Partha Chakrabarti , M.B.B.S., M.D., Ph.D.
Cell Biology & Physiology
Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes, Obesity, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), cancer metabolism.
The overall theme of Metabolic Diseases Laboratory is understanding the molecular basis of Metabolic Syndrome with disparate clinical manifestations including obesity, type 2 diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and even certain types of cancer. Our interests extend from clinical inquiry to molecular underpinnings of these diseases and we approach them both at biochemical and physiological levels. To this end we work with genes, proteins, cells, mice and human patients.
Currently we are working on the following broad aspects in the domain of Metabolic Diseases –
- Mechanisms of hepatic lipid turnover and its implication in NAFLD
- Linking metabolic derangements to sterile inflammation
- Impact of reprogramming in cancer cell metabolism
- Identification of pathogenetic events for developing metabolic syndrome in metabolically unhealthy non-obese (MUNO) subjects.
- PhD Cell and Molecular Biology, Boston University School of Medicine, USA
- MD Biochemistry (Doctor of Medicine), Banaras Hindu University, India
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery), Calcutta Medical College, University of Calcutta, India
Honours & Awards
- Henry J Russek Student Achievement Award for the best graduate research (1st prize) 2009. Boston University.
- Myrna and Carl Franzblau Student Travel Awards, 2009. Boston University.
- First prize in MD Biochemistry, Banaras Hindu University, 2005
- Brig. Ramesh Sinha Memorial Certificate and Gold Medal award for best scientific paper presentation. Association of Medical Biochemist of India conference, 2003.
Patents & Publications
- Banerjee I, De M, Dey G, Bharti R, Chattopadhyay S, Ali N, Chakrabarti P, Reis RL, Kundu SC, Mandal M. A peptide-modified solid lipid nanoparticle formulation of paclitaxel modulates immunity and outperforms dacarbazine in a murine melanoma model. (2019) Biomater Sci. (Accepted)
- Palit S, Mukherjee S, Niyogi S, Banerjee A, Patra D, Chakraborty A, Chakrabarti S, Chakrabarti P*, Dutta S*. Quinoline-glycomimetic conjugates reducing lipogenesis and lipid accumulation in hepatocytes. (2018) ChemBiochem (Accepted)
- Adak A, Das D, Niyogi S, Challa N, Ray D, Chakrabarti P. Inflammasome activation in Kupffer cells confers a protective response in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis through pigment epithelium–derived factor expression. (2018) FASEB J. (Accepted)
- Khan MW, Layden BT, Chakrabarti P. Inhibition of mTOR complexes protects cancer cells from glutamine starvation induced cell death by restoring Akt stability.(2018) Biochim Biophys Acta (BBA). 17; 1864(6 Pt A):2040-2052.
- Nargis T, Kumar K, Raj Ghosh AR, Sharma A, Rudra D, Sen D, Chakrabarti S, Mukhopadhyay S, Ganguly D, Chakrabarti P. KLK5 induces shedding of DPP4 from circulatory Th17 cells in type 2 diabetes. (2017) Mol Metab. 6(11):1529-1539 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmet.2017.09.004 (Featured in Molecular Metabolism, Vol 6, No 11, November, 2017)
- Basu M, Sengupta I, Khan MW, Srivastava DK, Chakrabarti P, Roy S, Das C. Dual histone reader ZMYND8 inhibits cancer cell invasion by positively regulating epithelial genes (2017) Biochem J. 474(11):1919-1934. doi: 10.1042/BCJ20170223.
- Basu M, Khan MW, Chakrabarti P, Das C. Chromatin reader ZMYND8 is a key target of all trans retinoic acid-mediated inhibition of cancer cell proliferation. (2017) Biochim Biophys Acta (BBA). 1860: 450–459 doi: 10.1016/j.bbagrm.2017.02.004
- Ghosh M, Niyogi S, Bhattacharyya M, Adak M, Nayak DK, Chakrabarti S, Chakrabarti P. Ubiquitin Ligase COP1 Controls Hepatic Fat Metabolism by Targeting ATGL for Degradation. (2016) Diabetes. 65(12):3561-3572
- Ghosh AR, Bhattacharya R, Bhattacharya S, Nargis T, Rahaman O, Duttagupta P, Raychaudhuri D, Chen Liu CS, Roy S, Ghosh P, Khanna S, Chaudhuri T, Tantia O, Haak S, Bandyopadhyay S, Mukhopadhyay S, Chakrabarti P, Ganguly D. Adipose Recruitment and Activation of Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells Fuel Metaflammation. (2016) Diabetes. 65(11):3440-3452.
- Biswas D, Ghosh M, Kumar S and Chakrabarti P *. PPARα-ATGL pathway improves muscle mitochondrial metabolism: implication in aging. (2016) FASEB J. 30(11):3822-3834 doi: 10.1096/fj.201600571RR.
- Khan MW, Biswas D, Ghosh M, Mandloi S, Chakrabarti S and Chakrabarti P*. mTORC2 controls cancer cell survival by modulating gluconeogenesis. (2015) Cell Death Discovery 1, 15016; doi:10.1038/cddiscovery.2015.16
- Singh M, Shin YK, Yang X, Zehr B, Chakrabarti P, Kandror KV. 4E-BPs Control Fat Storage by Regulating the Expression of Egr1 and ATGL. (2015) J Biol Chem. 290 (28):17331-8. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M114.631895.
