Dipyaman Ganguly , M.B.B.S, Ph.D., Ph.D.
Principal Scientist & Associate Professor (AcSIR)
Cancer Biology & Inflammatory Disorder
Innate immune response; dendritic cell biology; autoimmune diseases; metabolic disorders; mechanosensing in immune cells; COVID-19; gut microbiome.
Ours is a human immunology laboratory. Our research broadly concentrates on role of innate immune axis in the crossroads of sterile and non-sterile inflammatory contexts in humans (Diabetes, 2016; Trends Immunol, 2018; J Immunol, 2019; Front Immunol, 2019; Front Immunol, 2021). We are inspired by a holobiotic view of the immune system, wherein a multidimensional regulatory model is envisaged to influence systemic immune functions, which include genome, epigenome, microbiome and metabolome.
Dendritic cells (DCs) are the innate immune cells with most of the decision-making responsibilities for an ensuing immune response or tolerance. We try to decipher the governing principles of dendritic cell functions and dysfunctions in different clinical contexts. Our major focus is on a specific subset of dendritic cells called the plasmacytoid dendritic cells (J Immunol, 2019; Front Immunol, 2019).
Our laboratory is also interested in how mechanical cues can modulate immune function in different immune cells, in terms of their migration, activation and other cell biological phenomena (J Immunol, 2018; Crit Rev Immunol, 2020).
Our research interest in the interface between infections and systemic inflammation has also led to our new-found interest in COVID-19 pathogenesis since 2020 (Front Immunol, 2020; J Infect Dis, 2021).
We also collaborate with medicinal chemists to develop small molecule lead molecules that can target different innate immune molecules for potential therapeutic usage (Eur J Med Chem, 2020; J Med Chem, 2019; Eur J Med Chem, 2018; Eur J Med Chem; 2017).
- PhD in Immunology and Biomedical Science, 2010, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA.
- PhD in Biotechnology, 2006, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, India.
- MBBS, 2002, Medical College & Hospitals, Calcutta, India.
Honours & Awards
- 2019- Merck Young Scientist Award in Life Sciences, from Merck, India.
- 2019- CDRI Award for Excellence in Drug Research in Life Sciences, from Central Drug Research Institute, India.
- 2017- National Bioscience Award for Career Development, from Dept. Of Biotechnology, Govt. of India
- 2017- Swarnajayanti Fellowship in Life Sciences, from Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India.
- 2017- NASI Scopus Young Scientist Award in Medicine, from National Academy of Science India and Elsevier.
- 2016- Invited to deliver Plenary lecture in the 14th International Symposium on Dendritic cells, Shanghai, China.
- 2015- Invited to Overseas Outstanding Young Scholars Forum, Sun Yat-sen University & Zhongshan Medical School, Guangzhou, China.
- 2011- Ramanujan Fellowship, Dept. of Science & Technology, Govt. of India.
- 2011- Lupus Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship from the S.L.E. Foundation, New York.
- 2009- Keystone Symposium Scholarship.
- 2007- Vivian L. Smith Outstanding Young Immunologist Award from the Center for Cancer Immunology Research, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA.
Grants & Supports
- CEFIPRA Indo-French Collaborative Grant (Collaborators: Patrick Blanco & Vanja Sisirak, University of Bordeauex), 2021-2024
- CSIR Intramural (MLP129), Convalescent Plasma Therapy Trial in COVID-19, 2020
- Indo-Australian Strategic Fund, with Dr. Arindam Talukdar (Collaborators: Jonathan Bael, Monash University; Malcolm McConville, University of Melbourne), 2017-2021
- Swarnajayanti Fellowship, from DST, 2017-2022
- Ramanujan Fellowship, from SERB, 2013-2018
Patents & Publications
- Inhibitors of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase and nitric oxide.
- US Patent 9290473, 2016.
- EP Patent 2385934.
- Blocking toll-like receptor 9 signalling using small molecule antagonists.
- Indian Patent Application No. 201611009670, March 21, 2016.
- International Patent Application No. PCT/IN/2017/050103, March 21, 2017.
- Purine derivatives as toll-like receptor 9 antagonists.
- Provisional Patent Application CSIR Ref No. 0034NF2017, 2017.
- Ferriere A, Santa P, Garreau A, Bandopadhyay P, Blanco P, Ganguly D, Sisirak V. Self-Nucleic Acid Sensing: A Novel Crucial Pathway Involved in Obesity-Mediated Metaflammation and Metabolic Syndrome. Frontiers in Immunology. 2021 Jan 26;11:624256.
