Arindam Talukdar , Ph.D.
Organic & Medicinal Chemistry
Our lab aims to answer fundamental questions that lie at the interface of chemistry and biology by integrating the concept of organic chemistry, biochemistry and molecular modeling to perform structure-based design and synthesis of novel chemical entity to unravel the molecular mechanism and develop potential treatment for human diseases.
Probing Endosomal Toll-like Receptors (TLRs). TLRs are members of the larger family of evolutionarily conserved pattern recognition receptors which are critical first line of defence for self-nonself discrimination by the host immune response. Aberrant endosomal TLR activation is implicated in autoreactive inflammation in different autoimmune diseases. The goal is to rationally design selective inhibitors for the nucleic acid-recognizing TLRs for devising novel therapeutic strategies in relevant clinical contexts.
Epigenetic modifying enzymes as novel therapeutic targets: The main focus is to perform structure-based design and synthesis of small-molecule regulators of epigenetics modifying enzymes such as histone methyltransferases (HMT) as tools to unravel the complex biology of epigenetics and contribute towards epigenetic-based drugs for the treatment of a number of diseases such as cancer, autoimmunity, diabetes, or neurological disorders.
- Senior Research Scientist (2010-2012), Albany Molecular Research Inc. Singapore
- Post-doctoral Research Associate (2005-2009), Purdue University, USA (Prof. Mark Cushman).
- Post-doctoral Research Scholar (2004-2005), The Ohio State University, USA (Prof. Peng George Wang).
- M.Pharmacy (1997) Medicinal Chemistry, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India (Prof. Tilak Raj Juneja).
Patents & Publications
- Sourav Pal, Barnali Paul, Purbita Bandopadhyay, Nagothy Preethy, Dipika Sarkar, Oindrila Rahaman, Sunny Goon, Swarnali Roy, Dipyaman Ganguly, Arindam Talukdar. Synthesis and characterization of new potent TLR7 antagonists based on analysis of the binding mode using biomolecular simulations. 2021. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 210. 112978-112994. DOI:doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2020.112978.
- Gustavo A Bezerra, Alexander Holenstein, William R Foster, Bing Xie, Kevin G Hicks, Céline Bürer, Seraina Lutz, Ayan Mukherjee, Dipika Sarkar, Debomita Bhattacharya, Jared Rutter, Arindam Talukdar, Peter J Brown, Minkui Luo, Lei Shi, D Sean Froese, Wyatt W Yue. Identification of small molecule allosteric modulators of 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) by targeting its unique regulatory domain. 2021. Biochimie. In Press. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2021.01.007.
- Biswajit Kundu, Dipayan Sarkar, Srijita Paul Chowdhuri, Sourav Pal, Subhendu K. Das, Benu Brata Das and Arindam Talukdar. Development of a metabolically stable topoisomerase I poison as anticancer agent. 2020. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 202. 112551-112578. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2020.112551.
- Ayan Mukherjee, Deblina Raychaudhuri, Bishnu Prasad Sinha, Biswajit Kundu, Mousumi Mitra, Barnali Paul, Purbita Bandopadhyay, Dipyaman Ganguly and Arindam Talukdar. A Chemical Switch for Transforming a Purine Agonist for Toll-like Receptor 7 to a Clinically Relevant Antagonist. 2020. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 63. 4776–4789. DOI: doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.0c00011.
- Ayan Mukherjee, Snehasis Mishra, Naveen Kumar Kotla, Krishnendu Manna, Swarnali Roy, Biswajit Kundu, Debomita Bhattacharya, Krishna Das Saha, and Arindam Talukdar. Semisynthetic Quercetin Derivatives with Potent Antitumor Activity in Colon Carcinoma. 2019. ACS Omega. 4. 7285–7298. DOI: doi.org/10.1021/acsomega.9b00143.
- Biswajit Kundu, Subhendu Kumar Das, Srijita Paul Chowdhuri, Sourav Pal, Dipayan Sarkar, Arijit Ghosh, Ayan Mukherjee, Debomita Bhattacharya, Benu Brata Das, and Arindam Talukdar. Discovery and Mechanistic Study of Tailor-Made Quinoline Derivatives as Topoisomerase 1 Poisons with Potent Anticancer Activity. 2019. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 62. 3428–3446. DOI:doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.8b01938.