- Somnath Paul, Nilanjana Banerjee, Aditi Chatterjee, Tanmoy J. Sau, Jayanta K. Das, Prafulla K. Mishra, Partha Chakrabarti, Arun Bandyopadhyay and Ashok K. Giri. Arsenic-induced promoter hypomethylation and over-expression of ERCC2 reduces DNA repair capacity in humans by non-disjunction of the ERCC2-Cdk7 complex. (2014) Metallomics, 6(4):864-73. doi: 10.1039/c3mt00328k.
- Chakrabarti P*, Kim JY, Singh M, Shin Y-K, Kim J, Kumbrink J, Wu Y, Lee M-J, Kirsch KH, Fried SK, and Kandror KV. Insulin inhibits lipolysis in adipocytes via the evolutionary conserved mTORC1-Egr1-ATGL-mediated pathway. (2013) Mol Cell Biol, 33:3659-66 (Featured in World Biomedical Frontiers, Feb 2014, http://biomedfrontiers.org/diabetes-2014-1-16/) doi: 10.1128/MCB.01584-12.
- Shakun Karki, Partha Chakrabarti, Guanrong Huang, Hong Wang, Stephen R. Farmer, Konstantin V. Kandror. The Multi-Level Action of Fatty Acids on Adiponectin Production by Fat Cells. (2011) PLoS One, 6: e28146 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0028146.
- Partha Chakrabarti, Taylor English, Shakun Karki, Li Qiang, Rong Tao, Juyoun Kim, Zhijun Luo, Stephen R. Farmer and Konstantin V. Kandror. SIRT1 controls lipolysis in adipocytes via FoxO1-mwdiated expression of ATGL. (2011) J Lipid Res, 52:1693-701. doi: 10.1194/jlr.M014647.
- Partha Chakrabarti, Taylor English, Jun Shi, Synthia M. Smas and Konstantin V. Kandror. Mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1 suppresses lipolysis, stimulates lipogenesis and promotes fat storage. (2010) Diabetes, 59: 775-781. doi: 10.2337/db09-1602.
- Partha Chakrabarti and Konstantin V. Kandror. FoxO1 controls insulin-dependent ATGL expression and lipolysis in adipocytes. (2009) J. Biol. Chem. 284, 13296-13300. (Featured in Nature Lipodomics gateway http://www.lipidmaps.org/update/2009/090527/full/lipidmaps.2009.8.html) doi: 10.1074/jbc.C800241200.
- Partha Chakrabarti, Takatoshi Anno, Brendan Manning, Zhijun Luo and Konstantin V. Kandror. The mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1 regulates leptin biosynthesis in adipocytes at the level of translation: the role of the 5'-untranslated region in the expression of leptin messenger ribonucleic acid. (2008) Mol. Endocrinol. 22: 2260-2267.
- Ramkrishna Gupta, Partha Chakrabarti, Madhu Dikshit and Debabrata Dash. Late signaling in the activated platelets upregulates tyrosine phosphatase SHP1 and impairs platelet adhesive functions: Regulation by calcium and Src kinase. (2007) Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1773: 131-140.
- Partha Chakrabarti, Bimal K. Panda and Debabrata Dash. Detection of Gγ(Aγδβ)0 thalassemia in North India. (2006) Clin Chim Acta, 364: 363-364.
- Partha Chakrabarti, Ramkrishna Gupta, Asutosh Misra, Madhukar Rai, Vijay Pratap Singh and Debabrata Dash. Spectrum of -thalassemia mutations in North-Indian states: a -thalassemia trait with two mutations in cis. (2005) Clin Biochem, 38: 576-578.
- Partha Chakrabarti, Zubair Ahmed Karim, Ramkrishna Gupta, Vinita Vadhawan, Saikat Mukhopadhyay and Debabrata Dash. Biochemical characterization of Glanzmann’s Thrombasthenia, a rare genetic disorder affecting platelet function. (2004) Ind J Med Biochem, 8:56-60.
- Nargis T and Chakrabarti P*. Significance of circulatory DPP4 activity in metabolic diseases. IUBMB Life (2017) (DOI: 10.1002/iub.1709)
- Khan MW and Chakrabarti P*. Gluconeogenesis combats cancer: opening new doors in cancer biology. Cell Death and Disease (2015) 6, e1872 ; doi:10.1038/cddis.2015.245
- Chakrabarti P*, Kandror KV. The Role of mTOR in Lipid Homeostasis and Diabetes Progression. (2015) Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 22: 340-46. DOI:10.1097/MED.0000000000000187
- Chakrabarti P *, Kandror KV. Adipose Triglyceride Lipase: A New Target in the Regulation of Lipolysis by Insulin. (2011) Current Diabetes Review, 7: 270-277, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/157339911796397866
- Chakrabarti P*. Promoting adipose specificity: the adiponectin promoter. (2010) Endocrinology, 151: 2408-2410 (Invited News and Views review).