- Bandopadhyay P, Rozario R, Lahiri A, Sarif J, Ray Y, Paul SR, Roy R, Maiti R, Chaudhuri K, Bagchi S, Maiti A, Perwez MM, Sharma Sarkar B, Roy D, Chakraborty R, Vasudevan JS, Sharma S, Biswas D, Maiti C, Saha B, Bhattacharya P, Pandey R, Chatterjee S, Paul S, Ganguly D*. Nature and dimensions of the systemic hyper-inflammation and its attenuation by convalescent plasma in severe COVID-19. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2021 Jan 12:jiab010.
- Pal S, Paul B, Bandopadhyay P, Preethy N, Sarkar D, Rahaman O, Roy S, Ganguly D*, Talukdar A*. Synthesis and Characterization of New Potent TLR7 Antagonists Based on Analysis of the Binding Mode using Biomolecular Simulations. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2020. In press.
- Shah VK, Firmal P, Alam A, Ganguly D, Chattopadhyay S*. Overview of Immune Response During SARS-CoV-2 Infection: Lessons From the Past. Frontiers in Immunology. 2020 Aug 7;11:1949.
- Mukherjee A#, Raychaudhuri D#, Sinha BP#, Kundu B, Mitra M, Paul B, Bandopadhyay P, Ganguly D*, Talukdar A*. A chemical switch for transforming a purine agonist for toll-like receptor 7 to a clinically relevant antagonist. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2020 May 14;63(9):4776-4789.
- Roy Chattopadhyay N, Chatterjee K, Tiwari N, Chakrabarti S, Sahu SK, Roy SD, Ghosh A, Reddy R, Das P, Mal S, Karnar BB, Das AK, Tsering S, Riba K, Puii Z, Zomawia E, Singh YI, Suryawanshi AR, Kumar A, Ganguly D, Goswami C, Choudhuri T*. TLR9 Polymorphisms Might Contribute to the Ethnicity Bias for EBV-Infected Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. iScience. 2020 March 27; 23(3):100937. doi: 10.1016/j.isci.2020.100937.
- Raychaudhuri D*, Duttagupta P, Liu CSC, Sarif J, Ghosh AR, Rahaman O, Ganguly D*. Role of Ca2+ in toll-like receptor 9 activation in human plasmacytoid dendritic cells. Cytokine. 2019 Aug 27;125:154822. doi: 10.1016/j.cyto.2019.154822.
- Raychaudhuri D, Bhattacharya R, Sinha BP, Liu CSC, Ghosh AR, Rahaman O, Bandopadhyay P, Sarif J, D'Rozario R, Paul S, Das A, Sarkar DK, Chattopadhyay S, Ganguly D*. Lactate Induces Pro-tumor Reprogramming in Intratumoral Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells. Frontiers in Immunology. 2019 Aug 7;10:1878. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.01878.
- Liu CSC, Ganguly D*. Mechanical Cues for T Cell Activation: Role of Piezo1 Mechanosensors. Critical Reviews in Immunology 2019. Epub. DOI: 10.1615/CritRevImmunol.2019029595
- Rahaman O, Bhattacharya R, Liu CSC, Raychaudhuri D, Ghosh AR, Bandopadhyay P, Pal S, Goswami RP, Sircar G, Ghosh P, Ganguly D*. Cutting Edge: Dysregulated endocannabinoid-rheostat for plasmacytoid dendritic cell activation in a systemic lupus endophenotype. Journal of Immunology, 2019 Mar 15;202(6):1674-1679.
- Paul B#, Rahaman O#, Roy S, Pal S, Satish S, Mukherjee A, Ghosh AR, Raychaudhuri D, Bhattacharya R, Goon S, Ganguly D*, Talukdar A*. Activity-guided development of potent and selective toll-like receptor 9 antagonists. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2018 Nov 5;159:187-205.
- Liu CSC, Raychaudhuri D, Paul B, Chakrabarty Y, Ghosh AR, Rahaman O, Talukdar A, Ganguly D*. Cutting Edge: Piezo1 mechanosensors optimize human T cell activation. Journal of Immunology, 2018 Feb 15;200(4):1255-1260.
- Ganguly D*. Do type I interferons link systemic autoimmunities and metabolic syndrome in a pathogenetic continuum? Trends in Immunology, 2018 Jan;39(1):28-43.
