Chinmay Chowdhury , Ph.D.
Organic & Medicinal Chemistry
Isolation & identification of bioactivity guided extracts, fractions and unique bioactive molecules from Indian medicinal plants
Up scaling & process development for value added natural products
Preparation of analogue library of lead phytomolecules through synthesis
Technology development on novel phytopharmaceutials
Palladium-catalyzed synthesis of novel nitrogen-heterocycles of biological importance.
Our paper in the cover page of the journal
Ph.D., Jadavpur University (1998)
a) University of Kentucky, Lexington, USA (1999-2000)
b) University of California, San Diego, USA (2000-2002)
Patents & Publications
40.A. Mondal, P. Kundu, M. Jash and C. Chowdhury*. “Palladium-catalysed stereoselective synthesis of 4-(diarylmethylidene)-3,4-dihydroisoquinolin-1(2H)-ones: Expedient access to 4-substituted isoquinolin-1(2H)-ones and isoquinolines”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2018, 16, 963-980.
39.M. Jash, B. Das, S. Sen and C. Chowdhury. “Intramolecular Cycloaddition Approach to Fused Pyrazoles: Access to 4,5-Dihydro-2H-pyrazolo[4,3-c]quinolines, 2,8-Dihydroindeno[2,1-c]pyrazoles and 4,5-Dihydro-2H-benzo[e]indazoles”, Synthesis, 2018, 50, 1511-1520.
38. M. Jash, B. Das and C. Chowdhury. “One-Pot Access to Benzo[a]carbazoles via Palladium(II)-Catalyzed Hetero- and Carboannulations”, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2016, 81, 10987-10999.
37. P. Kundu, A. Mondal and C. Chowdhury. “A Palladium-Catalyzed Method for the Synthesis of 2-(α-Styryl)-2,3-dihydroquinazolin-4-ones and 3-(α-Styryl)-3,4-Dihydro-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxide: Access to 2-(α-Styryl)quinazolin-4(3H)-ones and 3-(α-Styryl)-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxides”, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2016, 81, 6596-6608.
36. D. Dutta, B. Chakraborty, A. Sarkar, C. Chowdhury and P. Das. “A potent betulinic acid analogue ascertains an antagonistic mechanism between autophagy and proteasomal degradation pathway in HT-29 cells”, BMC Cancer, 2016, 16: 23 (DOI: 10.1186/s12885 -016-2055-1).
35. P. Kundu, A. Mondal, B. Das and C. Chowdhury. “A straightforward approach for the stereoselective synthesis of (E)-2-aryl/vinylmethylidene-1,4-benzodiazepines and -1,4-benzodiazepin-5-ones through palladium/charcoal-catalyzed reactions”, Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis, 2015, 357, 3737-3752.
34. D. Kumar, B. Das, R. Sen, P. Kundu, A. Manna, A. Sarkar, C. Chowdhury, M. Chatterjee and P. Das “Andrographolide analogue induces apoptosis and autophagy mediated cell death in U937 cells by inhibition of PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway”, PLoS One, 2015, 10(10), e0139657 (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0139657).
33. B. Chakraborty, D. Dutta, S. Mukherjee, S. Das, N. C. Maiti, P. Das and C. Chowdhury. “Synthesis and biological evaluation of a novel betulinic acid derivative as inducer of apoptosis in human colon carcinoma cells (HT-29)”, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2015, 102, 93-105
32. D. Dutta, A. Sarkar, B. Chakraborty, C. Chowdhury and P. Das. “Induction of apoptosis by a potent betulinic acid derivative in human colon carcinoma HT-29 cells”, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, February 2015, vol. 5, issue 2, ISSN 2250-3153.
31. R. Preet, B. Chakraborty, S. Siddharth, P. Mohapatra, D. Das, S. R. Satapathy, S. Das, N. C. Maiti, P. R. Maulik, C. N. Kundu, C. Chowdhury: “Synthesis and biological evaluation of andrographolide analogues as anti-cancer agents”, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2014, 85, 95-106.
30. K. Brahma, B. Das, C. Chowdhury: “A palladium-catalyzed facile and general method for the stereoselective synthesis of (E)-3-arylidene-3,4-dihydro-2H-1,4-benzoxazines and their naphthoxazine analogues”, Tetrahedron, 2014, 70, 5863–5871.
29. B. Das, P. Kundu and C. Chowdhury: “Facile synthesis of 2-arylmethylindoles and 2-vinylic indoles through palladium-catalyzed heteroannulations of 2-(2-propynylaniline and 2-(2-propynyl)tosylanilides”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2014, 12, 741-748 [appeared as cover (inside) article].
