Chinmay Chowdhury , Ph.D., FAScT
Senior Principal Scientist & HOD
Organic & Medicinal Chemistry
- Palladium-catalyzed synthesis of novel oxygen- and nitrogen-heterocycles of biological interests.
- Isolations & identifications of bioactivity guided extracts, fractions and unique bioactive molecules from Indian medicinal plants.
- Up scaling & process development for value added natural products.
- Preparation of analogue library and nano-formulations of lead phytomolecules.
- Development potent anti-cancer lead compounds.
- Professor, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR).
- Senior Principal Scientist (2015-till date) & Deputy Head of the Department, Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Department, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata.
- Principal Scientist, CSIR-IICB, Kolkata (2009-2015).
- Scientist E1, CSIR- IICB, Kolkata (2006-2009).
- Scientist E1, CIMAP, Lucknow (2004-2006).
- Post-Doctoral Research, University Of California, San Diego, USA (2000-2002).
- Post-Doctoral Research , University Of Kentucky, Lexington, USA (1999-2000).
- Ph.D. (Organic Chemistry) Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata (1991-1998).
- M.Sc. (Chemistry), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur (1989-1991).
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Chemistry, Narendrapur Ramkrishna Mission Residential College (1986-1989).
Honours & Awards
- Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (WAST), 2019.
- Received "Bharat Vikas Award", 2019.
- Life member of Indian Chemical Society.
Grants & Supports
- SERB, Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi.
- Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of West Bengal.
Patents & Publications
- Debasmita Mondal, Gargi Pal and Chinmay Chowdhury*; Palladium(0)-catalysed regioselective cyclisation of 2-amino(tosyl) benzamides/sulphonamides: Stereoselective synthesis of 3-ylidene-[1,4]benzodiazepin-5-ones/benzo[f][1,2,5]thiadiazepine-1,1-dioxides, Chem. Commun. 2021, 57, 5462-5465.
- Amrita Mondal, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Palladium-Catalyzed Synthesis of 1-Vinyltetrahydro-β-carbolines and Aza-spiroindolenines: Access to the Syntheses of 1-Vinyl β-carbolines and Eudistomins Y1 and Y2”, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2021, 86, 3810-3825.
- Sukanya De, Moumita Jash and Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Palladium(II) catalysed cascade strategy for the synthesis of dibenzo[5,6:7,8]cycloocta[1,2-b]indole-10-ols/-10(15H)-ones: Easy access to 1,3,5,7-cyclooctatetraenes (COTs)”, Chem. Commun. 2020, 56, 15659-15662.
- Moumita Jash, Sukanya De, Subhendu Pramanik, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Palladium(II)-Catalyzed Cascade Reactions of Ene-ynes Tethered to Cyano/Aldehyde: Access to Naphtho[1,2-b]furans and Benzo[g]indoles”, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2019, 84, 14, 8959-8975.
- Subhendu Pramanik, Moumita Jash, Debasmita Mondal, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Palladium‐Catalyzed Synthesis of 6H‐Dibenzo[c,h]chromenes and 5,6‐Dihydrobenzo[c]phenanthridines: Application to the Synthesis of Dibenzo[c,h]chromene‐6‐ones, Benzo[c]phenanthridines, and Arnottin I”, Advanced Synthesis and Catalysis, 2019, in press; (doi : 10.1002/adsc.201900833).
- Debasmita Dutta, Brahamacharry Paul, Biswajit Mukherjee, Laboni Mondal, Suparna Sen, Chinmay Chowdhury and Mita Chatterjee Debnath; “Nanoencapsulated betulinic acid analogue distinctively improves colorectal carcinoma in vitro and in vivo” Scientific Reports, 2019, 9:11506 (htps://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-47743-y). (A publication from Nature group of journals).
- Swadesh Sarkar, Priya K. Gopal, Biswajit Chakraborty, Mausumi Paul, Chinmay Chowdhury, Santanu Paul; “14 Deoxy 11,12 Didehydroandrographolide: A Novel Compound Isolated from Andrographis paniculata Nees. Induces Robust Apoptosis in Leukemic Cells”, Pharcognosy Mag., 2019, 15, 135-143.
- Amrita Mondal, Priyanka Kundu, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Palladium-catalysed stereoselective synthesis of 4-(diarylmethylidene)-3,4-dihydroisoquinolin-1(2H)-ones: expedient access to 4-substituted isoquinolin-1(2H)-ones and isoquinolines”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2018, 16, 963-980.
