Siddik Sarkar , Ph.D.
Cancer Biology & Inflammatory Disorder
Genetic or molecular changes accumulate over time and transform the normal stem, progenitor or even the differentiated cells into cancer stem cells (CSCs) that eventually give rise to heterogeneous tumor. Our initial findings showed that group of cells that are quiescent in nature are responsible for tumor propagation, cancer heterogeneity, epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) and therapy resistance. Thus, targeting the heterogeneous tumor consisting of both fast proliferating matured differentiated as well as the quiescent undifferentiated cells is an unmet medical need and required thorough investigation and attention.
Broadly the research of our laboratory is focused on various objectives and sub-objectives-
- Biomarker identification and big data analysis
- Finding the novel targets or signature molecules and deciphering the signaling cascades involved in heterogeneity, EMT and therapy resistance in cancer focused to breast, ovary and prostate using RNAseq and big data mining.
- Assay development and diagnostics
- Development of molecular (genetics or proteomics) based kit for early detection of cancer
- Development of ultrasensitive aptamer based technology for early detection of cancer biomarker
- Developing cancer transgenic model for real time monitoring of cancer initiation, progression and associated metastases.
- Molecular targeted therapy for cancer and therapy resistant cancer stem cells
- Rational of drug designing and high throughtput screening (HTS) of drugs or small chemicals for ant-cancer agents targeting both proliferating and undifferentiated quiescent stem cells
- Gene therapy or immuno-gene therapy
- Conditional Replication competent Adenovirus
- Suicidal gene therapy
- Gene editing and advancement of chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) therapy
- Personalized medicine
The laboratory is new and located at IICB TRUE (Salt Lake Campus). Promising and exciting ideas/minds are welcome with intent of hard work, collaboration, proper planning and execution to achieve the excellence. Kindly send a research plan (limited to 3 pages or 1500 words) highlighting cancer biology/molecular cell biology /Gene editing and gene therapy for applying for researcher at my laboratory.
- PhD (2006-2010) in Breast cancer and molecular targeted therapy, INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (IIT) KHARAGPUR, WB, INDIA
- Postdoctoral Research (2010-2015) in the Development of viral immune-gene therapy and molecular imaging in cancer detection and prognosis – VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY (VCU), MCV Campus, Richmond, VA, US
- Postdoctoral Associate Scientist (2015-2017) in cancer gene therapy and imaging – RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY, NJ, US
Honours & Awards
- 2016-2017: Received 1 year (2016-2017) research grant (An Effective Chemotherapeutic Approach for Ovarian Cancer Intraperitoneal Metastasis) sponsored by New Jersey Health Foundation. Amount: $ 40,000. Role: Co-PI.
- 2017: Received Gallo Award for scientific excellence presented by Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey for outstanding cancer research “Combination therapy using SN38 and MMAE to kill cancer stem cell-rich ovarian ascites” (May 2017).
- 2016: Received Gallo Award for scientific excellence presented by Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey for outstanding cancer research “ Development of therapeutic protocol for drug resistant ovarian cancer” (May 2016).
- 2011-2013: Received 2 years Postdoctoral fellowship grant (Award Number: W81XWH-11-1-0186. Developing an Effective Therapy for Prostate Cancer. Funding Mechanism: Prostate Cancer Training Award – Postdoctoral – Ph.D or M.D. Award Amount: $116,020.00.) sponsored by U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, Fort Detrick, Maryland, US.
- 2013: Received Travel grant from Department of Defense, U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command to attend the Annual Meeting 2013 held at Washington DC organized by American Association for Cancer Research.
- 2009: Received Travel grant from Department of Biotechnology, India and also from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India to attend the international symposium “ VIII Madrid Breast Cancer Conference”, Madrid, Spain (June 2009).
Patents & Publications
- Sarkar S*, Konar S, Prasad PN, Rajput S, Kumar BNP, et al. Micellear Gold Nanoparticles as Delivery Vehicles for Dual Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor ZD6474 for Metastatic Breast Cancer Treatment. Langmuir. 2017 Aug 8;33(31):7649-7659. PubMed PMID: 28701038. (Corresponding author)
- Malekshah OM, Chen X, Nomani A, Sarkar S, Hatefi A. Enzyme/Prodrug Systems for Cancer Gene Therapy. Curr Pharmacol Rep. 2016 Dec;2(6):299-308. PubMed PMID: 28042530
- Bhutia SK, Behera B, Das DN, Mukhopadhyay S, Sinha N, Panda PK, Naik PP, Patra SK, Mandal M, Sarkar S, Menezes ME, Talukdar S, Maiti TK, Das SK, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Abrus agglutinin is a potent anti-proliferative and anti-angiogenic agent in human breast cancer. Int J Cancer. 2016 Jul 15;139(2):457-66. PubMed PMID: 26914517.
- Sarkar S, Pradhan A, Das S, Emdad L, Sarkar D, Pellecchia M, Fisher PB. Novel therapy of prostate cancer employing a combination of viral-based immunotherapy and a small molecule BH3 mimetic. Oncoimmunology. 2016 Mar;5(3):e1078059. PubMed PMID: 27141334.
