Sib Sankar Roy , Ph.D.
Senior Principal Scientist & HOD
Cell Biology & Physiology
A) Understanding the molecular mechanisms associated with ovarian cancer.
- Interplay and cross-talks among different factors and pathways in ovarian cancer.
- Role of the signaling network and the transcription factors regulating MMPs responsible for invasion, migration and metastasis in ovarian carcinoma.
- Study of different factors and/or signaling pathways inducing EMT.
- Investigating the role of different genes in ovarian disorders with emphasis on collagen metabolism.
B) Investigation on molecular mechanisms behind the insulin resistance and diabetes type 2 (T2DM)
- The molecular mechanism of fatty acid induced insulin resistance is being investigated.
- The role of mitochondrial dysfunction in diabetes is being investigated in suitable model.
- Role of oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of T2DM
- Identifying pharmacological agents and their mode of action in improving FFA induced insulin resistance.
C) To study the role of Homeodomain Transcription factors in diseases:
- The role of homeodomain transcription factor, Pitx2, in maintaining ovarian structure and function is under investigation.
- The involvement of Pitx2 in promoting ovarian cancer through the activation of growth factor gene and /or signaling pathways are being investigated.
Metabolic Disorder Laboratory
PhD, Bose Institute, Kolkata
Post Doc: Harvard School of Public Health, Boston.
Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences, India (FNASc)
Fellow of the West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (FAScT)
Patents & Publications
- Tulika Mitra, Parash Prasad, Pritha Mukherjee, Susri Ray Chaudhuri, Urmi Chatterji and Sib Sankar Roy* (2018) Stemness and chemoresistance are imparted to the OC cells through TGFβ1 driven EMT. J Cell Biochem; 119(7):5775-5787. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26753.
- Bhattacharya R, Mitra T, Chaudhuri SR, Roy SS* (2018) Mesenchymal splice isoform of CD44 (CD44s) promotes EMT/invasion and imparts stem-like properties to ovarian cancer cells. J Cell Biochem. 119(4):3373-3383. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26504.
- Bhattacharya R, Ray Chaudhuri S, Roy SS* (2018). FGF9-induced ovarian cancer cell invasion involves VEGF-A/VEGFR2 augmentation by virtue of ETS1 upregulation and metabolic reprogramming. J Cell Biochem. 119 (10):8174-8189. doi: 10.1002/jcb.26820.
- Atanu Naskar, Susanta Bera, Rahul Bhattacharya, Sib Sankar Roy, Sunirmal Jana (2018); Effect of bovine serum albumin immobilized Au-ZnO-graphene nanocomposite on human ovarian cancer cell. Journal of Alloys and Compounds; 734: 66-74. Doi: 10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.11.029.
- Jain MR, Giri SR, Bhoi B, Trivedi C, Rath A, Rathod R, Ranvir R, Kadam S, Patel H, Swain P, Roy SS, Das N, Karmakar E, Wahli W, Patel PR (2018). Dual PPARα/γ Agonist Saroglitazar Improves Liver Histopathology and Biochemistry in Experimental NASH Models. Liver Int. 38(6):1084-1094. doi: 10.1111/liv.13634.
- Nandi I, Chall S, Chowdhury S, Mitra T, Roy SS, Chattopadhyay K. (2018) Protein Fibril-Templated Biomimetic Synthesis of Highly Fluorescent Gold Nanoclusters and Their Applications in Cysteine Sensing. ACS Omega. 3(7):7703-7714. doi: 10.1021/acsomega. 8b01033.
- Chatterjee D, Bandyopadhyay A, Sarma N, Basu S, Roychowdhury T, Roy SS, Giri AK (2018). Role of microRNAs in senescence and its contribution to peripheral neuropathy in the arsenic exposed population of West Bengal, India. Environ Pollut. 233:596-603. doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2017.09.063.
- Upasana Ray and Sib Sankar Roy* (2018) Aberrant lipid metabolism in cancer cells: the role of oncolipid-activated signaling. FEBS J. 285(3):432-443 doi: 10.1111/febs. 14281. Review. `
- Ananya Pradhan, Surya Kanta Dey, Pralay Maity, Sib Sankar Roy and Sujata Maiti Choudhury (2018) Evaluation of in vitro and in-vivo anti-inflammatory property exhibited by gold Nanoparticles using indole-3-carbinol. International J Current Research in Life Sciences. Vol. 07, No. 11, pp.2809-2812.