28. K. Brahma, B. Achari and C. Chowdhury: “Facile synthesis of [1,2,3]-triazole-fused isoindolines, tetrahydroisoquinolines, benzoazepines and benzoazocines by palladium-copper catalysed heterocyclisation”, Synthesis, 2013, 545-555.
27. R. Roy, D. Kumar, B. Chakraborty, C. Chowdhury and P. Das: “Apoptotic and autophagic effects of Sesbania grandiflora flowers in human leukemic cells”, PLoS One, 2013, 8, e71672.
26. R. Roy, D. Kumar, C. Chowdhury and P. Das: “Autophagic and apoptotic mechanisms of death Induced by Sesbania grandiflora flowers in human leukemic cells” Eur. J. Cancer, 2012, 48, suppl.5, S27.
25. P. Das, D. Kumar, R. Roy, C. Chowdhury, M. Chatterjee: “Andrographolide analogue induces apoptosis and autophagy mediated cell death in U937 cells”, Eur. J. Cancer, 2012, 48, suppl.5, S156.
24. C. Chowdhury, B. Das, S. Mukherjee and B. Achari : “Palladium-catalyzed approach for the general synthesis of (E)-2-arylmethylidene-N-tosylindolines and (E)-2-arylmethylidene-N-tosyl/nosyltetrahydroquinolines: Acess to 2-Substituted Indoles and Quinolines”, Journal of Organic Chemistry , 2012, 77, 5108-5119.
23. K. Brahma, A. K. Sasmal and C. Chowdhury: “An efficient strategy for the general synthesis of 3-aryl substituted pyrazolo[5,1-c][1,4]benzoxazines and pyrazolo[1,5-a][1,4]benzodiazepin-6(4H)-ones”, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry ,2011, 9, 8422-8429.
22. C. Chowdhury, S. Mukherjee, B. Chakraborty and B. Achari: “A rapid and facile method for the general synthesis of 3-aryl substituted 4,5,6,7-tetrahydro[1,2,3]triazolo[1,5-a]pyrazines and their ring fused analogues”, Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 2011, 9, 5856-5862.
21. “An Expedient and Facile Route for the General Synthesis of 3-Aryl Substituted 1,2,3-Triazolo[1,5-a][1,4]benzodiazepin-6-ones and 1,2,3-Triazolo[1,5-a][1,5]benzo- diazocin-7-ones”-Chinmay Chowdhury,* Anup Kumar Sasmal, and Basudeb Achari ; Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2010, 8, 4971-4977.
20. “Synthesis, Cytotoxicity, and Structure-activity Relationship (SAR) Studies of Andrographolide Analogues as Anti-cancer Agent”- Bimolendu Das, Chinmay Chowdhury*, Deepak Kumar, Rupashree Sen, Rajneeta Roy, Padma Das, and Mitali Chatterjee; Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2010, 20, 6947-6950.
19.“Totally Regio- and Stereoselective Synthesis of (E)-3-Arylidene-3,4-dihydro-2H-1,4-benzoxazines under Palladium Catalyst”-Chinmay Chowdhury,* Kaushik Brahma, Sanjukta Mukherjee, and Anup Kumar Sasmal; Tetrahedron Letters, 2010, 51, 2859-2861.
18. “Expedient and Rapid Synthesis of 1,2,3-Triazolo[5,1-c]morpholines through Palladium-copper Catalysis”- Chinmay Chowdhury, Sanjukta Mukherjee, Bimalendu Das, Basudeb Achari; Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2009, 74, 3612-3615.
17. “Efficient Synthesis of [1,2,3]-triazolo[5,1-c][1,4]benzoxazines through Palladium-copper Catalysis”- Chinmay Chowdhury, Anup kumar Sasmal, Pradeep Kumar Dutta; Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50, 2678-2681.
16. “Synthesis of the Diverse Analogues of Oenostacin and their Anti-bacterial Activities”- Vandana Srivastava, Mahendra P. Darokar, A. Fatima, J.K. Kumar, Chinmay Chowdhury, Hari Om Saxsena, Gaurav R. Dwivedi, Kunal Srivastava, Vivek Gupta, S.K. Chattopadhya, Suman P.S. Khanuja; Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2007, 15, 518-525.
15. Palladium-Copper Catalysed Heteroannulation of Acetylenic Compounds: An Expeditious Synthesis of Isoindoline Fused with Triazoles”- Chinmay Chowdhury Sukhendu B. Mandal and Basudeb Achari; Tetrahedron Letters, 2005, 46, 8531-8534.