- Rajput S, Puvvada N, Kumar BN, Sarkar S, Konar S, Bharti R, Dey G, Mazumdar A, Pathak A, Fisher PB, Mandal M. Overcoming Akt Induced Therapeutic Resistance in Breast Cancer through siRNA and Thymoquinone Encapsulated Multilamellar Gold Niosomes. Mol Pharm. 2015 Dec 7;12(12):4214-25. PubMed PMID: 26505213.
- Kumar BN, Puvvada N, Rajput S, Sarkar S, Venkatesan P, Pal I, Dey G, Konar S, Mazumdar A, Kundu SC, Pathak A, Fisher PB, Mandal M. Sequential release of tamoxifen and diosgenin from hollow manganese ferrate nanocarriers for breast cancer treatment. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2015 October 06; 3:90-101.
- PuvvadaN, Rajput S, Kumar BN, Sarkar S, Konar S, Brunt KR, Rao R, Mazumdar A, Das, SK, Basu R, Fisher PB, Mandal M, Pathak A. Novel ZnO hollow-nanocarriers containing paclitaxel targeting folate-receptors in a malignant pH-microenvironment for effective monitoring and promoting breast tumor regression. Sci Rep. 2015 Jul 6;5:11760. PubMed PMID: 26145450
- Das P, Sarkar S, Mandal M, Sen R. Green surfactant of marine origin exerting a cytotoxic effect on cancer cell lines. RSC advances. 2015 June 10; 5:53086-53094.
- Quinn BA, Dash R, Sarkar S, Azab B, Bhoopathi P, Das SK, Emdad L, Wei J, Pellecchia M, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Pancreatic Cancer Combination Therapy Using a BH3 Mimetic and a Synthetic Tetracycline. Cancer Res. 2015 Jun 1;75(11):2305-15. PubMed PMID: 26032425
- Sarkar S, Quinn BA, Shen X-N, Dash R, Das SK, Emdad L, Klibanov AL, Wang X-Y, Pellecchia M, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Therapy of prostate cancer using a novel cancer terminator virus and a small molecule BH-3 mimetic. Oncotarget. 2015 May 10;6(13):10712-27. PubMed PMID: 25926554
- Sarkar S, Quinn BA, Shen X, Dent P, Das SK, Emdad L, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Reversing translational suppression and induction of toxicity in pancreatic cancer cells using a chemoprevention gene therapy approach. Mol Pharmacol. 2015 Feb;87(2):286-95. PubMed PMID: 25452327
- Dey KK, Sarkar S, Pal I, Das S, Dey G, Bharti R, Banik P, Ray JG, Maity S, Kulavi I, Mandal M. Mechanistic attributes of S100A7 (psoriasin) in resistance of anoikis resulting tumor progression in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity. Cancer Cell Int. 2015;15:74. PubMed PMID: 26225121
- Bhatnagar A, Wang Y, Mease R, Gabrielson M, Sysa P, Minn I, Green G, Simmons B, Gabrielson K, Sarkar S, Fisher PB, Pomper M.. AEG-1 promoter-mediated imaging of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2014 Oct 15;74(20):5772-81. PubMed PMID: 25145668
- Pal I, Sarkar S, Rajput S, Dey KK, Chakraborty S, Dash R, Das SK, Sarkar D, Barile E, De S, Pellecchia M, Fisher PB, Mandal M. BI-69A11 enhances susceptibility of colon cancer cells to mda-7/IL-24-induced growth inhibition by targeting Akt. Br J Cancer. 2014 Jul 8;111(1):101-11. PubMed PMID: 24892445
- Dash R, Bhoopathi P, Das SK, Sarkar S, Emdad L, et al. Novel mechanism of MDA-7/IL-24 cancer-specific apoptosis through SARI induction. Cancer Res. 2014 Jan 15;74(2):563-74. PubMed PMID: 24282278
- Sarkar S, Azab B, Quinn BA, Shen X, Dent P, et al. Chemoprevention gene therapy (CGT) of pancreatic cancer using perillyl alcohol and a novel chimeric serotype cancer terminator virus. Curr Mol Med. 2014 Jan;14(1):125-40. PubMed PMID: 24236457.
- Azab BM, Dash R, Das SK, Bhutia SK, Sarkar S, Shen XN, Quinn BA, Dent P, Dmitriev IP, Wang XY, Curiel DT, Pellecchia M, Reed JC, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Enhanced prostate cancer gene transfer and therapy using a novel serotype chimera cancer terminator virus (Ad5/3-CTV). J Cell Physiol. 2014 Jan;229(1):34-43. PubMed PMID: 23868767
- Sarkar S, Rajput S, Tripathi AK, Mandal M. Targeted therapy against EGFR and VEGFR using ZD6474 enhances the therapeutic potential of UV-B phototherapy in breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer. 2013 Oct 20;12(1):122. PubMed PMID: 24138843
- Sarkar S, Azab BM, Das SK, Quinn BA, Shen X, et al. Chemoprevention gene therapy (CGT): novel combinatorial approach for preventing and treating pancreatic cancer. Curr Mol Med. 2013 Aug;13(7):1140-59. PubMed PMID: 23157679.