- Sourav Pal, Vinay Kumar, Biswajit Kundu, Debomita Bhattacharya, Nagothy Preethy, Mamindla Prashanth Reddy, Arindam Talukdar. Ligand-based Pharmacophore Modeling, Virtual Screening and Molecular Docking Studies for Discovery of Potential Topoisomerase I Inhibitors. 2019. Computational and Structural Biotechnology Journal. 17. 291-310. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.csbj.2019.02.006.
- Barnali Paul, Oindrila Rahaman, Swarnali Roy, Sourav Pal, Sohal Satish, Ayan Mukherjee, Amrit R. Ghosh, Deblina Raychaudhuri, Roopkatha Bhattacharya, Sunny Goon, Dipyaman Ganguly and Arindam Talukdar. Activity-guided Development of Potent and Selective Toll-like Receptor 9 Antagonists. 2018. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 159. 187-205. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2018.09.058.
- Chinky Shiu Chen Liu, Deblina Raychaudhuri, Barnali Paul, Yogaditya Chakrabarty, Amrit Raj Ghosh, Oindrila Rahaman, Arindam Talukdar and Dipyaman Ganguly. Cutting Edge: Piezo1 Mechanosensors Optimize Human T Cell Activation. 2018. Journal of Immunology. 200(4). 1255-1260. DOI: doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1701118.
- Swarnali Roy, Barnali Paul, Ayan Mukherjee, Biswajit Kundu and Arindam Talukdar. Copper-catalyzed selective C–N bond formation with 2-amino, 2-hydroxy and 2-bromo-5-halopyridine. 2017. RSC Advances. 7. 44366-44370. DOI: doi.org/10.1039/C7RA08482J.
- Swarnali Roy, Ayan Mukherjee, Barnali Paul, Oindrila Rahaman, Shounak Roy, Gundaram Maithri, Bandaru Ramya, Sourav Pal, Dipyaman Ganguly and Arindam Talukdar. Design and Development of Benzoxazole Derivatives with Toll-like Receptor 9 Antagonism. 2017. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 134. 334-347. DOI: doi.org/10.1016-j.ejmech.2017.03.086.
- Arindam Talukdar, Y. Zhao, W. Lv, A. Bacher, B. Illarionov, M. Fischer, and Mark Cushman. O-Nucleoside, S-Nucleoside, and N-Nucleoside Probes of Lumazine Synthase and Riboflavin Synthase. 2012. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 77. 6239-6261. DOI: doi.org/10.1021-jo1004313.
- Abdelrahman S. Mayhoub, Arindam Talukdar, and Mark Cushman. A Highly Efficient Oxidation of Benzyl Methyl Ethers with NBS Selectively Affords Either Aromatic Aldehydes or Aromatic Methyl Esters. 2010. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 75(10). 3507-3510. DOI: doi.org/10.1021-jo1004313.
- Arindam Talukdar, Ekaterina Morgunova, Jianxin Duan, Winfried Meining, Lennart Nilsson, Adelbert Bacher, Boris Illarionov, Markus Fischer, Rudolf Ladenstein, Mark Cushman. Virtual Screening, Selection and Development of a Novel Structural Scaffold for Inhibition of Lumazine Synthase. 2010. Bioorganic Medicinal Chemistry. 18. 3518-3534. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2010.03.072.
- Arindam Talukdar, Meghan Breen, Adelbert Bacher, Boris Illarionov, Markus Fischer, Gunda Georg, Qi-Zhuang Ye, and Mark Cushman. Discovery and Development of a Small Molecule Library with Lumazine Synthase Inhibitory Activity. 2009. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 74(15). 5123–5134. DOI:doi.org/10.1021/j0900238q.
- Arindam Talukdar, Boris Illarionov, Adelbert Bacher, Markus Fischer, and Mark Cushman. Synthesis and enzyme inhibitory activity of the S-nucleoside analogue of the ribitylaminopyrimidine substrate of lumazine synthase and product of riboflavin synthase. 2007. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 72. 7167-7175. DOI: doi.org/10.1021/jo0709495.
- Wenlan Chen, Chengfeng Xia, Jinhua Wang, Prakash Thapa, Yusen Li, Arindam Talukdar, Janos Nadas, Wenpeng Zhang, Dapeng Zhou, Peng George Wang. Synthesis and Structure-Activity Relationship Study of Isoglobotrihexosylceramide Analogues. 2007. Journal of Organic Chemistry. 72. 9914-9923. DOI: doi.org/10.1021/jo701539k.