- Sarkar-Banerjee S, Chowdhury S, Mitra T, Sanyal D, Roy SS, Chattopadhyay K (2018). The role of intestinal fatty acid-binding proteins in protecting cells for fatty acid induced impairment of mitochondrial dynamics and apoptosis. Cell Physiol Biochem (In Press).
- Upasana Ray, Shreya Roy Chowdhury, Madavan Vasudevan, Kiran Bankar, Susanta Roychoudhury and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Gene regulatory networking reveals the molecular cue to lysophosphatidic acid-induced metabolic adaptations in ovarian cancer cells. Molecular Oncology. 11(5):491-516. doi: 10.1002/1878-0261.12046.
- Shreya Roychowdhury, Upasana Ray, B.P Chatterjee and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Targeted apoptosis in ovarian cancer cells through mitochondrial dysfunction in response to Sambucusnigra agglutinin. Cell Death and Disease (Nature Publishing Group). 8, e2762; doi:10.1038/cddis.2017.77
- Nabanita Das, Ashok Mandala, S Naaz, S Giri, M Jain, D Bandyopadhyay, Russel J. Reiter, Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Melatonin protects against lipid-induced mitochondrial dysfunction in hepatocytes and inhibits stellate cell activation during hepatic fibrosis in mice. J. Pineal Research; 62(4). doi: 10.1111/jpi.12404.
- Ray U, Chowdhury SR, Roy SS. 2017. Lysophosphatidic Acid Promotes Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition in Ovarian Cancer Cells by Repressing SIRT1. Cell Physiol. Biochem. 41:795-805. DOI: 10.1159/000458744.
- Tulika Mitra and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Co-activation of TGFβ and Wnt signalling pathways abrogates EMT in ovarian cancer cells. Cell Physiol. Biochem; 41(4):1336-1345. doi: 10.1159/000464436.
- Nabanita Das, Ashok Mandala, Sudarshan Bhattacharjee, Debasri Mukherjee, Debasish Bandyopadhyay and Sib Sankar Roy* (2017) Dietary fat proportionately enhances oxidative stress and glucose intolerance followed by impaired expression of genes associated with mitochondrial biogenesis. Food Function.;8(4):1577-1586. doi: 10.1039/c6fo01326k.
- Datta S, Choudhury D, Das A, Das Mukherjee D, Das N, Roy SS, Chakrabarti G. (2017) Paclitaxel resistance development is associated with biphasic changes in reactive oxygen species, mitochondrial membrane potential and autophagy with elevated energy production capacity in lung cancer cells: A chronological study. Tumour Biol.; 39(2): doi: 10.1177/1010428317694314.
- Kingshuk Basu, Kousik Gayen, Tulika Mitra, Abhishek Baral, Sib Sankar Roy and Arindam Banerjee (2017) Different color emissive copper nanoclusters and cancer cell imaging. ChemNanoMat; DOI: 10.1002/cnma.201700162.
- Sujata Roy Moulik, Puja Pal, Suravi Majumder, Buddhadev Mallick, Shreyasi Gupta, PayelGuha, Sib Sankar Roy and Dilip Mukherjee (2016) Gonadotropin and sf-1 regulation of cyp19a1a gene and aromatase activity during oocyte development in the rohu, L. rohita. Comp Biochem Physiol, part-A; 196:1-10; doi: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2016.02.004
- A Pradhan et al, S. S. Roy, S. Maiti Choudhury (2016). Gold nanoparticles from indole-3-carbinol exhibit cytotoxic, genotoxic and antineoplastic effects through the induction of apoptosis. RSC Advances. 2016, 6, 56435; DOI: 10.1039/c6ra05591e.
- Atanu Naskar, Susanta Bera, Rahul Bhattacharya, Pritam Saha, Sib Sankar Roy, Tuhinadri Sen and Sunirmal Jana (2016) Synthesis, characterization and antibacterial activity of Ag incorporated ZnO-graphene nanocomposites. RSC Advances, 6, 88751-88761. DOI: 10.1039/c6ra14808e.
- Ashok Mandala, Nabanita Das, Sudarshan Bhattacharjee, Bidisha Mukherjee, Satinath Mukhopadhyay* and Sib Sankar Roy* (2016) Thioredoxin interacting protein mediates lipid-induced impairment of glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Oct 28;479(4):933-939. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2016.09.168. Epub 2016 Oct