- Moumita Jash, Bimolendu Das, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Intramolecular Cycloaddition Approach to Fused Pyrazoles: Access to 4,5-Dihydro-2H-Pyrazolo[4,3-c]quinolines, 2,8-Dihydro- indeno[2,1-c]pyrazoles and 4,5-Dihydro-2H-benzo[e]indazoles”, Synthesis, 2018, 50, 1511-1520.
- Moumita Jash, Bimolendu Das, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “One-Pot Access to Benzo[a]carbazoles via Palladium(II)-Catalyzed Hetero- and Carboannulations”, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2016, 81, 10987-10999 .
- Priyanka Kundu, Amrita Mondal, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “A Palladium-Catalyzed Method for the Synthesis of 2-(α-Styryl)-2,3-dihydroquinazolin-4-ones and 3-(α-Styryl)-3,4-Dihydro-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxide: Access to 2-(α-Styryl)quinazolin-4(3H)-ones and 3-(α-Styryl)-1,2,4-benzothiadiazine-1,1-dioxides”, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2016, 81, 6596-6608 .
- Debasmita Dutta, Biswajit Chakraborty, Ankita Sarkar, Chinmay Chowdhury, Padma Das; “A potent betulinic acid analogue ascertains an antagonistic mechanism between autophagy and proteasomal degradation pathway in HT-29 cells”; BMC Cancer, 2016, 16: 23 (DOI: 10.1186/s12885 -016-2055-1).
- Priyanka Kundu, Amrita Mondal, Bimolendu Das, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “A Straightforward Approach for the stereoselective synthesis of (E)-2-aryl/vinylmethylidene-1,4-benzodiazepines and 1,4-benzodiazepin-5-ones through palladium/charcoal-catalyzed reactions”- Advanced Synthesis and Catalysis, 2015, 357, 3737-3752.
- Deepak Kumar, Bimolendu Das, Rupashree Sen, Priyanka Kundu, Alak Manna, Avijit Sarkar, Chinmay Chowdhury, Mitali Chatterjee, Padma Das; “Andrographolide analogue induces apoptosis and autophagy mediated cell death in U937 cells by inhibition of PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway”, PLoS One, 2015, 10(10): e0139657 (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0139657).
- Biswajit Chakraborty, Deblina Dutta, Sanjukta Mukherjee, Supriya Das, Nukul C. Maiti, Padma Das* and Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Synthesis and biological evaluation of a novel betulinic acid derivative as inducer of apoptosis in human colon carcinoma cells (HT-29)” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2015, 102, 93-105.
- Debasmita Dutta, Ankita Sarkar, Biswajit Chakraborty, Chinmay Chowdhury, Padma Das; “Induction of apoptosis by a potent betulinic acid derivative in human colon carcinoma HT-29 cells”, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2015, vol. 5, issue 2, ISSN 2250-3153.
- Ranjan Preet, Biswajit Chakraborty, Sumit Siddharth, Purusottam Mohapatra, Dipon Das, Shakti Ranjan Satapathy, Supriya Das, Nakul C. Maiti, Prakas R. Maulik, Chanakya Nath Kundu, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Synthesis and biological evaluation of andrographolide analogues as anti-cancer agents,” Eurpopean Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2014, 85, 95-106.
- Kaushik Brahma, Bimolendu Das, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “A palladium catalyzed facile and general method for the stereoselective synthesis of (E)-3-arylidene-3,4-dihydro-2H-1,4-benzoxazines and their naphthoxazine analogues”, Tetrahedron, 2014, 70, 5863-5871.
- Bimolendu Das, Priyanka Kundu, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Facile synthesis of 2-arylmethylindoles and 2-vinylic indoles through palladium-catalyzed heteroannulations of 2-(2-propynyl)aniline and 2-(2-propynyl)tosylanilides”-, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2014, 12, 741-748 (appeared as cover page of the journal).
- Rajneeta Roy, Deepak Kumar, Biswajit Chakraborty, Chinmay Chowdhury, Padma Das; “Apoptotic and autophagic effects of Sesbania grandiflora flowers in human leukemic cells”- Plos One, 2013 8, e71672.
