, disrupts mitochondrial architecture in trypanosomatid parasites (2018) Scientific Reports 8 11940 DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-30405-w
- Prasanta Nahak, Rahul Gajbhiye, Gourab Karmakar, Pritam Guha, Biplab Roy, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Alexey G. Bikov, Alexander V. Akentiev, Boris A. Noskov, Kausik Nag, Parasuraman Jaisankar*, Amiya Kumar Panda Orcinal Glucoside Loaded Polymer – Lipid Hybrid Nanostructured Lipid Carriers: Potential Cytotoxic Agents against Gastric, Colon and Heptoma Carcinoma Cell Lines:(2018) Pharmaceutical Research, 35 198 [https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2469-3].
- Chiranjit Acharya, Anushree Achari and Parasuraman Jaisankar* Daucus carota root enzyme catalyzed Henry reaction: A green approach (2018) Tetrahedron Lett. 59 (7) 663-666 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2018.01.009
- Sourav Chatterjee, Lukas Hintermann, Madhumita Mandal, Anushree Achari, Sreya Gupta, and Parasuraman Jaisankar* Fiaud’s Acid: A Brønsted Acid Catalyst for Enantioselective Friedel–Crafts Alkylation of Indoles with 2-Alkene-1,4-diones (2017) Organic Letters. 19 (13) 3426–3429 DOI: 10.1021/acs.orglett.7b01383
- Vinayagam, J, Gajbhiye, R. L, Mandal, L, Arumugam, M, Achari, A, Parasuraman Jaisankar* Substituted Furans as Potent Lipoxygenase Inhibitors: Synthesis, in vitro and Molecular Docking Studies (2017) Bioorg. Chem. 71 97-101 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bioorg.2017.01.016
- Acharya, C, Mandal, M, Dutta, T, Ghosh, A K, and Parasuraman Jaisankar* Enzyme from Daucus carota root catalyzed asymmetric cross aldol reactions (2016) Tetrahedron Lett. 57 (39) 4382-4385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2016.08.056
- Saha, S, Acharya, C, Parasuraman Jaisankar*, Majumder, H K A novel spirooxindole derivative inhibits the growth of Leishmania donovani parasite both in vitro and in vivo by targeting type IB topoisomerase (2016) Antimicrob. Agents and Chemother 60 (10) 6281-6293 DOI: 10.1128/AAC.00352-16
- Chatterjee, S, Butterfoss, G L, Mandal, M, Paul, B, Gupta, S, Bonneau, R, and Jaisankar, P* Racemization barriers of atropisomeric 3,3′-bipyrroles: an experimental study with theoretical verification (2016) RSC Adv. 6 71245 DOI: 10.1039/C6RA07585A
- Banerjee, T, Kar, D, Krishna, P. K, Prabhakar, S, Nomula, R, Mallula, V. S, Hajari, R, Sridhar, G, Adepu, R, Srikanth, G, Mabalirajan, U, Ghosh, B, Jaisankar, P, Johri, R, Chakraborty, D, Mishra, V, Chhabra, J. K, Shukla, M, Paul, B. N, Bandyopadhyay, S, Roy, S, Sharma, G. V. M, and Bandyopadhyay, A A novel triazine-aryl-bis-indole derivative inhibits both phosphodiesterase IV and expression of cell adhesion molecules (2015) RSC Adv. 5 70271 DOI:10.1039/C5RA11495K
- Sourav Chatterjee, Pinaki Bhattacharjee, Jagadeesh Temburu, Debkumar Nandi, Parasuraman Jaisankar*, Indium trichloride catalyzed sp3 C–H bond functionalization of 2-alkyl azaarenes under microwave irradiation (2014) Tetrahedron Lett. 55 (49) 6680-6683 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2014.10.058
- Sayan Chowdhury, Tulika Mukherjee, Somenath Chowdhury, Souvik Sengupta, Sibabrata Mukhopadhyay, Parasuraman Jaisankar, and Hemanta Majumder, Disuccinyl betulin triggers Metacaspase Dependent Endonuclease G Mediated Cell death in Unicellular Protozoan Parasite Leishmania donovani (2014) Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 58 2186-2201 DOI: 10.1128/AAC.02193-13
- Jaydeep Chaudhuri Avik Acharya Chowdhury, Nabendu Biswas, Anriban Manna, Soura Chatterjee, Tulika Mukherjee, Ytpal Chaudhuri, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Santu Bandyopadhyay, Superoxide activates mTOR–eIF4E–Bax route to induce enhanced apoptosis in leukemic cells (2014) Apoptosis 19 135-148 doi: 10.1007/s10495-013-0904-9
- Tapas Kr. Kundu, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Siddhartha Roy, International Symposium on Challenges in Chemical Biology: Toward the Formation of Chemical Biology Society of India (2013) ACS Chem. Biol. 8 (4) 658-661 DOI: 10.1021/cb4001876
- Prasun K Pradhan, Debkumar Nandi, Soma Das Pradhan, Parasuraman Jaisankar and V. S. Giri, An Unusual Diastereoselective Pictet-Spengler Reaction: Synthesis of Novel Tetrahydro-β-Carboline Glycosides (2013) Synlett. 24(1) 85-89 DOI: 10.1055/s-0032-1317632