- Nargis T, Kumar K, Ghosh AR, Sharma A, Rudra D, Sen D, Chakrabarti S, Mukhopadhyay S, Ganguly D*, Chakrabarti P*. KLK5 induces shedding of DPP4 from circulatory Th17 cells in Type 2 Diabetes. Molecular Metabolism, 2017 Nov;6(11):1529-1539.
- Roy S, Mukherjee A, Paul B, Rahaman O, Roy S, Maithri G, Ramya B, Pal S, Ganguly D*, Talukdar A*. Design and development of benzoxazole derivatives with toll-like receptor 9 antagonism. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2017 Jul 7;134:334-347. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.03.086.
- Ghosh AR, Bhattacharya R, Bhattacharya S, Nargis T, Rahaman O, Duttagupta P, Raychaudhuri D, Chen Liu CS, Roy S, Ghosh P, Khanna S, Chaudhuri T, Tantia O, Haak S, Bandyopadhyay S, Mukhopadhyay S, Chakrabarti P, Ganguly D*. Adipose Recruitment and Activation of Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells Fuel Metaflammation. Diabetes. 2016 Aug 25. 65 (11): 3440-3452.
- Meller S, Di Domizio J, Voo KS, Friedrich HC, Chamilos G, Ganguly D, Conrad C, Gregorio J, Le Roy D, Roger T, Ladbury JE, Homey B, Watowich S, Modlin RL, Kontoyiannis DP, Liu YJ, Arold ST, Gilliet M*. TH17 cells promote microbial killing and innate immune sensing of DNA via interleukin 26. Nature Immunology. 2015 Sep;16(9):970-9.
- Lande R#, Chamilos G#, Ganguly D#, Demaria O, Frasca L, Durr S, Conrad C, Schröder J, Gilliet M*. Cationic antimicrobial peptides in psoriatic skin cooperate to break innate tolerance to self-DNA. European Journal of Immunology. 2015 Jan;45(1):203-13. doi: 10.1002/eji.201344277.
- Sisirak V#, Ganguly D#, Lewis KL, Couillault C, Tanaka L, Bolland S, D’Agati V, Elkone KB, Reizis B (#equal contribution). Genetic evidence for the role of plasmacytoid dendritic cells in systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2014. Sep 22;211(10):1969-76.
- Ganguly D, Haak S, Sisirak V, Reizis B*. Role of dendritic cells in autoimmunity. Nature Reviews Immunology. 2013 Aug;13(8):566-77.
- Di Domizio J, Dorta-Estremera S, Gagea M, Ganguly D, Meller S, Li P, Zhao B, Tan FK, Bi L, Gilliet M, Cao W*. Nucleic acid-containing amyloid fibrils potently induce type I interferon and stimulate systemic autoimmunity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Sep 4;109(36):14550-5.
- Chakraborty JB, Mahato SK, Joshi K, Shinde V, Rakshit S, Biswas N, Choudhury Mukherjee I, Mandal L, Ganguly D, Chowdhury AA, Chaudhuri J, Paul K, Pal BC, Vinayagam J, Pal C, Manna A, Jaisankar P, Chaudhuri U, Konar A, Roy S, Bandyopadhyay S*. Hydroxychavicol, a Piper betle leaf component, induces apoptosis of CML cells through mitochondrial reactive oxygen species-dependent JNK and endothelial nitric oxide synthase activation and overrides imatinib resistance. Cancer Science. 2012 Jan;103(1):88-99. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.02107.x.
- Lande R, Ganguly D, Facchinetti V, Frasca L, Conrad C, Gregorio J, Meller S, Chamilos G, Sebasigari R, Riccieri V, Bassett R, Amuro H, Fukuhara S, Ito T, Liu YJ, Gilliet M*. Neutrophils activate plasmacytoid dendritic cells by releasing self-DNA-peptide complexes in systemic lupus erythematosus. Science Translational Medicine. 2011 Mar 9;3(73):73ra19. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3001180.
- Chamilos G, Ganguly D, Lande R, Gregorio J, Meller S, Goldman WE, Gilliet M, Kontoyiannis DP*. Generation of IL-23 producing dendritic cells (DCs) by airborne fungi regulates fungal pathogenicity via the induction of T(H)-17 responses. PLoS One. 2010 Sep 23;5(9):e12955. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0012955.
- Ganguly D, Chamilos G, Lande R, Gregorio J, Meller S, Facchinetti V, Homey B, Barrat FJ, Zal T, Gilliet M. Self-RNA-antimicrobial peptide complexes activate human dendritic cells through TLR7 and TLR8. Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2009 Aug 31;206(9):1983-94. doi: 10.1084/jem.20090480.