- Kaushik Brahma, Basudeb Achari, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “An efficient, general method for the synthesis of 1, 2, 3-triazole-fused heterocycles through palladium-catalyzed reactions”, Synthesis, 2013, 545-555.
- Rajneeta Roy, Deepak Kumar, Chinmay Chowdhury, Padma Das; “Autophagic and apoptotic mechanisms of death induced by Sesbania grandiflora flowers in human leukemic cells”, European Journal of Cancer, 2012, 48, S-27.
- Padma das, Deepak kumar, Chinmay Chowdhury, Mitali Chatterjee; “Andrographolide Analogue Induces Apoptosis and Autophagy mediated cell death in U937 cells”, European Journal of Cancer, 2012, 48, S-156.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Bimolendu Das, Sanjukta Mukherjee, Basudeb Achari; “Palladium Catalyzed Approach for the General Synthesis of (E)-2-Arylmethylidene-N-tosyl-indolines and (E)-2-Arylmethylidene-N-tosyl/nosyl-tetrahydroquinolines: Access to 2-Substituted Indoles and Quinolines” Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012, 77, 5108-5119.
- Kaushik Brahma, Anup kumar Sasmal, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “An efficient strategy for the general synthesis of 3-aryl substituted pyrazolo[5,1-c][1,4]benzoxazines and pyrazolo[1,5-a][1,4]benzodiaze- pin-6(4H)-ones”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2011, 9, 8422-8429.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Sanjukta Mukherjee, Biswajit Chakraborty and Basudeb Achari; “A Rapid and Facile Method For the General Synthesis of 3-Aryl Substituted 4,5,6,7-Tetrahydro-[1,2,3]triazolo[1,5-a]pyrazines and Their Ring Fused Analogues”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2011, 5856-5862.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Anup Kumar Sasmal, and Basudeb Achari; “An Expedient and Facile Route for the General Synthesis of 3-Aryl Substituted 1,2,3-Triazolo[1,5-a][1,4]benzodiazepin-6-ones and 1,2,3-Triazolo[1,5-a][1,5]benzodiazocin-7-ones”, Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 2010, 8, 4971-4977.
- Bimolendu Das, Chinmay Chowdhury*, Deepak Kumar, Rupashree Sen, Rajneeta Roy, Padma Das, and Mitali Chatterjee; “Synthesis, Cytotoxicity, and Structure-activity Relationship (SAR) Studies of Andrographolide Analogues as Anti-cancer Agent”, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2010, 20, 6947-6950.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Kaushik Brahma, Sanjukta Mukherjee, and Anup Kumar Sasmal; “Totally Regio- and Stereoselective Synthesis of (E)-3-Arylidene-3,4-dihydro-2H-1,4-benzoxazines under Palladium Catalyst”, Tetrahedron Letters, 2010, 51, 2859-2861.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Sanjukta Mukherjee, Bimalendu Das, Basudeb Achari; “Expedient and Rapid Synthesis of 1,2,3-Triazolo[5,1-c]morpholines through Palladium-copper Catalysis” Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2009, 74, 3612-3615.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Anup kumar Sasmal, Pradeep Kumar Dutta; “Efficient Synthesis of [1,2,3]-triazolo[5,1-c][1,4]benzoxazines through Palladium-copper Catalysis” Tetrahedron Letters, 2009, 50, 2678-2681.
- Vandana Srivastava, Mahendra P. Darokar, A. Fatima, J.K. Kumar, Chinmay Chowdhury, Hari Om Saxsena, Gaurav R. Dwivedi, Kunal Srivastava, Vivek Gupta, S.K. Chattopadhya, Suman P.S. Khanuja; “Synthesis of the Diverse Analogues of Oenostacin and their Anti-bacterial Activities” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 2007, 15, 518-525.
- Chinmay Chowdhury*, Sukhendu B. Mandal, Basudeb Achari; “Palladium-Copper Catalysed Heteroannulation of Acetylenic Compounds: An Expeditious Synthesis of Isoindoline Fused with Triazoles, Tetrahedron Letters, 2005, 46, 8531-8534.
- Basudeb Achari, Sukhendu B. Mandal, Pradeep Dutta, Chinmay Chowdhury*; “Perspectives on 1, 4-Benzodioxions, 1, 4-Benzoxazines and Their 2, 3-Dihydro Derivatives”, SYNLETT, 2004, 14, 2449-2467.