- Sanjit K. Mahato, Jayaraman Vinayagam, Sumit Dey, Ajay K. Timiri, Sourav Chatterjee and Parasuraman Jaisankar* InCl3 catalysed one-pot synthesis of substituted pyrroles and 2-pyrones (2013) Aust. Journal of Chemistry 66 241-251 DOI: 10.1071/CH12359
- Sayan Chowdhury, Tulika Mukherjee, Rupkatha Mukhopadhyay, Budhaditya Mukherjee, Souvik Sengupta, Sharmila Chattopadhyay, Parasuraman Jaisankar, Syamal Roy and Hemanta K. Majumder The Lignan Niranthin poisons Leishmania donovani topoisomerase IB and favours a Th1 immune response in mice (2012) EMBO, Mol. Med 4(10) 1126-1143 DOI 10.1002/emmm.201201316
- Chiranjit Acharya, Sumit Dey, Parasuraman Jaisankar* Indium trichloride catalyzed three component one-pot route to 1-hydroxymethyl-3-aminomethyl indoles (2012) Tetrahedron Lett. 53 5548-51 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2012.08.034
- Madhumita Mandal, Saurav Chatterjee and Parasuraman Jaisankar* Woollins Reagent: A Chemoselective Reducing agent for 1,4-enediones and 1,4-ynediones to Saturated 1,4-Diones (2012) Synlett 23(18) 2615-18 DOI: 10.1055/s-0032-1317343
- Debkumar Nandi, Shila Elizabeth Besra, Joseph Rajan Vedasiromoni, Venkatachalam, Sesha Giri, Prince Rana, Parasuraman Jaisankar* Anti-leukemic activity of Wattakaka volubilis leaf extract against human myeloid leukemia cell lines (2012) Journal of Ethnopharmacology 144(3) 466-473 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.08.021
- Subhadra Garai, Saraswati Garai, Parasuraman Jaisankar, J. K. Singh, Adirajan Elango A comprehensive study on crude methanolic extract of Artemisia pallens (Asteraceae) and its active component as effective corrosion inhibitors of mild steel in acid solution (2012) Corrosion Science 60 193-204 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.corsci.2012.03.036
- Parasuraman Jaisankar, Shinji Tanaka, Masato Kitamura Catalytic Dehydrative S-Allylation of Cysteine Containing Peptides in Aqueous Media toward Lipopeptide Chemistry (2011) J. Org. Chem. 76 1894-1897 DOI: 10.1021/jo102278m
- Madhumita Mandal, Deepak Kumar, Rajneeta Roy, Rupashree Sen, Padma Das, Mitali Chatterjeec and Parasuraman Jaisankar* Regioselective One Pot Synthesis of 3, 3-Diindolylethylene Derivatives and Study of their Cytotoxic activity (2011) Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Lett. 21 3084-3087 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2011.03.028
- R. Kumari, M. Arumugam, D. Nandi, B. K. Agrawalla, A. A. Chowdhury, P. Selvamani, S. Latha, V. S. Giri, J. Mukherjee, S. Bandyopadhyay and P. Jaisankar* Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of bark extracts from Commiphora berryi and Commiphora caudate (2011) Natural Prod. Res., 25(15) 1454-1462 doi: 10.1080/14786411003752052.
- Dey, S., Pal, C., Nandi, D., Giri, V. S., Zaidlewicz, M., Krzeminski, M., Smentek, L., Hess, B. A., Gawronski, J., Kwit, M., Babu, N. J., Nangia, A., and Jaisankar, P* Lewis Acid-Catalyzed One-Pot, Three-Component Route to Chiral 3,3'-Bipyrroles (2008) Organic Lett. 10(7) 1373 – 1376 DOI: 10.1021/ol800115p
- S. Dey, D. Nandi, P. K. Pradhan, V. S. Giri and P. Jaisankar* Indium trichloride catalyzed efficient one-pot synthesis of highly substituted Furans (2007) Tetrahedron Lett. 48 2573-2575 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2007.02.019
- P. K. Pradhan, S. Dey, V. S. Giri, and P. Jaisankar* InCl3-HMTA as a Methylene Donor: One-Pot Synthesis of Diindolylmethane (DIM) and its Derivatives (2005) Synthesis 36(11) 1779-1782 10.1055/s-2005-869897
- B. Pal, V. S. Giri, and P. Jaisankar*, First Indium Trichloride Catalyzed Self-addition of Indoles: One Pot Synthesis of Indolylindolines (2005) Catalysis Commun. 6 711-715 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catcom.2005.07.003
Sengupta T, Vinayagam J, Singh R, Jaisankar P, Mohanakumar K P.: Plant-Derived Natural Products for Parkinson’s Disease Therapy. The Benefits of Natural Products for Neurodegenerative Diseases: Volume 12 of the series Advances in Neurobiology (2016); 12:415-96. Doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-28383-8_23, published by Springer.
A hand held portable device was developed in my laboratory for quantitative estimation of citral contents in essential oils which will be greatly empowering the farmers.