- Rajput S, Kumar BN, Sarkar S, Das S, Azab B, Santhekadur PK, Das SK, Emdad L, Sarkar D, Fisher PB, Mandal M. Targeted apoptotic effects of thymoquinone and tamoxifen on XIAP mediated Akt regulation in breast cancer. PLoS One. 2013;8(4):e61342. PubMed PMID: 23613836
- Hedvat M, Emdad L, Das SK, Kim K, Dasgupta S, Thomas S, Hu B, Zhu S, Dash R, Quinn BA, Oyesanya RA, Kegelman TP, Sokhi UK, Sarkar S, Erdogan E, Menezes ME, Bhoopathi P, Wang XY, Pomper MG, Wei J, Wu B, Stebbins JL, Diaz PW, Reed JC, Pellecchia M, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Selected approaches for rational drug design and high throughput screening to identify anti-cancer molecules. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2012 Nov;12(9):1143-55. PubMed PMID: 22931411
- Azab BM, Dash R, Das SK, Bhutia SK, Shen XN, Quinn BA, Sarkar S, Wang XY, Hedvat M, Dmitriev IP, Curiel DT, Grant S, Dent P, Reed JC, Pellecchia M, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Enhanced delivery of mda-7/IL-24 using a serotype chimeric adenovirus (Ad5/3) in combination with the Apogossypol derivative BI-97C1 (Sabutoclax) improves therapeutic efficacy in low CAR colorectal cancer cells. J Cell Physiol. 2012 May;227(5):2145-53. PubMed PMID: 21780116
- Quinn BA, Dash R, Azab B, Sarkar S, Das SK, Kumar S, Oyesanya RA, Dasgupta S, Dent P, Grant S, Rahmani M, Curiel DT, Dmitriev I, Hedvat M, Wei J, Wu B, Stebbins JL, Reed JC, Pellecchia M, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Targeting Mcl-1 for the therapy of cancer. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2011 Oct;20(10):1397-411. PubMed PMID: 21851287
- Sarkar S, Mazumdar A, Dash R, Sarkar D, Fisher PB, Mandal M. ZD6474 enhances paclitaxel antiproliferative and apoptotic effects in breast carcinoma cells. J Cell Physiol. 2011 Feb;226(2):375-84. PubMed PMID: 20665703.
- Sethi K, Sarkar S, Das S, Rajput S, Mazumder A, Roy B, Patra S, Mohanty B, El-Naggar AK, Mandal M. Expressions of CK-19, NF-kappaB, E-cadherin, beta-catenin and EGFR as diagnostic and prognostic markers by immunohistochemical analysis in thyroid carcinoma. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2011;9(3):187-99. PubMed PMID: 22070050.
- Dash R, Azab B, Shen XN, Sokhi UK, Sarkar S, Su ZZ, Wang XY, Claudio PP, Dent P, Dmitriev IP, Curiel DT, Grant S, Sarkar D, Fisher PB. Developing an effective gene therapy for prostate cancer: New technologies with potential to translate from the laboratory into the clinic. Discov Med. 2011 Jan;11(56):46-56. PubMed PMID: 21276410
- Thakur G, Mitra A, Rousseau D, Basak A, Sarkar S, Pal K. Crosslinking of gelatin-based drug carriers by genipin induces changes in drug kinetic profiles in vitro. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2011 Jan;22(1):115-23. PubMed PMID: 21107660.
- Sarkar S, Mazumdar A, Dash R, Sarkar D, Fisher PB, Mandal M. ZD6474, a dual tyrosine kinase inhibitor of EGFR and VEGFR-2, inhibits MAPK/ERK and AKT/PI3-K and induces apoptosis in breast cancer cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2010 Apr 15;9(8):592-603. PubMed PMID: 20139705.
- Sethi K, Sarkar S, Das S, Mohanty B, Mandal M. Biomarkers for the diagnosis of thyroid cancer. J Exp Ther Oncol. 2010;8(4):341-52. PubMed PMID: 21222366.
- Sarkar S, Mandal M. Growth factor receptors and apoptosis regulators: signaling pathways, prognosis, chemosensitivity and treatment outcomes of breast cancer. Breast Cancer (Auckl). 2009 Aug 17;3:47-60. PubMed PMID: 21556249
- Mandal SM, Dey S, Mandal M, Sarkar S, Maria-Neto S, Franco OL. Identification and structural insights of three novel antimicrobial peptides isolated from green coconut water. Peptides. 2009 Apr;30(4):633-7. PubMed PMID: 19111587.
- Ghosh K, Chandra K, Ojha AK, Sarkar S, Islam SS. Structural identification and cytotoxic activity of a polysaccharide from the fruits of Lagenaria siceraria (Lau). Carbohydr Res. 2009 Mar 31;344(5):693-8. PubMed PMID: 19264294.
Use of a truncated CCN1 promoter for cancer diagnostics, therapeutics and theranostics. (US9750823B2). Paul B. Fisher, Siddik Sarkar, Swadesh K. Das, Rupesh Dash, Devanand Sarkar, Windle. Assignee Virginia Commonwealth University. Patent granted on 2017-09-05.