14. “Perspectives on 1, 4-Benzodioxions, 1, 4-Benzoxazines and Their 2, 3- Dihydro Derivatives”- Basudeb Achari, Sukhendu B. Mandal, Pradeep Dutta and Chinmay Chowdhury ; SYNLETT, 2004, 14, 2449-2467.
B. Papers published during post-doc (UCSD, San Diago, USA):
13. A New Family of Synthetic Diterpenes that Regulates Cytokine Synthesis by Inhibiting lκBα phosphorylation”- Ta-Hsiang Chao, Thanh Lam, Binh G. Vong, Paqui G. Traves, Sonsoles Hortelano, Chinmay Chowdhury, F. Rena Bahjat , G. Kenneth Lloyd, Lyle L Moldawer, Lisardo Bosca, Michael A. Palladino, Emmanuel A. Theodorakis; Chembiochem, 2005, 6, 133-144.
12. “Synthesis of a Novel Family of Diterpenes and their Evaluation as Anti- inflammatory Agents”- Thanh Lam, Taotao Ling, Chinmay Chowdhury, Ta-Hsiang Chao, F. R. Bahjat, G. K. Lloyd, Lyle L. Moldawer, Michael A. Palladino and Emmanuel. A. Theodorakis; Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2003, 13, 3217-3221.
11. “Total Synthesis of Seco-lateriflorone”- Erik. J. Tisdale, Bingh G. Vong, Hongmei Li; Sun Hee Kim, Chinmay Chowdhuryand Emmanuel A. Theodorakis; Tetrahedron 2003, 59, 6873-6887.
10. “Regioselective Synthesis of the Bridged Tricyclic core of Garcinia Natural Products via Intramolecular Aryl Acrylate Cycloadditions”- Erik J. Tisdale, Chinmay Chowdhury, Binh G. Vong, Hongmei Li, and Emmanuel A. Theodorakis; Organic Letters, 2002, 909-912.
9. “Enantioselective Total Synthesis of the Anti-inflammatory Agent (-)-Acanthoic Acid”- Taotao Ling, Chinmay Chowdhury, Bryan A. Kramer, Binh Vong, Michael A. Palladino and Emmanuel A. Theodorakis; Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2001, 26, 8843-8854.
C. Papers published during Ph.D. dissertation:
8. “5-(Acylethnyl)uracils, 5-(Acylethnyl)-2’-deoxyuridines and 5-(Acylethnyl)-1-(2-hydroxyethoxy)methyluracils. Their Synthesis, Antiviral and Cytotoxic Activities”- Nitya G. Kundu, Jyan S. Mahanty, Chinmay Chowdhury, Swapan Dasgupta, Biswajit Das, C. Paul Spears, Jan Balzarini and Erik De Clercq; European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 1999, 389-399.
7. “Studies on Copper (I) Catalysed Cross Coupling Reactions- A Convenient and Facile Method for the Synthesis of Diversely Substituted µ, ß-Acetylenic Ketones”- Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu; Tetrahedron, 1999, 55, 7011-7016.
6. “A Highly Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-N-Arylidine-2,3-dihydro-1,4- Benzoxazines through Palladium-Catalysed Reactions”-Gopeswar Chaudhuri, Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu; SYNLETT, 1998, 1273-1275.
5. “Palladium-Catalyzed Heteroannulation Leading to Heterocyclic Structures with two Hetero Atoms: A Highly Convenient and Facile Method for a Totally Regio- and Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-2,3-Dihydro-2-(ylidiene)-1,4-Benzo- and Naptho[2,3-b]dioxins”-Chinmay Chowdhury, Gopeswar Chaudhuri, Subhdra Guha, Alok K. Mukherjee, and Nitya G. Kundu; Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1998, 63, 1863-1871.
4. “Copper (I) Catalysed Acylation of Terminal Alkynes”- Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu; Tetrahedron Letters, 1996, 37, 7323-7324
3. “A Totally Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-2-Arylidine-1, 4-benzodioxans using Palladium-Copper Catalyst”- Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu; Chemical Communications (Cambridge), 1996, 1067-1068.
2. “A Highly Simplified Approach for the Synthesis of ß-aryl Substituted Conjugated Acetylenic Ketones Meditated through Palladium-Copper Catalysis”- Nitya G. Kundu, Manojit Pal and Chinmay Chowdhury; J .Chem .Res. (S) 1995, 4-5.
1. “A Highly Convenient and General Method for the Synthesis of 1, 4-Disubstituted-1, 3-diynes from Terminal Alkynes through Palladium-Copper Catalyst”- Nitya G. Kundu, Monojit Pal and Chinmay Chowdhury; J. Chem Res. 1993, 432-433.