- Ta-Hsiang Chao, Thanh Lam, Binh G. Vong, Paqui G. Traves, Sonsoles Hortelano, Chinmay Chowdhury, F. Rena Bahjat , G. Kenneth Lloyd, Lyle L Moldawer, Lisardo Bosca, Michael A. Palladino, Emmanuel A. Theodorakis*; “A New Family of Synthetic Diterpenes that Regulates Cytokine Synthesis by Inhibiting lκBα phosphorylation, Chembiochem, 2005, 6, 133-144.
- Thanh Lam, Taotao Ling, Chinmay Chowdhury, Ta-Hsiang Chao, F. R. Bahjat, G. K. Lloyd, Lyle L. Moldawer, Michael A. Palladino and Emmanuel. A. Theodorakis*; “Synthesis of a Novel Family of Diterpenes and their Evaluation as Anti-inflammatory Agents”, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2003, 13, 3217-3221.
- Erik. J. Tisdale, Bingh G. Vong, Hongmei Li; Sun Hee Kim, Chinmay Chowdhury and Emmanuel A. Theodorakis*; “Total Synthesis of Seco-lateriflorone”, Tetrahedron, 2003, 59, 6873-6887.
- Erik J. Tisdale, Chinmay Chowdhury, Binh G. Vong, Hongmei Li, and Emmanuel A. Theodorakis*; Regioselective Synthesis of the Bridged Tricyclic core of Garcinia Natural Products via Intramolecular Aryl Acrylate Cycloadditions, Organic Letters, 2002, 909-912.
- Taotao Ling, Chinmay Chowdhury, Bryan A. Kramer, Binh Vong, Michael A. Palladino and Emmanuel A. Theodorakis*; “Enantioselective Total Synthesis of the Anti-inflammatory Agent (-)-Acanthoic Acid, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2001, 26, 8843-8854.
- Nitya G. Kundu*, Jyan S. Mahanty, Chinmay Chowdhury, Swapan Dasgupta, Biswajit Das, C. Paul Spears, Jan Balzarini and Erik De Clercq; “5-(Acylethnyl)uracils, 5-(Acylethnyl)-2’-deoxyuridines and 5-(Acylethnyl)-1-(2-hydroxyethoxy)methyluracils. Their Synthesis, Antiviral and Cytotoxic Activities European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 1999, 389-399.
- Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu*; “Studies on Copper (I) Catalysed Cross Coupling Reactions- A Convenient and Facile Method for the Synthesis of Diversely Substituted , ß-Acetylenic Ketones Tetrahedron, 1999, 55, 7011-7016.
- Gopeswar Chaudhuri, Chinmay Chowdhury, Nitya G. Kundu*; “A Highly Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-N-Arylidine-2,3-dihydro-1,4- Benzoxazines through Palladium-Catalysed Reactions” SYNLETT, 1998, 1273-1275.
- Chinmay Chowdhury, Gopeswar Chaudhuri, Subhdra Guha, Alok K. Mukherjee, and Nitya G. Kundu*; “Palladium-Catalyzed Heteroannulation Leading to Heterocyclic Structures with two Hetero Atoms: A Highly Convenient and Facile Method for a Totally Regio- and Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-2,3-Dihydro-2-(ylidiene)-1,4-Benzo- and Naptho[2,3-b]dioxins” Journal of Organic Chemistry, 1998, 63, 1863-1871.
- Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu*; “Copper (I) Catalysed Acylation of Terminal Alkynes” Tetrahedron Letters, 1996, 37, 7323-7324.
- Chinmay Chowdhury and Nitya G. Kundu*; “A Totally Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-2-Arylidine-1, 4-benzodioxans using Palladium-Copper Catalyst”, Chemical Communications, 1996, 1067-1068.
- Nitya G. Kundu*, Manojit Pal and Chinmay Chowdhury; “A Highly Simplified Approach for the Synthesis of ß-aryl Substituted Conjugated Acetylenic Ketones Meditated through Palladium-Copper Catalysis”, J. Chem .Res. (S), 1995, 4-5.
- Nitya G. Kundu*, Monojit Pal and Chinmay Chowdhury; “A Highly Convenient and General Method for the Synthesis of 1, 4-Disubstituted-1, 3-diynes from Terminal Alkynes through Palladium-Copper Catalyst”, J. Chem Res., 1993, 432-433.