- Ha Young Kim, Arindam Talukdar, and Mark Cushman. Regioselective synthesis of N-b-hydroxyethylaziridines by ring-opening reaction of epoxides with aziridine generated in situ. 2006. Organic Letters. 8(6). 1085-1087. DOI: doi.org/10.1021/c10529703.
- Lizhi Zhu, Arindam Talukdar, Guisheng Zhang, James P. Kedenburg, Peng George Wang. A divergent synthesis of uncommon sugars from furanaldehyde. 2005. Synlett. 10. 1547-1550. DOI: doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-869846.
- Gurjar M. K.; Arindam Talukdar. Synthesis of terminal disaccharide unit of Klebsiella pneumonia. 2004. Tetrahedron. 60. 3267-3271. DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.tet.2004.02.017.
- Arindam Talukdar. Unusual conversion of sugar oximes to sugar nitriles with ruthenium catalysts. 2002. Synthetic Communications. 32(22). 3503.
- Gurjar M. K., Arindam Talukdar. Heck reaction of (S)-N-Cbz-allyl glycine tert-butyl ester with aromatic halides. 2002. Synthesis. 315
- Juneja T. R, Arindam Talukdar*, Gupta R. L. Mutagenicity of Sulfoscanate: a comparative study. 2002. Mutation Res. 518. 155-161.
- T. R, Juneja Arindam Talukdar*, Nimish Mehta, Gupta R. L. Effect of various alkyl and unsaturated substituents on the mutagenicity of some nitrophenyl thioethers. 2001. Mutation Res. 495. 97-102. doi.org/10.1016/s13835718(01)00201-7.
- Gurjar M. K., Sadalapure K., Adhikari S., Sarma B. V. N. B. S., Arindam Talukdar, Chorghade. M. S. Kinetic resolution of aryl glycidyl ethers. 1998. Heterocycles. 48. 1471.
REVIEWS & BOOK CHAPTERS
- Arindam Talukdar, Sourav Pal. Computational Approaches Toward Development of Topoisomerase I Inhibitor: A Clinically Validated Target. 2021. Elsevier. 21. 441-462.
- Arindam Talukdar, Ayan Mukherjee, Dipyaman Ganguly. Small Molecule Modulators of Endo-lysosomal Toll-like Receptors. 2020. Royal Society of Chemistry. 13. 339 – 372.
- Biswajit Kundu, Dipayan Sarkar, Namrata Ray, Arindam Talukdar. Understanding the Riboflavin Biosynthesis Pathway for the Development of Antimicrobial Agents. 2019. Medicinal Research Reviews.
- Luo S., Zhu, L., Arindam Talukdar, Mi, X., Cheng, J-P., Wang P. G. Recent Advances in Rear Earth-Metal Triflate catalyzed Organic Synthesis in Green Chemistry. 2005. Mini-Reviews in Organic Chemistry. 2. 546.
- Arindam Talukdar, Wang P. G. N-Nitroso Compounds”. In Nitric Oxide Donors and its Applications Edited by Wang, P. G.; Cai, T. B.; Taniguchi, N. 2004. Wiley-VCH, Germany.
- Chorghade M. S., Gurjar M. K., Arindam Talukdar. Fascinating Excursions into Chiral Chemistry: An Insider’s Perspective. 2002. CHIMICA OGGI Chemistry Today. 20(10). 20.
- Quinazolinones Derivatives for Treatment of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Preparation And Use Thereof. Application No.: 202011027502. Filling Dt: 29.06.2020.
- Bicycle Topoisomerase I Inhibiting Compounds, Process For Preparation And Use Thereof. Application No.: WO2019229765. Filling Dt: 29.05.2018.
- Purine Based Compounds As Toll-Like Receptor 9 Antagonist. Application No.: WO/2019/092739, US 2020/034706. Filling Dt: 8.10.2017.
- Bicyclic Compound and Use Thereof for Inhibiting SUV39H2. Application No.: PCT/US2016/0051350. Filling Dt: 12.09.2016.
- Blocking toll-like receptor 9 signaling with small molecule antagonist. Application No.: WO 2017/163264A1, US10662177B. Filling Dt: 20.03.2016
- Preparation of 2,5-disubstituted pyrrolidines and tetrahydrothiophenes as leukotrine biosynthesis inhibitors. Application No.: WO 2000001670 A1; EP 1115702. Filling Dt: 22.02.2002.