- Rakshit S, Bagchi J, Mandal L, Paul K, Ganguly D, Bhattacharjee S, Ghosh M, Biswas N, Chaudhuri U, Bandyopadhyay S*. N-acetyl cysteine enhances imatinib-induced apoptosis of Bcr-Abl+ cells by endothelial nitric oxide synthase-mediated production of nitric oxide. Apoptosis. 2009 Mar;14(3):298-308. doi: 10.1007/s10495-008-0305-7.
- Pal C*, Ganguly D, Paul K, Pal S. Dendritic cells and antigen trapping technology--a revolution in vaccine/immunotherapy strategy. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2007 Jun;45(6):491-504.
- Ganguly D, Paul K, Bagchi J, Rakshit S, Mandal L, Bandyopadhyay G, Bandyopadhyay S*. Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor drives monocytes to CD14low CD83+ DCSIGN- interleukin-10-producing myeloid cells with differential effects on T-cell subsets. Immunology. 2007 Aug;121(4):499-507.
- Ghosh M, Mandal L, Maitra S, Rakshit S, Paul K, Bagchi J, Ganguly D, Pal C, Bandyopadhyay S*. Leishmania donovani infection of human myeloid dendritic cells leads to a Th1 response in CD4+ T cells from healthy donors and patients with kala-azar. Journal of Infectious Disease. 2006 Aug 1;194(3):294-301.
- Sharma M, Batra J, Mabalirajan U, Goswami S, Ganguly D, Lahkar B, Bhatia NK, Kumar A, Ghosh B*. Suggestive evidence of association of C-159T functional polymorphism of the CD14 gene with atopic asthma in northern and northwestern Indian populations. Immunogenetics. 2004 Oct;56(7):544-7.
- Ray Y*, Paul SR, Bandopadhyay P, D’Rozario R, Sarif J, Lahiri A, Bhowmik D, Vasudevan JS, Maurya R, Kanakan A, Sharma S, Kumar M, Singh P, Roy R, Chaudhury K, Maiti R, Bagchi S, Maiti A, Perwez MM, Mondal A, Tewari A, Mandal S, Roy A, Saha M, Biswas D, Maiti C, Chakraborty S, Sharma Sarkar B, Haldar A, Saha B, Sengupta S, Pandey R, Chatterjee S, Bhattacharya P, Paul S, Ganguly D*. Clinical and immunological benefits of convalescent plasma therapy in severe COVID-19: insights from a single center open label randomised control trial. medRxiv November 2020. Doi: 10.1101/2020.11.25.20237883
- Bandopadhyay P, D'Rozario R, Lahiri A, Sarif J, Ray Y, Paul SP, Roy R, Maiti R, Chaudhuri K, Bagchi S, Maiti A, Parwez MM, Sharma Sarkar B, Roy D, Chakraborty R, Vasudevan JS, Sharma S, Biswas D, Maiti C, Saha B, Bhattacharya P, Pandey R, Chatterjee S, Paul S*, Ganguly D*. Nature and dimensions of the cytokine storm and its attenuation by convalescent plasma in severe COVID-19. medRxiv September 2020. Doi: 10.1101/2020.09.21.20199109
- Raychaudhuri D, Lahiri A, Ray Y, Paul S*, Ganguly D*. Lung epithelial response to SARS-CoV2 and diabetes. Authorea May 2020. Doi: 10.22541/au.159050897.79923734
- Mukhopadhyay S, Dutta D, Ganguly D. Psoriasis and Diabetes: An association likely missed. Book chapter in 'Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis: Pathophysiology and Therapeutic Interventions' 1st edition 2018, Taylor & Francis.
- Mukhopadhyay S, Dutta D, Ganguly D. Lipid induced insulin resistance: Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Implications. Book chapter in ‘Nutritional and Therapeutic Interventions for Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome' 2nd edition 2018, Elsevier.
- Talukdar A, Ganguly D. Small Molecule Inhibitors of Toll-like Receptors. Book chapter in ‘Protein–Protein and Protein–Nucleic Acid Interaction Regulators; Drug Discovery Series’ 1st edition 2020, Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Ghosh AR, Bandopadhyay P, Ganguly D. Type I Interferons in Metabolic Syndrome. Book chapter in ‘Metabolic Syndrome: From mechanisms to interventions’ 1st edition in press, Elsevier.